• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kings205gti

Difference Between Phase 1 And Phase 2?

Guest kings205gti

What exactly is the difference between a ph 1 and ph 2 pug 205 apart from the rear clusters and clear indicators.

jeremy

Dashboard

Interior

Steering wheel

hd_andy

-Black exterior trim instead of grey

-Black dashboard

-Black half leather (cheque pattern)

-Black door cards

-Black steering wheel

pacey205

As andy says although thats more Phase 1.5 to 2 as the first change is from the dashboard style. Also you are likely to get mictures of phase 1.5 and 2 as mine is a 1990 G ith the old style clusters but with the new style grey dashboard and trim and red check seats.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

j_turnell

Basically, phase1 all plastic grey.

phase2 all plastic black. Plus changes in lights and seats.

Guest kings205gti

Mine is a late 1989 G reg and the dash looks similar to some ph2 but the rear clusters are ph 1.

Super Josh

I am always confused by this. Surely a model upto ~87 is a phase one, then the new dash came out so that would be a phase two(ie a complete change), then minor changes later one(ie trim and interior a different colour and differnt colour lights) so that should be a phase 2.5. Or am I missing something completely.

Josh

• Like 1

Rob_the_Sparky

Yep, this is being over simplified as there were 3 phases of GTi.

Early ones had different dash (real phase 1) with sliders for heater controls.

Phase 1.5 had updated dash

Phase 2 = phase 1.5 but all grey plastic now black, different seat trim and different rear clusters (plus minor changes under the bonnet)

Rob

ScoobyJawa

Also, phase 2 cars had the PAS/ABS/CAT option (CAT later standard), don't think the earlier cars did (except the G plate special edition sorrento and miami)

jonnie205

Phase 2 also have different style door hinges. Bolts for the door pin instead of actual pins which are much better and dont wear out half as much

adam_young

And different wing mirrors/adjusters and parcel shelf. :(:P

Its daft the way we have all come to think about in, because it should be 3 phases a bit like a 306.

There are not many early phase 1s about now. Also quite a few people think they have a phase 2 on a 1990, because they changed to the black leather. However the trim is still grey.

pacey205

I dunno about wing mirrors they changed really early on didnt they as Ive seen phase ones with the newer (and worse looking in my opinion) style of wingmirrors.

Had forgotten about the parcel shelf/dorr pins though. Why did they ever change the parcel shelf though the old stlye of supports were much better. The cup ones just keep bloody breaking all the time :(

Michael

Col

just to mess things up, it appears that on my ph2 ive got ph1 parcel shelf mounts :(

ScoobyJawa

Wing mirrors changed same time as dashboard changed in 87. Then to black in phase 2 to match the trim..................

Leet205

hinges on the boot are diffrent also i think

Edited by Leet205

Sign in to follow this