• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

Eccentric Top Mounts - What Do I Need?

mbayley77

Have been searching but not come up with anything.

Having just aqyured a set of coilovers I now woud like to use eccentric top mounts with them. Have seen the mounts on rally design and compbrake but my question is this.

What exactly do I need in order to set up my car on eccentric top mounts? (of course this is for my 205 which has the usual 309 driveshaft and wishbone setup).

Let the list begin :)

1. Coilovers (tick)

2. Eccentric top mount (tick)

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

etc etc

Thanks

GTI6BOY

thats it isn't it?

dont they just replace the normal top mounts?

Jrod

You need certain coilovers with long top inserts, I think only Bilsteins have these.

You also need the little spacer things but they come with the mounts if you buy from compbrake.

Edited by Jrod

mbayley77

what happens about all the rubber bushes and the bearing etc. Are they kept or replaced by the new mount? Sorry for being novice. Would just like a complete shopping list before I buy something and realize I need more.

Jrod

All of that goes in the bin.

All you need is coilovers with long top inserts, the top spring pans for eccentric mounts (I got mine from skip brown cars) the actual mounts, the spacers nut which which come with the mounts.

VisaGTi16v

So wheres the bearing then if you dump the standard one, in the new top mount itself? You don't have to modify the body do you ie drill new holes ?

Tom Fenton

I'm too confused on this one, I've recently acquired some AVO coilovers, at the moment they are fitted with standard type top mounts, the order of assy is as follows, lower seat screws onto body, spring, upper seat sits ontop of spring, standard type bearing on top of the upper seat, intermediate plate above this as per standard, rubber bush above this, then the standard top mount plate, then finally the dished washer, plain washer, and nut.

To change to eccentric mounts can I junk everything from the standard bearing upwards, then just seat the top of the standard bearing on the bottom of the eccentric mount?

welshpug

naah you junk everything from the top spring pan upwards, the eccentric top mounts have a small diameter bearing in them, hence why you can shift the strut so far inwards.

Tom Fenton

So how is the spring allowed to turn against the top mount?

welshpug

eh? the spring sits in the top spring pan, that sits against the bearing that's in the top mount.

Tom Fenton

Looks like I need a different top spring seat then, the one I have is to suit the std bearing.

welshpug

sounds likely, I'm trying to find some pictures to explain what I think I mean <_<

mbayley77

Im thinking pictures / diagrams and photos are a good idea ha ha.

VisaGTi16v

ah that makes a bit more sense looking at your link. I have two of those top mounts a friend gave me although they dont have as many holes in. The other thing thats confusing my small brain, how do you then bolt them to the car? Drop 3 bolts down through the holes in the body, through the top mounts and put nuts on from underneath?

The inner diameter of the nut and spacer that came with them is ~14mm, sound about right?

I could probably get the engineering lot at my work to put more holes in the ones I have to make them similar to yours?

cheers

edit: Scrub that, they are not eccentric ones heh but at least I now understand a bit more and have the nut and spacer :angry:

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Jrod

Yes just use 3 bolts and I'm guessing yours are concentric?

VisaGTi16v

Yer just sussed that out and the fact they are threaded holes lol. I need to get some new shocks so will be off searching on here for info. I need to get something made up for the rear as they are samba/104 style on the Visa but at the end of the day its a horizontal hole at the bottom and a threaded bit at the top, I should be able to find something of the correct length then use one of these top mounts. Works owns a engineering company so they could modify to suit. Another thing on the winter "ideal if I can do it" job list heh

Dave G

how do these fair with the log book strut tops with the strengthening plates welded on the strut tops or do it not make a difference

Jrod

Not sure what you mean by the log book but with plates they are fine as the plates i've seen all go ontop. Just need some longer bolts! :angry:

Sign in to follow this