• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Will This Be A Decent Engine?

pugpete1108

Basically I need a new engine as the one I have is already showing signs of oil in the water again.

I will be scrapping my ph3 306 cab soon so was thinking of pulling the engine out of that and using the bottom end ( where I think mine I'd cracked) with the j4rs head on it? The 306 is the 1.8 16v one (not sure on code?)

I planned of fitting tb's anyway so the lower capacity is not an issue.

I was just wondering if the head and block were fully compatible? And if it was just a straight swap?

Worth the hassle? Given its a free engine

pugpete1108

did a bit of reading up on this and it seems there was a post recently about this conversion.

lighter block with near on the same power in std form sounds good to me.

chuck some bodies on and bwarp bwarp.

how do you go about timing this up then? using the std timing marks on both top and bottom?

pug_ham
how do you go about timing this up then? using the std timing marks on both top and bottom?

Yes, use standard timing marks to start with & then play with the vernier pulleys if required to get the timing exactly right.

g

welshpug

make sure you use the right pulleys with the right cams, jp4 and J4R and J4RS hubs are different (one J4R is the same as both J4RS)

pugpete1108

I was just planning on plonking the j4rs head directly on the xu7 bottom end?

Do I need adjustable pulleys then? I'm sure mine are not adjustable?? Could be wrong but....

Anthony

All GTi-6 pulleys are adjustable, just the design differs between early and late types

(early ones are a traditional style vernier with three bolts holding the inner and outer section together, whereas the later type is held together using the main center bolt)

• Like 1

S@m

The j4rs has adjustable pullies as standard.

EDIT - beaten to it!

Edited by Sam306

damien

ive got my old gti6 bottom end if your intrested in it pete

pugpete1108

Must be a late one then cos I'm pretty sure it's not got the three outer bolts.

It's a vts engine does that make a difference ?

Cheers daim but I'm proper skint mate so this 'free' engine makes sence plus I like the idea of a lighter engine

welshpug

28craig has done one of these, and I think sandy has done something similar, as well as a couple of race builds.

Sign in to follow this