• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chriswhiteuk

Best Induction Make

chriswhiteuk

Hi

Just ordered an airbox with a 76mm inlet and have been looking at my options for filtration.

I used to have a large cone filter in the wing connected to a duct that lead to the intake.

But now there are the sealed induction kits that I could use, like Pipercross Viper, Green Twister, BMD carbon thingy - are these really beneficial to me ?

I understand how they could work with an AFM, with the ram effect and *very* slight pressure charging from the in 100mm drop to 76mm out.

Am I better off saving my money and sticking a huge filter in the wing and running a duct to the airbox ?

OR

Do I get one of those sealed type Viper kits and have the 100mm duct coming straight into that, then the 76mm coming out the other end into my airbox ??

Any opinions ?

Cheers

Whitey

chriswhiteuk

£170 - bit steep - Viper induction kit - but tempting

Was thinking, as usual . . .

If I put the filter in the wing, the car will "suck" air from the wing.

If I use the Viper on the airbox, then have the 100mm duct running right from the foglight intake (then a 3/4 metre run) direct into the Viper, then in theory the box WILL be pressurised (be it slightly).

Plus (show and shine coming out in me) it'll look nice, and I'll "get bare respect from the townies at Kingston college, init, cuz I is got a Viper unda da bonnet"

Chris

GtiMad
Am I better off saving my money and sticking a huge filter in the wing and running a duct to the airbox

YES. :)

What type of airbox did you get mate, do you mind me asking how much it was?

chriswhiteuk

well, I'm gonna wait to see what Bridgecraft can knock up in Feb time.

But I found this airbox and am trying to get hold of one.

It's in the U.S yes, but will cost about £130 sent.

Chris

red

Make sure that includes import tax as well, as I bought a Lambda sensor and AF meter from Canada and after all the tax and messing around it just wasn't worth it.

Regards Russ.....

Sam

is 76mm big enough flow wise ?!?!!?!?

surely 40+40+40+40 at least?

chriswhiteuk

I thought about it, but isn't it 1+4 cylinders, then 2+3 up and down ?

ooh, got me thinking now ! I know that's enough for 40 + 40 inducting at a time.

pug_ham

beast.jpg

Looks similar to this one on a 205 that I saw somewhere.

Speak to Bridgecraft & I'm sure they could do something similar.

Graham.:)

chriswhiteuk

Ordered this one from Playskool :

2002eng002.jpg

Cost £70 GRP, so it'll give me something to do. Like said by GTi, I'm gonna stick a large dia KN in the wing - if they do one with a 102mm opening !

By doing this, it's still gonna cost a lot less than a Viper ! Silly me, slap my wrists !

Chris

Sam

Get a before and after RR tho to prove me wrong, pleeease... i wanna know but i still think the biggest opening possible and maybe even 2..... its kinda like going back to std inlet if you go too small

DrSeuss

You may lose some top end power but that will be made up for in gains in noise levels etc. You'll only have one cylinder at a time on their induction stroke, so a 76mm hole should allow for this adequately!

chriswhiteuk

Hi, will be doing that - the cover just unlatches, so I'll get it run with and without the cover.

That one has a 100mm inlet that should be ok.

Should be a able to hussle about a bit better without attracting too much attention and be able to hear something when commuting (or playing) on the motorway hehe.

Chris

GtiMad

That lools really good, have you got a link for there website mate? :)

speedy indy

Quickshift ones sound quite nice ......

chriswhiteuk

Hi

Playskool

Gonna take a fortnight to arrive and you have to pay buy cheque !

See how mine turns out before getting one though !

Quickshift ? Do they do airboxes or filters ?

Chris

Ahl

Keep in mind that the area of the inlet isnt the same as the diameter of the inlet.

area = [pi] x radius squared, so 76mm diameter inlet = 4538mm squared and 2 x 40mm inlets = 2514mm squared in total.

How wide is the standard inlet pipe?

Edited by Ahl

GtiMad

£70 is a good price I think, do you know if they do them for 6 cylinder applications?

Cheers

Edited by GtiMad

chriswhiteuk

I think they do . . . be best to conatct them. I didn't see one in their brochure that I downloaded.

Hopefully this will be of good quality !

How do you cut carbon fibre ? Will a 45mm tank cutter go through it eventually ?

jackherer
Like said by GTi, I'm gonna stick a large dia KN in the wing - if they do one with a 102mm opening !

I have a k&n cone with a 140mm opening so you should have no problems getting a smaller one.

TB_205GTI

beast.jpg

Looks similar to this one on a 205 that I saw somewhere.

Speak to Bridgecraft & I'm sure they could do something similar.

Graham.:P

Thta's the first 205 with twin airfilters I have seen :rolleyes:

base-1
I'll get bare respect from the townies at Kingston college, init

but no respectful bears, or bear-related products :rolleyes:

chriswhiteuk

K&N finally turned up :

filter1.jpg

Too big to stick in the wing though - so it's gonna have to sit above the incoming duct from the bumper :

filter2.jpg

This is probably better as it won't get as wet - but then again I won't get the benefit of the cool wing air.

When the airbox comes I'll probably end up cramming it in the wing with a little pursuasion !!

Whitey

Back to the classic Nokia phone pics !!

chriswhiteuk

In the wing, as in the wheelarch - under where it is sitting in the photo, so it's completely out of the engine bay.

crf450

I'm 95% sure that a 76mm inlet will flow enough air for about 250bhp, my inlet on my old air box was 97mm this flowed enough air for 300bhp.

Your best bet is PM Jonnoshore if you want to be sure,he designs air boxes for motorsport for a job.

Cheers Martin

Sam

In the wheel arch surely = covered in mud or do you have an arch liner style thing?

Sign in to follow this