• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

stef205

[car_upgrade] Stef's 205 Gti6 Conversion And Tidy

stef205

Had been nursing the engine for a while, started pushing water out and started to run hotter. Decided it was time to pull it out. 
The original plan was just to lift the head and repair what was needed.

38628097952_760c38635e_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr
Which in turn changed to this.

37772630425_51d03d34d2_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Now it had become a full engine build and a engine bay tidy and repaint.   :itwasntme: 

Engine strip began

38604453006_a520f421b6_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Yes a FIBRE gasket! I did 40k on this 35k with boost!

38660276421_a0f08e7b34_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Head and valves seemed ok.

The head was then sent to sandy to work his magic :)

in the mean time the block was fully stripped and inspected, Big ends where in top shape but the mains had taken a small blow. 
It really wasnt worth spending money on a cast crank so i raided the spare hdi engine for its forged crank :D

quick test fit of the 88mm crank

38660247651_b67f66e2d9_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

xu5/7/9 thurst washers need to use this crank in a xu10 block.

block was cleaned and gave it a slight hone. The block wasnt scored or did it have any lip at the top it was mearly to score bore up.
38604457076_9910beb754_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

genuine peugeot mains fitted to the block

38628173962_348392056f_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

38628122522_3cb4fecbd4_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Pistons in and mated to the crank with some arp bolts. 

Head returned from sandy 

24787730578_2de4170bdb_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

About as much as i can show you :P
The head also received new valve guides, and serdi valve seats head was skimmed abit more than expected but wont effect the build. 
head was put back on with a genuine gasket, genuine bolts and added some newman camshafts to the mix.

38661688841_a224697f79_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr
secretly there just boxes ;)

The standard exhaust manifold was modified, the flange appeared to be the restricting part as it really funnel necks down. I removed the flange and opened the collector to match the exhaust sizing i plan to use. 
The mandatory v-band was added 
37942513844_6e9f426031_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

26884542349_f22f7daec7_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Wont stay that clean im sure.

I turned my attention to the engine bay. 
I fully stripped all the paint off the bay with industrial paint stripper as it was easier. Then my good friend that paints at mclaren came down and painted the bay for me. Not bad considering the conditions. 

38660258951_8eea62a001_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr
fuel lines were replaced to ali lines and clipped to the bulkhead.

38603929436_34d0d78710_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr
engine was lifted back in, surprisingly i didnt scratch anything :lol:

37942446864_56cd19073a_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Oil cooler was moved to sit behind the fog light hole in the valance. 

started the exhaust build

38627798612_1bf33e7e3a_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

38604245676_18f7797c23_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

37772739165_4852b98876_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

38660217641_a2935baed4_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

26884294419_5f99f01c9d_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

The engine started for the first time, Ecu naturally isnt happy. Ill be getting it back down to sandy at some point. 

The day before mapping, I drained the oil from the engine as it was only used to run the engine for the first time and to get it through its first lot of heat cycles. 
Drain and refilled with mobil 10w/60 and a genuine oil filter. 

39050992341_800a33d255_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Oil choices can be very opinionated but ive used this stuff since owning the car and its served me well with no failures or issues so i just continue to use it.

39050991281_0d2111568e_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Loaded up and headed for Cornwall!

Arrived at ARM bmw and motorsport and what a place! 

As always nothing goes to plan and tbh i never expected it to with a new setup. As we got into the higher pulls and higher loads suddenly we had a real rough idling issue, after about 30mins of looking for a air leak we discovered the exhaust cam pulley had slipped! luckily i had built the engine with plenty of valve to piston clearance so a case of moving the cam back and all was good again! With that said it happened about 3 times again only after full hard pulls. 

I then moved the belt and the pulley to the end of its adjustment so it couldnt move even if it tried which worked! Sandy then continued to work his magic which then saw us welcoming the 205 into the 300hp club! something id never expected to see! completely shocked. 

We called it a day with the map pretty much there i was told there was more in it but for now its enough lol. The car had been completely transformed and is very drive-able and a animal when needed. 

39050992371_4549fee338_b.jpgUntitled by stefan golesworthy, on Flickr

Sadly the gopro failed and the only video i have was filmed on a android potato!

Stef :)

• Like 3

Andy Willis

lovely work throughout! could you put me in touch with the guy who modified you're loom if he's still doing them?

stef205

Has it really been 2017 since i lasted posted in here?! Shameful 

Car still going, better than ever if im honest. Over the years ive moved the car with the times. Ditched alot of old junk and slowly made the car abit more "serious like" 

One major improvement was the change of the ecu, We ditched the omex mainly as the car just out grew it. We decided to go with a Maxx ecu race, having seen these in action at a friends place and having hands on with the tuning software and seeing its capabilities i was sold on it.
We advanced to fully sequential ignition and fueling, drive by wire throttle, staged methanol injection, engine protection features like oil pressure, temp, battery pretty much every protection its there. Wireless switching for various things via a tablet which also displays data removing the need for gauges. I wired the ecu on its own fresh wiring circuit thanks to a maxx ecu fuse box which is wired straight to the battery and we also removed any unneeded wires within the car. In short term the ecu can do anything we need.  

Engine has pretty much remained the same but with the ability to control it abit finer now, we added methanol injection to control air temps when on track and to prevent any knock despite a good knock control table. We also gave it the "party pulley" I still stand by that i was pressured into fitting it. With that we fitted some new bosch 550cc injectors. Power wise it made 309whp on a very harsh dyno dynamics but ive neither worried about figures to speak. It drives, its safe, good enough.

Heater box was ditched for one of those track heaters as the oem heater never delivered heat to the screen despite many repair attempts. 

Cage was updated to a safety device cage with a few more bars, with the car getting quicker it made sense. Powder coated in the mandatory red.

Brake system is currently going through a major overhaul, still running the nissan skyline calipers up front and gti6 rears we managed to set fire to them at combe one day :lol: With that ive decided to bin it all, I didnt want to suffer again or experience brake loss at 140mph+ towards avon rise. As most will know im not one for buying stuff off the shelf so i made some brackets and fitted some wilwood 4 pots to the rear, yes the rear :D with some modified 207 stub axles in the lathe and some spacers here and there and we now have a vented rear set up. Surprisingly not much weight gain and abut 3mm added track width - win in my eyes, Theyve also got some lovely handbrake levers built with in the caliper to please my mot man. Although it will be backed up by hydraulic.
Fronts im still awaiting to arrive but again probably ott but meh. I looked around for awhile and also drew some brackets but in the end decided on some ksport 6 pots and some btcc pads, i plan on doing some serious endos and skids at the local maccy d's so well worth it! 
There was no question the servo had to be ditched especially to supply fluid to those calipers, a bias pedal box is now in the works.

Exhaust is something ive struggled with not only with noise but actually getting it to survive more than a few years. I ripped it all off and made a new system 3" downpipe which traverses into a 2.5 system with a long repackable silencer in the middle feeding a big 8"x24" round rear repackable silencer with a out come of a respectable 92db 

Since most of this ive really actually enjoyed driving it and has made it drivable again, i secretly fell out of love with it for some time but managed to find the love again, in the summer days its a real hard choice which to drive 205 or evo even climbing over scaffolding. 
On a serious note i do owe alot of credit to Stephen at p v engineering, even after supplying the ecu, sensors etc the after care support was amazing, always had time to explain and guide me where needed. After supplying him with his jaffer jakes for the year he mapped it with minimal issues even with a broke leg!  

Photos i havent uploaded to anywhere since the downfall of photobucket and my tightness of willing to pay for it :lol:
Although i do upload most stuff to instagram so if you want to bore your self photos can be seen there @stef205 

• Like 1

Anthony

Good to hear that the old girl is still going strong - indeed, stronger than ever :) 

stef205

The last few weeks ive turned my attention to the pedal box, design ive really just winged it but concentrated on the pedal ratio as id rather not be braking with a brick like pedal. 5.6:1 was gained which i hope will be ok. Starting off with .625 cylinder for the fronts and .7 for the rear, Of course this may get changed or swapped at somepoint. I ve also fabbed a brace from the pedal box to the strut brace to try eliminate as much bulkhead flex as possible. 

Brakes have finally arrive from ksport. First impressions are good, seems like a decent kit. Increased disc size from 285s to 304x28 with their 6 pot caliper. Like a utter child i dashed outside to fit them, despite the rain. They clear lovely behind the td pro 3's, only contact is the dust cap on the bleed nipples so might have to leave them off. Ive got some ex btcc pads to go in which will be more than ill ever need. 

In search for more camber ive sent the front hubs to our resident machinist at bridgecraft, Unfortanally i need to use 306 hubs for the abs holes for the traction control sensors, did i mention it had that now? :rolleyes: anyway apon their return the camber should be where its needed. 
Last year i fitted some 25mm torsion bars so i need to update the front springs to match. Something ive massively under looked for the last few years.