• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tdr_1976

[rally_prep] My 205 Constantly Evolving 205 Xs Road Rally Car Project

tdr_1976

Cheers matey - it was one hell of a laugh we had!

Did you get my PM regarding the Engine and gearbox mate?

tomcolinjones

Did i not reply? you are welcome to the engine. it has no inlet manifold or carb tho. it comes with some performance plug leads. you can take it for 50 pounds. you have pm regarding my contact details

tdr_1976

Nothing in my inbox mate, it's not the first time it's happened either :(

I've got the one with your contact details though, will reply now!

rallysteve

Looks good :(

Can I advise that you make the holes a little larger and fit some rubber gromets where those wires come through the alli panel as they will soon rub through to the conductor (trust me I know -_- )

Keep up the good work

Steve

tdr_1976
Looks good :D

Can I advise that you make the holes a little larger and fit some rubber gromets where those wires come through the alli panel as they will soon rub through to the conductor (trust me I know :o )

Keep up the good work

Steve

Cheers mate, glad you like it!

Yes, the holes on the panel are small! I've decided to use it as a template and make a carbon fiber one now complete with gromets.....lol!

tdr_1976

Gave the Car a Full valet yesterday, seeing as the weather was so nice!

It scrubbed up well, ready for the PCA on the weekend now! :)

Dscf3683.jpg

Dscf3685.jpg

I also got a new stainless steel exhaust system fitted last week, I'm very happy with the look of it, it sounds nice too, Four branch manifold next!

Dscf3689.jpg

matt.f

Very nice looks a clean one.What exhaust is it,powerflow?

tdr_1976

Very nice looks a clean one.What exhaust is it,powerflow?

Hi mate,

The exhaust is a custom made job.

VND

Hello mate, personally I think thats a really good finish for a rattlecan job.

Would you mind if I asked (ballpark) how much the SS system cost?

Its something Im looking to do too, but Im starting at the manifold end. :lol:

tdr_1976

Hello mate, personally I think thats a really good finish for a rattlecan job.

Would you mind if I asked (ballpark) how much the SS system cost?

Its something Im looking to do too, but Im starting at the manifold end. :lol:

Hi matey,

Thanks for your comment regarding the rattle job! It's good enough for the job the car does.

Spending upwards of £500 for a paint job only to get the sides scratched by overgrown hedges and general crap on white roads would make me wince..... :lol:

The Exhaust was made by a local Guy, half the middle section is mild steel, coupled into the back box which is all stainless including the section that couples into the middle section.

It cost me £132 including VAT for the job, including fitting a new centre section witch I purchased and took with me for fitting. I had a quote on the price of a Stainless Steel manifold which he said would be around the £350 for a 4-2-1 type.

VND

^Cheers man.

I was thinking around £400 for a full system inc manifold. Or HOPING is maybe a better word. :blink:

Maybe id better rethink my budgeting!

tdr_1976

^Cheers man.

I was thinking around £400 for a full system inc manifold. Or HOPING is maybe a better word. :blink:

Maybe id better rethink my budgeting!

You could potentially do it for that kind of money, but the manifold would have to be a mild steel one.

I'm looking into buying a 106 8v manifold and buying a brand new standard down pipe to cut and add the swan neck to get it to fit over the subframe, as the 106 ones are straight where as the 205 one goes over the subframe.

tdr_1976

Been busy today doing a bit of engine work on the 205.

I had a slight water leak coming from the back of the engine, so I investigated and found that the engine to water pump housing seal was leaking.

I decided that whilst I was taking the housing off, I might as well buy a water pump, cam belt and seal for the small housing for the side of the main housing and get it all done in one hit.

I flushed the whole system out with a hosepipe and put in nice new winter/summer coolant, and is now nice and clean. It was a bit tricky to bleed the water system [especially the heater matrix], but is all done now.

Next weekend, I'm going to fit a new clutch kit, as I burnt it a bit on the last outing :lol:

Lan

please tell me you bought a new tensioner too! bleeding tu's is a pita unfortunatly

VND

I'm looking into buying a 106 8v manifold and buying a brand new standard down pipe to cut and add the swan neck to get it to fit over the subframe, as the 106 ones are straight where as the 205 one goes over the subframe.

Yeah man, I was thinking about that too as they seem freely available and a bit cheaper.

Dont have the skillz to get around the subframe though so I kinda came to a dead end.

Good luck with the upcoming fiddling mate.

VND

bleeding tu's is a pita unfortunatly

?

Really?

Hope I havnt done something wrong then.

I just turned the heaters up, filled the coolant gradually, let it bubble the air up at idle till the bubbles stopped.

Took a while, but everything seems hunky dory now.

Lan

?

Really?

Hope I havnt done something wrong then.

I just turned the heaters up, filled the coolant gradually, let it bubble the air up at idle till the bubbles stopped.

Took a while, but everything seems hunky dory now.

you should be alright but it does take a while the best way is to fill the radiator let that bleed through till it overflows put the rad cap on fill the expansion tank around half way then raise the expansion tank and let the bubbles come out obviously you can also use the bleed screw on the heater matrix pipework too, its certainly much more awkward than most cars

ktm_kate

You could potentially do it for that kind of money, but the manifold would have to be a mild steel one.

Hi, I thought I would add that I am putting a stainless 4 branch manifold on my TU3s.. I got a rallye spec one (correct swan neck but shorter drop on the down pipes) off ebay for £150 and am having the downpipes altered by a local guy.

He has sugested cutting and sleeving to add the extra length and creating spring connected joints (does that make sence?) as welding access is poor, or maybe cutting out the downpipe bits all together and using the flange and rear pipe with custom whole downpipe sections.

I'll be posting the results on my project thread when its all done.

tdr_1976

you should be alright but it does take a while the best way is to fill the radiator let that bleed through till it overflows put the rad cap on fill the expansion tank around half way then raise the expansion tank and let the bubbles come out obviously you can also use the bleed screw on the heater matrix pipework too, its certainly much more awkward than most cars

It took me around an hour or so to get most of the air out of the system.

Even now, there is still a little amount finding it's way out as the water level in the header tank has fallen a bit, but I'll sort that out tomorrow morning via the bleed point on the thermostat housing.

tdr_1976

Hi, I thought I would add that I am putting a stainless 4 branch manifold on my TU3s.. I got a rallye spec one (correct swan neck but shorter drop on the down pipes) off ebay for £150 and am having the downpipes altered by a local guy.

He has sugested cutting and sleeving to add the extra length and creating spring connected joints (does that make sence?) as welding access is poor, or maybe cutting out the downpipe bits all together and using the flange and rear pipe with custom whole downpipe sections.

I'll be posting the results on my project thread when its all done.

I thought about doing it that way, but when you think about it, you might as well get one built from scratch as there's a lot of work involved, because your dealing with four pipes rather than two. If you know someone that can do all that work for you, you might want to think about buying or making the manifold flange rather than cutting up that shiny new manifold :)

I'm still going to go down the 106 8V manifold route, as it'll be easier to weld the swan neck onto the existing down pipes

ktm_kate
I thought about doing it that way, but when you think about it, you might as well get one built from scratch as there's a lot of work involved, because your dealing with four pipes rather than two. If you know someone that can do all that work for you, you might want to think about buying or making the manifold flange rather than cutting up that shiny new manifold :)

I'm still going to go down the 106 8V manifold route, as it'll be easier to weld the swan neck onto the existing down pipes

Yeah, thats prob the best if you're going for a mild steel set up, but I had my heart set on stainless :) Fingers crossed it won't be too much hassle to modify. :S

tdr_1976

Yeah, thats prob the best if you're going for a mild steel set up, but I had my heart set on stainless :) Fingers crossed it won't be too much hassle to modify. :S

I hope it works out for you! Remember some pics when you get it finished! :)

tdr_1976

A few pics of the latest PCA this month :)

MASPCAMarch201101.jpg

MASPCAMarch201103.jpg

MASPCAMarch201102.jpg

MASPCAMarch201104.jpg

MASPCAMarch2011.jpg

VND

B) Cool pics mate,

Looks like you had a blast.

Nav looks happy too. :lol:

tdr_1976

Check out the Serious Face.... :lol:

It was a lot of fun, but it's fairly hard on the car though, especially in the dry!

We've got Round 3 coming up on the 14th Of May :D

The Nav is Always Laughing his arse off........lol!