• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

[trackday_prep] My 1/4 Mile And Trackday Project Car

jackherer

Sounds interesting... Got any pics?

pip470

These are some pics of in differnt stages will take some at the weekend of where its at now

post-8104-1192124982_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192125009_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192125079_thumb.jpg

jackherer

Looks good, how did you raise the trailing edge of the bonnet?

Jrod

Just undo where the hinges bolt to the bonnet and it will have some movement in it.

pip470

I just used two pieces of steel plate. Undo the bonnet from the hinge, mark the four new holes on the plate, two to screw in to the bonnet using the original screw and two for the hinge using two bolts and nuts. Will take pictures at the weekend. I have some 4 mm alli plate now so might make them out of that this time.

pip470

Had a full day on the car today,didnt seem like i got much done though. I mostly was working on getting the smaller alternator lighned up and bolted on. I think ive got it sussed now. Just some more spacers to make and a bit of tydying up on that. The cage that i picked up is in and i was just wieging up what needs to be done. Not looking forward to that. The carbs are now on too so the all need to be plumbed in. Just when i thought i could see the end of the tunnel i seem to have lengthened it again. Ah well what else would i be doing on a sunday

post-8104-1192385512_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192385599_thumb.jpg

pip470

some more pics

post-8104-1192385876_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192385977_thumb.jpg

Edited by pip470

pip470

and some more

post-8104-1192386037_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192386056_thumb.jpg

pip470

and some more

post-8104-1192386121_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1192386168_thumb.jpg

pip470

Just found a pic of the inside the last time i went doen the strip. My 15.79 run. DSCF3195.jpg

pip470

Just some more updates now, Ive fitted the alloy fuel tank in the back, plumbed in the fuel pipe to the carbs through one regulator and got a base map for the ignition. The roll cage is fully fitted so the only thing left to do is finish the exhaust. Im not sure the neighbours like me anymore. It had a few teething problems but i never expected it to all just work. Ive removed the thermostat, I think i will be replacing this with a much lower one of about 70 c if i can. The baby alternator that ive fitted wasnt charging so to fix this i fitted an earth cable to the bady of the alternator on to the block. Musnt of been earthed properly. I need to sought out the oil presure gauge as its not matched with its original sender and just reads 100psi all the time. The warning switch works great and turns a plate of red leds on when the engine is not running. It is possible that i might save my engine when the oil pressure light comes on now but i may crash the car from being blinded by it too. When ive got the exaust fitted im going to book it into mikeanics to get the fuel and ignition set up, and to see what power this engine makes. I really hope it wasnt a step backwards on the 1.9 8v. So all looks good for santa pod in febuary. It would be interesting for you guys to post what times you think the car will do now. I have a figure in my mind what i will be happy with but ill see what you all guestimate first. Will keep you posted thanks for reading.

Henry 1.9GTi

14.5-8 ish mark with practice.

complete guess btw ;)

interesting thread.

Henry.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

Tom Fenton

I've done a bit of drag racing this year, you may have seen the green/white/primer 16v Mini Turbo at the York 2NZ rounds? Best ET is 12.79 @ 111mph, on road tyres, no nitrous. With nitrous I've been over the line at 118mph, but no quicker on ET.

Anyway, weight is the easiest way to go faster, to be honest if I were you I'd be unbolting that roll cage, chances of sticking on the roof down the 1/4 are slim, and you can do without the weight......

Also if possible raise the rear ride height, and fit stiffer torsion bars if you can, wind the rear shocks right up.

A good 60ft time for a front wheel drive car on road tyres is in the 2.2/2.3 region, sounds like you are getting pretty close with the starts. On slicks I have seen front wheel drive down to 1.8/1.9 so that just shows the potential for faster times on slick tyres.

SamGTi

Lookin good Phil. A fair bit of work has gone into that since we last saw it! Nice one ;)

danpug

Looking forward to what sort of power this engine makes. I don't think it'll be a step backwards tbh.

Edited by danpug

pip470

Thanks for all your replys. I know what your saying about the roll cage, I may take it out for the strip and put it back in for the track days, I wasnt intending on doing any track days because it means setting the car up in different ways,but i atteded a couple now as a spectator and it just seems like so much fun. I was wishing i was on the track instead of watching. But anyway. That time is very fast tom, ive only ever been to york once but prefer santa pod, I would definatly like to see the mini. Can you tell me why you didnt get a quicker time with the nitrous. I can only assume you lost more time at the begining with wheelspin. Thanks samgti I would like everybody to see it again some time but for the next year its going to be trailered until the insurance is a bit better. Thank again

Tom Fenton

As you say, the nitrous only makes you faster if you can put the power down, this last year the object was to see how fast we could go in a turbocharged mini in a road legal guise, 12.79s the answer.

If you are interested tap "turbo mini drag" into you-tube, there is an in car video on there.

I'd say definately get the cage out for drag use, all you are doing by leaving it in is offsetting some hard work elsewhere on the car.

pip470

I love that mini. WOW 450kg and 220hp. You have the ultimate power and no wieght. I love the view of that turbo sticking up out of the bonnet through the windscreen. I know what your saying about getting the power down, !st gear seems to be scrambling for grip from the view inside the car but the clip at santa pod looks like it hooked up pretty well. Iv been realy interested in nitrous for the last year or so just reading really. But im hoping to utilize the nitrous better than a turbo setup or supercharger could be used. When ever mega boost is applied traction when setting of is always hindered, My theory is and ive proved it a couple of times myself is that a less powered car can get a better 60ft time because they can get of the line easier and quicker, So if you use a fairly low powered engine say 130hp which is what im hoping for and then use quite a healthy shot of nitrous with a progressive controller say second and third and you will have the benefit of a low power take off with a high power run. But im taking it one step at a time at the minute, A run on just this engine in feb will do for now. Thanks for the vids they were great. Phill

SamGTi
Thanks samgti I would like everybody to see it again some time but for the next year its going to be trailered until the insurance is a bit better. Thank again

Well let us know when you're going to 'Pod and if there is a decent show on or somethin then maybe a few of us can come and see you in action :)

Tom Fenton
I love that mini. WOW 450kg and 220hp. You have the ultimate power and no wieght.

Cheers buddy, yes it is good fun, also an achievement to get 220bhp from 1300cc.

pip470

Hi just an update, after buying an A frame i decided to look into if it was legal, found a line that says something like the maximum unbraked trailer allowance is £750. As my car falls into this catagory i took it to the scrap metal people and asked if they could wiegh it for me. Well im pleased to say it came up at 740kg but im getting the exhaust put on tommorow so thats going to add a bit of weight. Im a bit suspect about there scales, im sure they have them calibrated wrong. A couple of reasons why really, one obviosly if they have to pay less money for there scarp they make more and the other, i was speaking to graham rally on here and his car he told me wieghs 800kg and that is stripped with fiberglass boot and bonnet. I will go to a public weighbridge tommorow afternoon to get a printout but for now i think i have some amunition if the police pull me over tommorow on the way to DES for my down pipe to be fitted up to my sportex exhaust. Will post up some pics tommorow and confirm the wieght of my car with the exhaust. Cheers Phill

sutol

If you just do the 1/4 mile then remove grease from rear wheel bearings and fill with a very light grease and oil mix, make sure the bearings are on the loose side of tight, but no play..

Pump up rear tyres to 50 psi, in fact put base model wheels on the rears with skinny tyres and pump up hard for less rolling resistance and drag.

Lower it to reduce frontal area, this will give the fractions of a sec you need in the last half of the track.

Chuck out anything you dont need, remove fuel tank and run off a 5 ot 10 ltre can, the lighter the better. Have breakfast after the run!

Every little helps in a drag race, track the fronts parallel if rock solid bushes are used if not toe out to compensate for car toeing in on acceleration.

You can do it :)

pip470

So been to DES and happy with my down pipe here are the pics as promised,

post-8104-1201803500.jpg

pip470

Sorry just resizing the pics. To summerize this cost me £105 and it fits great, I would of prefered if they hadnt welded it to my center box but i did not specify this. Niel and dan are top guys and look forward to seeing them again in the future. Phill

post-8104-1201804244.jpg

post-8104-1201804259.jpg

post-8104-1201804271.jpg

post-8104-1201804289.jpg

Pug_Power_Dave

Looks spot on mate! have you had a fire up yet to see how it sounds? looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in feb! that stunt night on the fri looks good to! and just got a £2 off voucher through the post for it lol