• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pip470

[trackday_prep] My 1/4 Mile And Trackday Project Car

pip470

Hi dave, yeah ive fired it up and and a quick drive round the street, Im loving the sound, Its running well too rich at the minute but im taking it mikanics on monday to get it all set up on the rolling road. I cant wait. Cheers for your comments dave, Friday looks like a good night yeah. The weather down here is terrible at the minute. That looks to be my biggest fear that all this work and the weathers going to let me down. I can still have a big pissup i suppose if it rains. Phill

Pug_Power_Dave

Cool, your'll have to do some vid caming / mobile phone camming at the rolling road if you can! always great to hear them gunning it! Im sure there be some nice bits of weather over the wkend as you've got all wkend to get a run in!

applemobile

ditch the passenger seat

pip470

Passenger seat has already gone, Ive just got it in there on the pics as I mounted it for when i get it on the road or do a track day. Dave ive been told to just dissapear when hes got it on the rolling road but ill ask if he can let me see the final power run. That would be good. If i can ill put it on you tube. Cheers Phill

kate205gti

run in hot weather - at pod my times were half a second faster in the heatwave!

cybernck

looks great, did you ask for 205gtidrivers.com discount? ;)

pip470

Nope no discount for forum members on the exhaust. If he did give me a discount he never told me and he was fully aware i was of the forum as he took the pictures so i could post them up. I was also talking to him about the group buy for the forum. Phill

• Like 1

pip470

Rolling road results

post-8104-1202148427_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1202148439_thumb.jpg

Edited by pip470

GTI6BOY

Sorry if im being stupid but i still dont know what engine you have?

You state you have a 1.9gti but in your pics it looks like you have a 6 engine on carbs?

SamGTi

1.8 16v Xsara engine on bike carbs :)

pip470

Ive tried to keep this thread updated, im sure ive put on here that ive changed the engine. As sam said its a xzara 1.8 16v, xu7jp4, with bike carbs and gti 6 manifold. I was told that these engines are 112bhp as standard so its a nice hike up from standard. Mike did a great job at tuning it. He said the timing was way out, the fueling was rich and hes put a 2d map on the ignition management. There is a massive differance from driving it before to now although ive only been round the street. Will see if its going to be faster up the pod on the 15th now. The important thing is that i got a starting figure for all to see and that it was set up correctly. I will be carrying on this thread documenting changes and results. Hope everyone is enjoying reading it as i am at doing it. Phill

• Like 1

Pug_Power_Dave

your before and after results they the same engine before and after tunning today? or are they your results from your old engine to this new one!

either way its a nice hike up, be cool to see what it does now!!! bet you cant wait to go! get practising those launches lol

pip470

Cheers dave. Thats the same engine today, mike did a great job of putting it all right. Your right I cant wait, im just so excited. Its been 9 months since i made that stupid bet with my mate and this is where i am now. Are you still thinking of coming down then dave?

welshpug

that's a great improvement, any plans to fit lumpier cams?

Pug_Power_Dave

Yes mate still planning on comming along! Just been looking at the stunt night on friday looks like it could be a good crack! think i might pop over this sunday for a rwyb day (10th), as i've got a 2.5 V6 to play with :lol: hehe

pip470

Hi welsh pug, Im going to run the engine like this for a little while so i can recoup a bit of money as it has took every last penny. I will definatly be looking at ways of improving it. Thats why I wanted a baseline figure so that we can see what works and what doesnt. Its got to last me the year though really. The main changes will be over winter. I wouldnt mind doing a few nitrous runs too later in the year. How many cars have you got dave? The landy, a pug, maybe a vectra or the like? Sounds like you got the bug bad tooo. This will be the third time this year wont it and its only febuary. Loving it. Phill

• Like 1

Pug_Power_Dave

Oooh nitrous will be fun! wonder how much difference that makes! they dont call it laughing gas for nothing lol! i've got my fair share of cars lol, having abit of a clear out atm and getting rid of (or trying to get rid off) a few!

defo got the bug and yep will be the 3rd time, if you do 4 you get free signing on for the 5th!!!, striving for that mythical perfect run! lol the 2.5 v6 isnt mine, just pinching it for the wkend lol, its a mg zs 180, does 95mph in 3rd which could be intresting!!! i'll report back!

SamGTi

Any plans on getting an MOT for it Phill?

pip470

Hi sam, its still moted at the minute and i really would like to go on the trip to france and germany in it, I have kept all the lights working and the mirrors and such like for the reason of getting it through an mot if I wanted too. I think if the sun starts shining, i will definatly try and get it on the road. I had an insurance qoute of adrian flux with all mods declared with nitrous too for £750 which is ceaper than i pay for my astra van at the minute. Plus it would be nice to come to a meet in it and it would be nice to be able to drive it to santa pod because at the minute im not sure how legal i am towing it with no tax and insurance and with an a frame. So that would be an advantage. I think im also going to miss driving the car as there will be quite long gaps in between racing. I think you just made up my mind sam that probably now in june/july i will bring it back on the road. Cheers Sam

pip470

Ok been at the pod over the 15 16 17th, and tested the new engine a little bit. 30 runs in total just on the saturday as i ran out of money and petrol for that matter on my last run. So, the best time i achieved on the day with this engine was 15.08 @ 92mph. At first i was a little bit dissapointed with this time as i was hoping for 14.5, how ever after talking to maxi who ran his car on the same day, he couldnt achieve the times he had previosly achieved on a warmer day. With that in mind im going to leave the car as it is and wait for the sun to come out in aprill. I met pug power dave too which is always nice too meet like minded people. I am very happy with the engine though as it still beat my last time of 15.2 @89 seven times, so that shows a definate improvement. I need to work on my starts and look at the spread sheet of the gear ratios as things are starting to take a little bit more thought rather than just planting your right foot untill just before the limiter to change gear. The weather was absolutly freezing, I know i prayed for anything other than rain but camping at night was into the minuses and that was not fun. Not sure if i will ever do it again unless im properly prepared with some kind of furnace to keep us warm. We had one of the stoves from halfords but the bloody bottle was so cold that there wasnt enough pressure in the bottle to produce a decent flame. What a joke. So all in all it was fun but not conclusive as to what this engine can do in relative standard form. Roll on aprill. Phill

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb271/p...05/MF4M7103.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb271/p...05/MF4M8061.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb271/p...05/MF4M7361.jpg

SamGTi

Still, you must be pleased to beat your previous best 7 times. Good work Phill.

pip470

Hi sam, yes I am pleased mate, I meant to write it to show that i was pleased, doh. Just like the rolling road figure it has given a benchmark time to go at, how ever like every experiment a few tests should be carried out to get an accurate conclusion so, in april the car in the same state will go back to the pod and im positive it will get a better time. After that the heads coming off and i think ill give it a healthy skim, have the ports played with by B&j engineering and fit some gti 6 cams, Hopefully that should see 140 bhp and then back to the pod again. I wish i lived closer and then it wouldnt be so expensive and a pain in the bum to organise a weekend there. Thanks for your comments Sam.

Phill

SamGTi

I know what you mean about wanting to live closer. Before my engine swap, it took me a tank of fuel to get to Pod and then another tank back!

pip470

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 126

Weight without Driver (KG) : 750

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 170.70

0 - 60 (Secs) : 6.50

0 - 100 (Secs) : 17.66

60 - 100 (Secs) : 11.15

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.97

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 92.09

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.77

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 93.74

Just entered my wieght and fly wheel hp and came up with these figures. Thats more like what i think this car is capable of. Will see in april. Found the calculater here if you want to have ago. http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp. Maybe start a new thread with your results. Cheers Phill

Tom Fenton

What were your 60ft times?

I just tried that calculator, wouldn't let me enter a weight less than 600kg, no good!