• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLumley

[rally_prep] 205 Tarmac Rally Car - N/a And 274bhp

JamesLumley

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of my new engine being installed.

I finally picked it up from Longmans on Thursday after an extensive strip, upgrade and rebuild.

Dyno figures are pretty healthy with 264.6bhp @ 8534, torque is 236.2nm.

My rev limit is set to 8500 but power was still climbing strongly so would hopefully see over 270 if you dared to go higher.

This is one of the ex Vic Lee engines which ran in in the 2001/02 touring cars.

My bank balance is still reeling in pain but I'll let you know whether it was worth it at our next event in June.

There is still plenty more to do including twin oil coolers, custom rad, carbon air scoop/box (same as f2000 maxis), finish off all the plumbing, swirl pot etc. Then it is off back to Longmans for a full setup to iron out any niggles in the map.

If someone wants to start me a project page, I'll keep progress on this and many other bits over the next few months - including a full reshell.

My previous rebuilt Mi16 on 45DCOEs will be up for sale in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I've sorted all the bits to go with it. - let me know if anyone is particularly interested in it.

Cheers James

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3030.jpg

Edited by JamesLumley

Richie-Van-GTi

looks mint and should go like stink. what box are you using with it? diff etc?

also can you confirm if its 264 or 174 bhp, Im guessing the should see 170 should be 270 :D

Dj_mini

Im surprised the trumpets are so short?

Im just finishing my carbon air box at the mo i had major problems making room in the front but a few cardboard mock ups latter i got it to fit well.

new019.jpg

air002.jpg

205turbo

what events are you goin to be entered in, must be worth a trip out to watch :D

jonnie205

Looking good mate, i see you must have cut the pas pump supports off the engine mount? worth doing as those gti6 mounts are very heavy. Should go very very well

JamesLumley

@dj_mini - i don't pretend to know all the technicalities of building an engine at this level but Richard (longman) said that the shorter trumpets aid the low end torque which we need for rallying. They play around with the lengths during the dyno runs and these seemed to be the best compromise.

Your air box looks similar to the one I have started on. I've made up that ally back plate as a guide and just in the process of forming the carbon box around it. I'm doing it in 2 sections - one is a fixed open fronted box which will stay mounted to the boddies, the actual scoop will be removable so that we can get at things in a hurry and also replace it when (not if) it gets a shunt - inevitable in a rally car!

Dj_mini

Sounds very similar to mine i made it so the back plate is the bit that stays with the bodies just uploaded these pics this is where im at @ the mo all resin bonded up ready to bubbed down smooth for laquering.

Are you making it out of flat sheet or getting a mould done?

carbon002.jpg

carbon001.jpg

JamesLumley

Hi Jonnie - yea cut that top mount back with the good old disk cutter - must weigh 5x the one on the Mi!

Just got to machine up a thermostat housing cover to mount the top hose onto the distribution block as I can't find a suitable top hose anywhere!

Paul - we will be out at Abingdon on the 10th June, always seem to run around the top 20 (before something disasterous happens - usually from pushing too hard). Problem with not enough power when most of the top guys in our class have 250hp is that I drive on the limit all the time and it doesn't always go to plan! Hopefully with the new engine we can be more competitive - I would like a top 15 o/a there this year.

Next year will hopefully be a full program in the national tarmac championship - just deciding whether to keep it all in a 205 or reshell into a 306 hmmn...

JamesLumley

Nice pics of that airbox!

I am making up a model in modelling foam and then having it formed in carbon (vaccum bag).

Mine won't be as tall as yours as the rad is larger and I need room for 2 oil coolers.

Luckily my codriver works in the aerospace industry building fighter jet components and parts for the merc slr/konigsegggggg so getting a few scoops knocked up shouldn't be too hard!

Dj_mini

Nice i would have loved to have had it all as one mould but my mate works at a f1 team and he can only "acquire" pre formed sheet that i have to cut up apparently he cant get an air box mould in his lunch bag :blink:

Keep us posted on your progress looking great so far :D

paul_portsmouth

could anyone get cf rocker covers moulded up or would that not work always thought it would be a cool mod

Sam
Richard (longman) said that the shorter trumpets aid the low end torque which we need for rallying.

Odd as its usually the opposite. Even the old touring cars all ran decent induction length, different purpose I suppose but the XU seem to respond well to a good induction length,

Higgy
Paul - we will be out at Abingdon on the 10th June...

Thats only 10miles from me.

I might be able to hear the engine from my house when it hits 8500rpm :blush:

Higgy.

maxi
Odd as its usually the opposite. Even the old touring cars all ran decent induction length, different purpose I suppose but the XU seem to respond well to a good induction length,

Funny how my engine runs very short trumpets and makes large torque from so low down.......

Looks like a fantastic lump, I should be installing a similar spec within the next month.

Maxi

Alastairh

Awesome bit of kit!

As Paul siad, might be worth a trip :blush:

Sam

Maxi: What trumpet lengths did you try when mapping?

WildCards

Hey james, has anything been done to reduce/erradicate oil surge on your engine? I was reading through another lengthy tyhread on the subject earlier and most people were talking about extra oil drain pipes from the head to the sump, has Longman done anything to yours?

Baz

Hi James, looking good! I think we'll be at Abingdon, if so i'll pop over and say hi! :lol:

Are you doing Millbrook at all this year?

JamesLumley

Ref Oil problems - I run an accusump tank straight into the main gallery on the front of the engine. There is a lot of speculation as to whether these work or not (usually by people who have never used one) and since I fitted this 2 years ago, not once have I ever had any problems.

As a comparrision, I went through 4 engines in a season - all from spun big end bearings before the tank was fitted, all from the same builder and same spec.

It is an absolute godsend in my eyes and Richard can't speak highly enough of them, even more so than a dry sump system.

There is also one of his custom sump pan baffles/windage tray fitted to try and keep the surge down but the 6 engine insn't supposed to suffer in the same way as the oil Mi lump.

Maxi - always keep an eye on your projects, good to see someone who knows what they are talking about and speaks from experience rather than reading it all on the internet!

Baz - not doing Millbrook this year as the car won't be finished, shame as I think it's a fab venue. Will be on the calendar next year as it's part of the championship. Hopefully see you at Abingdon!

WildCards

Cheers James. Project looks great anyway way, very clean and sparkly.

Robsbc
Funny how my engine runs very short trumpets and makes large torque from so low down.......

Looks like a fantastic lump, I should be installing a similar spec within the next month.

Maxi

Would be even more with longer trumpets with a loss further up the rev range. This was proven on Revla's car @ Emerald when he played about with 40 & 75mm trumpets. The graphs on the trumpets lengths are posted on this forum.

Don't forget Maxi you car is more than 1.9Litres...So the extra 183cc cc is helping with low down torque.

Edited by Robsbc

rapidmi

looks sweet, it will go like hell

Sam

I tried Rob, sometimes its just not enough to try and help some people. Bollocks to it. :P:P

Should have fitted a turbo, plenty of torque then ;)

Shevy

Where abouts in Abingdon is that, I only live up the road in Wallingford :D

richsmells
Where abouts in Abingdon is that, I only live up the road in Wallingford :D

I think it's up near Dalton Barracks airfield somewhere. Never been quite sure. You can book trackdays at Abingdon so it's gotta be round there somewhere.