• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Couple Of Gti6 Questions

Dan Ingram

I've just dropped my GTi6 lump in to check clearances on everything. I've got plenty of clearance on the master cylinder

IMG00023-20081230-1926.jpg

I also seem to have enough clearance on the manifold. The problem is the downpipe, it clears everything ok but seems to stick out to far underneath. I'm guessing its because the GTi6 manifold is longer than the 8v GTi manifold. Also if I fit the rest of the exhaust the back box sticks out to far at the back.

Do I need to shorten the downpipe to make everything fit a bit better or am I doing something majorly wrong?

pip470

I had des developments make my exhaust down pipe, They did a good job. I tried making my own because like you say when offering up the original it sits far too low. I never knew you bought a gti-6 dan. I take it you never went any further with the backwards piston 8v? Phill

Dan Ingram

Yeah I sorted that. I spun the piston round in the cylinder and left the rings as they were. Rebuilt the whole thing with new everything and then did a swap for this engine.

Do Des adjust the downpipe to a standard length and angle or do you need to do some measuring to give them some idea of what to cut it to?

pip470

You have to take the car to them unfortunatly, thier birmingham way. I gave them my car and a system I bought of ebay brand new and they made it all fit with a lamba boss welded in. Think the price was around £100 . To be honest im not sure what other people do, there are a lot of these conversions now and I honestly can't remember what people have said they did. I'm sure they will be along soon to help. Sounds like a good swap by the way. Was that with gti si?

Dan Ingram

Yup thats the one, bit of good timing there really with my engine being out and ready.

I think I'm going to have a go at sorting the downpipe myself tomorrow, whats the worst that can happen :)

maxi

Dan, have you put the top engine mount of yet as it dosent appear to be in that picture above. The engine looks as if its sitting a mile too low in that pic?? Maybe its just the angle.

Downpipe wise, its just like an mi conversion, shorten and re-angle to suit.

Maxi

Dan Ingram

Yeah the top mount is on. Just missing the buffers. I've got all the mounts on and everything else lines up fine. Its sat in the correct position, no extended lower fork or anything like that.

Sign in to follow this