Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Twin Side Draft Webers On An Xs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

fourbanger

fourbanger
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts
  • Name:Oliver
Does anyone know if they fit without bulkhead mods or relocating anything?
If not, any other options? Throttle bodies? Downdraught something?
Cheers.

fourbanger

fourbanger
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts

​No one put any different carbs on their xs before?

Wallby

Wallby
  • Drivers+
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Rhys

I have twin webers on my rallye, which is the same layout as the xs. The only thing that needs looking at is the engine mount, the manifold will usually foul it where it bolts to the water pump housing.

fourbanger

fourbanger
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts

OK, that would explain the custom mounts I keep seeing. Assumed it was to move the engine slightly for clearance, not just clearance on the mount. Which carbs are you running? Any chance of a pic?

fourbanger

fourbanger
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts

Is there any room at all where the third bolt hole is? Would I get away with making up a mount where the third bolt was countersunk in a plate? I don't have access to the engine right now to check, most annoying!

Wallby

Wallby
  • Drivers+
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Rhys

There should be some photos in my thread below.

http://forum.205gtid...c=144795&page=1

Also, this thread has some good photos of the mount I bought off Trogboy.

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=131570

Type-R

Type-R
  • Drivers
  • 46 posts
  • Name:Kam

DCNFs are very close in terms of bolt spacing to TU5 (and 8v XU engines), but I think TU3 heads might have a different pattern

And

And
  • Drivers
  • 122 posts
  • Name:Andrew
Garage View Garage
I made I inlet and a mount that still used the 3 bolts on the water pump as normal but the main issue is you still end up with a shorter inlet tract length than you would really like with side drafts longest you can get is about 330mm I think it is, I have something going on at low rpm below 3k that I think is the inlet tract length I did change the cam to a wilder one and it made the matter worse as expected and I have a point at about 6k a small dip that is present on both cams. I am currently changing over to ITB now and a inlet tract length of 370mm but to get any real inlet length the only way is with ITB's and although twin 40s work well on TU engines and even with a modified dizzy you sill have a few comprises but it depends on its use. My mind was made up with looking for more power easier to drive and tarmac and even gravel map possibltly so I could tayler it to it and future development would be easier for me.

Edited by And, 27 April 2017 - 07:15 PM.

Type-R

Type-R
  • Drivers
  • 46 posts
  • Name:Kam

DCNFs are very close in terms of bolt spacing to TU5 (and 8v XU engines), but I think TU3 heads might have a different pattern

Port spacing not bolt spacing, sorry.

fourbanger

fourbanger
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts

And, thanks for your input. I'm going for a larger valve head off a 106, coupled with high lift cam and different pistons to raise the CR.

I'm pretty committed at this point and only plan to do this once so we're going with throttle bodies. It'll see a few hill climbs, sprints and reliability trials, but it's predominantly a road going weekend car.

Design brief was to keep up with my brothers Elise when we tour France. This was summed up by my engine builder in a broad Wiltshire accent as "so you want to be able to get to the same restaurant at the same time".

It's going to be a fun car when done!

Edited by fourbanger, 07 May 2017 - 08:32 PM.