• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

floodys

Few Jenvey To Mi16 Questions

floodys

I've done a quick search but can't find what im looking for! I'm slowly fitting jenvey 45's to the track car and i have a omex, i just want to check to see if I defiantly need a air temp sensor and a MAP sensor? If so where is the best place to fit them, buy them, any specific ones?

I've got to get the round male connector to go to the TPS which I'm sure is a jenvey one, can someone let me know "what" it's specifically called so I can search for one, plus where to get it etc.

I've also got to get a coil pack (I've a brand new ford one but someone had mentioned better to get a pug one?) are there any specific HT leads that "fit" or do people get a set made up?

And finally for now, I've pulled the main engine loom out which has the oil pressure switch/alternator wire/starter solenoid wire etc all bundled in, do people make a "loom" up for these and run it with the "jenvey" loom or run a separate one?

Hope that makes sense! Cheers

welshpug

you definitely need to get an air temp sensor but not a map sensor.

could you are correct that an oem Peugeot 8v unit is best, standard not plug and for most engines something like some Vauxhall xe 16v plug leads will do the trick.

for reliabilitys sake make up a new look for the day itself, if it's in good condition then pull out the ancillary wiring from the original look and use that.

I don't recall the name of the tps plug but found one on eBay easily enough.

floodys

Cheers, I'll get hunting for a coil then and sell on the ford one, re the temp sensor is it worth taping one into the inlet manifold like the vac hose is for the brake servo? The manifold has 2 flat bits for doing this I think. (One of which is that vac I mentioned) and do they make a air temp sensor like a CTS for instance as that would be ideal as it would screw in and has the same style plug as CTS and injectors.

welshpug

temp sensor can go in the filter backplate, yes there are a few threaded types.

floodys

Ah yes, is that better to put it there instead of putting another hole into the manifold? And do's it matter if it's in the airflow or just sitting in the air filter area once fixed to to back plate?

petert

you definitely need to get an air temp sensor but not a map sensor.

Depends if the Omex has an internal map sensor. Otherwise it won't do barometric correction. Fine if you only drive it at sea level I suppose. Some ECU's use the external MAP sensor to calculate changes in barometric pressure.

Edited by petert

welshpug

for the UK we don't have particularly big mountains at all, 700 metres at the very most for the highest peaks that a road vehicle can reach.

granted if you take the car on a few alpine passes it could be worthwhile, but a standard 205 doesnt have a MAP sensor, and they don't blow up.

yes just having the intake temp sender in the back of the filter will suffice.

Liam

personally we map a lot of omex systems and always use map sensor for load or a minimum requirement barometric correction only the 710 has it built in internally if you are using jenveys you can take out the air bypass screws and fit an idle bypass insert ( jenvey no IB01) then these can be joined together to give you something to connect the sensor too and this now can be used to calculate your load

petert

Isn't 700m approx. 7% change in air density? Not worth considering?

• Like 1

Simes

Miles made loom based around a Jenvey one.

406 turbo spark leads, I think.

Pug 106 coil pack.

I have no map sensor.

My air temp sensor is in the back plate for the air filter.

Check my build thread.

floodys

Cheers all, I've ordered a air temp sensor, some various plugs etc, still need to sort a coil pack, leads etc. One thing I'm missing is the spacer sleeve bits between the jenveys and the fuel rail, anyone know if I can get these or just make some up? If I did fit a MAP sensor, where will that go?

Miles

Get injector type sorted first, I use Renault ones as they are cheap and work well

floodys

Simes, just read through the build cheers, what air temp sensor did you use? The one I have gone for is just like a CTS style one, I guess I can just drill in the air filter plate in the middle of the bodies?

406 turbo leads same as a Citroen XM 2.0 turbo? (Just browsing ECP)

Miles. I was just going to use the yellow injectors as that's what came with the bodies etc?

Just a quick one re the coil pack, can I not use the BNIB ford one I have here and just get the right leads/plug for it? Cheers

Simes

Hi, I can't remember about air temp sensor.

Probably have it written down somewhere!

Drill away!

Miles

Injectors can make a world of difference, Modern injectors react quicker and have a much better spray pattern, Yellow sound like the age'd std ones which won;t help at all, the last set of Clio ones I got from CP4L was around £140.00 with there weekend discount code, cheaper than even a recon set

• Like 1

petert

... but a standard 205 doesnt have a MAP sensor, and they don't blow up.

An AFM measures the mass of air entering the engine and together with inlet air temp, the density of the air is accounted for and mixtures altered accordingly. Thus unsure why you'd do a bodge job when fitting aftermarket injection, given you have the choice.

petert

I'll also share with you a recent event. We had a race at Wakefield Park, approx. 700m above sea level. The temperature dropped to -8 overnight and we were racing at -5. The car developed a lean misfire. Checking the logs, AFR had risen from 12.7:1 to 14:1 down the main straight. We'd never considered running at sub zero air temps and had no correction below zero in the air temp map.

Edited by petert

floodys

Evening, quick couple of questions as I get on with the conversion, is there any preferred place that people mount the omex/ECU? I was thinking passenger side just under the fusebox as that's roughly where I plan on running the wiring out from?

When running the "gauge" loom would you tape it all in with the management loom or run them separate?

Lastly, now that I have got the pug coil pack, where do people mount these? On the engine itself or say on the battery tray? Cheers

Simes

Mines in the standard ECU position, under the dash.

My coil pack is mounted on a bit of Ali sheet against the engine in between the cams.

floodys

Cheers mate, I've got to get the HT leads next and when I decide where I can then work out the lengths i need.

welshpug

the standard z/XE16/18 lengths seem very good.

Andy

Evening,

If you look on my build thread ( yet another Mi16 rebuild) you can see where I have mounted the ecu in the engine bay. This location has the advantage of making the loom construction and routing quite easy, but the disadvantage of having the ecu in the bay.

floodys

Hi, getting round to finishing this now, just the HT leads to get, XE leads were mentioned but I've managed to get a stat housing that covers the end of the cam where the cap would have been, and this also alllws the coil pack to be bolted to it.

Can I just get a few other people's ideas on what leads to get that other people have used? i.e. Car make/model Some have mentioned 405 SRI, etc? So I can check lead lengths

Anthony

As Mei said, use the Vauxhall leads from a Corsa B/C 16v (C16XE/X16XE/Z18XE engine) - they're the right fitment both ends and the correct length for a 16v XU using a 106 coil.