Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polishing/waxing Guide

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts

On a slight different subject. What tyre dressing would suggest?

No worries matey.

For cheap quick & easy Autosmart Tyre Dandy (although I may have a cheaper alternative soon :) )

For bling at a price Pinnacle Black Onyx gel (15 off a bottle....)

Sean - if you need anything else from C&S let me know!

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
thanks to this guide and some replies my CTR now looks amazing. I simply cannot believe the difference, its really astonishing.

Here's the evidence, warning 200k

thanks guys
Sean

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Looks excellent mate - glad this guide was of use to you :D

BTW got your PM ref lebals - but the missus forgot the machine - will sort em next week.

pugboyracer

pugboyracer
  • Drivers
  • 2,537 posts
  • Name:Marc
Some fantastic advice in this guide, really helpful stuff. I'm utterly rubbish at washing cars, so this is great. Just need a good day now to get stuck into the Pug and Beemer! :D

Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke
  • Team Managers
  • 4,539 posts
  • Name:err.. Henry Yorke
Garage View Garage
This might interest some of those who have found this post useful :(

Clicky

benson

benson
  • Drivers
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the guide, can't wait to get another car so I can clean it every week, really miss it :/ and will definitely use this.

gerlewislewis

gerlewislewis
  • Veterans
  • 718 posts
whats the definitive stuff to be using on the black trim, as mine has faded slightly.

Great guide by the way. Ive been using paint renovator and Super Resin Polish today - good stuff.

Ger

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
I was impressed with Autoglym bumper snot. If you have Ph2 trim that is a little faded it really brings it back to black. If it's Ph 1.5 trim it just goes a darker shade of grey.

pete1986

pete1986
  • Drivers
  • 537 posts

Any of you that use it will know how it gets into any grained unpainted plastics & how hard it is to get off again . A good tip is to polish all the trim first using Autoglym Bumper Care & that stops the polish sticking to it . That tip came from the guy on the Autoglym trade stand at a car show

Aha!! I have always used them the other way around, I find that the AG bumper snot gets the super resin off but leaves marks on the paintwork. So it will wipe off the snotted trim with a cloth then? Also iv always thought that AG SuperResin was a polish, not a wax?? :)

So let me get this right, the ultimate process would be;

rinse
shampoo
rinse
dry
polish
glaze/cleaner
wax
sealant

Not that im gonna do the whole lot, the OCD car cleaning bug hasnt caught me plus im far too lazy, just so that i know for sure what to use after what. What about using detailing clay, where would that come in?

gerlewislewis

gerlewislewis
  • Veterans
  • 718 posts
"What about using detailing clay, where would that come in? "

after using shampoo, to remove any tar and other crap. Id shampoo again at this point.

After using clay the car should feel like glass when you run your hand down it, rather than rough.

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
I'm putting together a detailing day over the summer - day long event, nominal cost (to cover premises hire and a BBQ) covering the basics from washing through to machine polishing.

Watch this space.

KRISKARRERA

KRISKARRERA
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,870 posts
Garage View Garage
In Basingstoke? I'd like to see how it's done, I'm probably not using my mop properly.

jameshall88

jameshall88
  • Passengers
  • 5 posts
  • Name:James
Great post, really helped me in my early days of owning and looking after an old car!!

If i notice slight/small areas of flakings of paint, down to the metal underneath, when washing/polishing what is the best thing to cover these with to prevent rust build up?

James

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III

If i notice slight/small areas of flakings of paint, down to the metal underneath, when washing/polishing what is the best thing to cover these with to prevent rust build up?

Err, paint :D :rolleyes:

OK, so that was a flippant answer. But seriously, if you are concerned about a damaged area rusting when washing the car, what about the rest of the time? Are you planning to keep it in a dehumidified garage and only use it dry weather?

For reference, I've had a small patch on my drivers door that chipped away years ago and although it has got a dusting of surface rust it's never actually progressed in to anything more serious. And that was stood outside 365 days a year for a couple of years. So if you are just worried about the short term until you can repair the damaged area, I'm sure it will be fine. You'll just need to give it a light sanding and a bit ot treatment before painting the damage. If it's been exposed to the elements I'd be recomending that regardles of whether it had been washed or not.

Bananasplitz

Bananasplitz
  • Passengers
  • 12 posts
  • Name:David
Garage View Garage
Before starting the polishing waxing sealing process what should we use to wash the paint with - is the bottle of squeezy liquid ok or shampoo wax mix ok, the other thing is what's the easiest way of getting rid of sun dried flies.

DanteICE

DanteICE
  • Drivers
  • 416 posts

Car shampoo, because it would remove the lower layer of wax or sealant.

If you've got the cash, a de-greaser shampoo will work wonders to break down dead flies and grime so that it will just wash off with some water. A car foam lance is a great tool too if you've got the cash to spare.

Why isn't this thread in the guides section with videos and pictures?

Geoff