• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Davidsw

Reverse Light

Davidsw

Down to the last cold issues

Where is the reverse light connection on the gearbox .

thanks

Ryan

It's on the front of the gearbox, just behind the clutch arm. It will be either a 2-pin connector as shown, or two bare spade terminals depending on the age of the gearbox:

post-5273-0-75915400-1502744887_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

Note: the two switch styles as mentioned above are NOT interchangeable.

Davidsw

Thanks

pug_ham

What year is your car because reversing light issues on the later phase 2 cars with the reversing light in the rear valance is rarely down to the gearbox switch imo & much more likely to be corroded terminals on the light itself.

g

Tom Fenton

What year is your car because reversing light issues on the later phase 2 cars with the reversing light in the rear valance is rarely down to the gearbox switch imo & much more likely to be corroded terminals on the light itself.

g

This is easy to test, pull the plug off the switch, join the two terminals together with a jumper wire (ignition turned on). If the light/s come on at the rear of the car everything else is OK and the switch is faulty.

Bobbafett

I found out the hard way about fitting the wrong reverse switch.

I fitted the long one into my 1.6 BE3 I fitted into my 1.9, and couldn't engage second or reverse. I thought it was an issue with the gearbox I had bought so I tried ramming the gears in a few times. I worked out I had put the wrong rev switch in (after a good few days of annoyance), fitted the short one, but the light didn't work. Turned out I had bent the metal that engages the switch by whacking it into the long switch. Solution was to grind down the switch seating about 5mm so it sat further into the gearbox, allowing it to be engaged.

Moral; don't fit the wrong switch!! Right ballache that one.