• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest peanutsarehairy

Quarter 1.6 Badges

Guest peanutsarehairy

I was wanting to smooth over the quarter 1.6 badge at the back

And was wondering, would normal car filler, plastic primer and

Paint do the job? Or do you need to do something else?

Cheers Guys

Leet205

its highly likely that if you use just filler it will crack in time.

i sujest fiberglass with a skim coat of filler to smooth :rolleyes:

Guest peanutsarehairy

Ah ha, Good idea!

Never thought of that.

Thanks Leet205

daz205

didnt someone on here weld a bit of mesh in the recessed bit then fibreglass/filler it to ensure it didnt crack or fall out?

johnnyt

If not put a couple of screws in where the badges usually fit into, make sure they are flush + put a couple of jagged edge lock washers to give the fibreglass something to grip to

Guest james205gti

No, get it done properly unless your good wiv your hands. ive seen a few home made & it looks soooo obvious & bodged!!!! Like i said. Depends how much convedence you got in yourself to do it :rolleyes:

Guest peanutsarehairy

I might just end up having to as i have this image of them looking cracked and standing out!

Even though this has nothing to do with the badges, is there a paint you can buy thats like chrome? Or shiny?

Leet205

Yeah, afaik you can buy a chrome effect paint in a rattle can.....Duno how it turns out tho

Guest PacMan
didnt someone on here weld a bit of mesh in the recessed bit then fibreglass/filler it to ensure it didnt crack or fall out?

Yep, the Mad Proffesor done it. Theres a kinda "How To" guide on the forum somewhere if you do a search.

Simmy

PLASTIKOTE do quite a nice chrome spray... finish is very impressive but is 99.9% down to how smooth the surface is that you spray.

Guest peanutsarehairy

Simmy,

Cool, do u think the red trim would turn out ok if you sprayed this?

After sanding etc ofcourse :rolleyes:

Guest steveo

James205gti is correct, get a proper job dun by a pro. They will either lead fill it or weld it over. I have had mine done and everyone says that it looks like the badges were never fitted....ie.....smooooottthhhhhhhh.... :rolleyes:

If it is done with filler it WILL crack over time and it will be soooo obvious. Don't do it yourself unless you know ehat you are doing.

The trim should be ok for you to do but in my opinion it would look pants silver. Just get some chrome ones from some where like AutoFive.

Leet205
it will be soooo obvious.

Lies, it wont be obvious if its done properly. plenty people do it there self and it turns out fine

Guest peanutsarehairy

Steveo

I checked AutoFive's site, i couldnt see a price for the chrome trim.

Do you know how much it is?

Cheers

Leet205

yo peanut man, heres an idea ....go to the scrappy and get chrome inserts off alode of base modles and chop them to fit :rolleyes: the front and rear should be no bother and u can get the rest from another font/rear bumper and cut it to fit ur GTi side trim :blink: cheap and chearfull

johnnyt

The side trims in chrome are surprisingly cheap from peugeot themselves... Think the full set was about £45 for my gti..

Guest peanutsarehairy

The scrappy sounds like a good idea :)

I didnt know the base model had chrome trim!

I can't see myself paying £45 for them though, maybe £40, but no £45!

Cheers for the help guys.

With the amount of info on here am surprised you don't have weight

The sun visors! :D

Sign in to follow this