• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richt

Removing 205 Gti Seat Cover/ Bolster.

richt

I have just got a new interior for my Gti, (front and back seats out of Butlers car- cheers mate) as his front seats wher alot better than mine.

The drivers seat however has the usual flat bolster problems, but the leather is mint. I plan to use the bottem bolster and possibly cover of my spare passenger seat to repair one of the drivers seats. I have had a good look how the cover is held on, lots of metal clips, how do these need opening up just with some pliers?

Is the cover stuck to the foam at all?

When this is removed how is the foam held onto the seat frame? Are the passenger and driver foam bolsters the same?

Any advice on refitting the cover, should I source some new metal clips etc, How tight do Pull the cover etc?

Anyone down this any advice gratefully recieved

Cheers

Rich

j_turnell

Alright mate ive done this a few times basically you need to remove all those clips with pliers. Also the seat needs to be off the subframe to make it easier. The foam isnt stuck to the bosler atall, its a case of ripping the old one out.

Youll find that the original one is connected to the centre of the seat, just cut it wiht a stanley knife and pull it out. If youve got a another seat with a good bolser its a case of cutting down the bolser to centre of the seat. With the material removed its a case of cutting that out.

Replacing the bolser can prove a bit difficult, it sits on a metal frame it is important that when putting it back it is pushed properly on this otherwise it wont look rite, you might need to undo some stitching because its a tight fit. Once your happy with where the bolser is then its a case of pulling the material back over and using the original clips or strong wire retain it like was originally done, thats it tbh.

509P1180003-med.JPG

richt

Cheers for the advice, will take some piccys as i do it.

ALEX

I'm looking to refurb mine, but I dont think I can be Arsed to do it myself.

But if you do a good job with it Richt, I might just follow suit.

richt

Im a bit nervous about carrying it out, but why pay some one to do it?

j_turnell

Yeah its pretty easy to do tbh i did on my Rallye seats and those half leathers and it makes big improvements! no point in paying some1 to do it. The more you do it the better you get.

gareth

i'm looking to do this soon as well. i have a MINT set of half leather from a crashed gti which i'm planning to use to re-cover my old ones.

the problem with the new seat is the crashed gti had spun into a large tree and the seta aren't very seat shaped any more! the drivers seat had rpiied half out of the floor and snapped the subframe, the passenger one is about 12" wide as this was where the tree hit!!! nasty. (the nobody hurt in the crash aparrently...!)

i'm basicly planning to use the new covers and the best foam bolsters to make a very nice pair of seats. if anyone does this, it would be very useful to a lot of us on here if some photos could be taken and a little article written!!! :D

Robsbc

My Webpage

I posted a few instructions last year on changing the seat bolster...

Prising the clips are a bit of a bitch and requires 2 pliers getting the back to close again is a pain! My local Peugeot bodshop has got a nice tool for fitting the clips...

Edited by Robsbc

richt

I plan to use one the good new pasenger seat i have to mend my drivers seat.

Rob what is the mentioned tool?

richt

Rob

Just read your post

"Once that is done, you will be able to pull the bolster off with the seat material still intact as it's still held in palce with links connected to the foam"

If i plan to use the the boslter foam and cover from the same seat can these be transfered over as one piece?

Robsbc
I plan to use one the good new pasenger seat i have to mend my drivers seat.

Rob what is the mentioned tool?

It's a tool I magine upholsterer's would have. Aparrently makes the job really easy, gives you a nice circle shape clip when they are closed.

Robsbc
Rob

Just read your post

"Once that is done, you will be able to pull the bolster off with the seat material still intact as it's still held in palce with links connected to the foam"

If i plan to use the the boslter foam and cover from the same seat can these be transfered over as one piece?

Can be transfered buy not in one piece....

The leather material is held in place with small clips which are fasten to the seat frame, these have to be undone...

Once off you will see the foam seat bolster exposed, this is held in place with links with clips on the end which are wrapped around the bottom of the seat frame.

I have a seat at home dismantled, if you can wait I can take pics for u at the weekend?

If you wanna come to Sussex, I can show you how it's done but I think you up the other end of the country though.

Rob

richt

I am, but pics would be good. Cheers

Is the cloth cover glued to the foam?

James H

Are the bolsters on fabric GTi seats the same as those used in the half leather versions, I assume they are?

j_turnell
Are the bolsters on fabric GTi seats the same as those used in the half leather versions, I assume they are?

Yup :D

Robsbc
I am, but pics would be good. Cheers

Is the cloth cover glued to the foam?

No it's not glued, the cloth material is held in place at the front with velcro and at the back on the bit you sit on with clips.

Had to reglue my velcro strip to the foam as it pulled away....

Edited by Robsbc

richt

Cheers again. Going to speak to my mate that does trimming about mending some stitching and see what that tool is called

cybernck

richt> yeah please do take some useful pics and write a guide afterwards :).

richt

Will do.

Robsbc
Will do.

Rich,

As promised I have taken the pics do you have an enail I can send these pics to?

Thanks Rob

tagy

the bolster side supports are fairly flat on mine from getting in and out. Like most i suspect.

Is it possible to just get some foam, from a foam shop and cut that to the correct size? Would like to have my seats looking like new.

thanks Tom.

Robsbc
the bolster side supports are fairly flat on mine from getting in and out. Like most i suspect.

Is it possible to just get some foam, from a foam shop and cut that to the correct size? Would like to have my seats looking like new.

thanks Tom.

Not sure as the foam base is profiled...From Peugeot it costs £100...Just look in the scrappy for a passenger one and swap

richt
Rich,

As promised I have taken the pics do you have an enail I can send these pics to?

Thanks Rob

Yes please Rob, forum@psooc.com

richt

recieved!

Sign in to follow this