• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ozymandis

Power Steering Rack L/h Track Rod

Ozymandis

Does any one know why the L/H track rod is a different length to the R/H?

The R/H, is the same as both are on a manual rack.

This assumes RHD PAS.

Edited by Ozymandis

jackherer

They should both be the same PAS or non PAS. If one of yours is different maybe it is off a 309 or something?

The gaiters are different side to side though.

Miles

As above length is the same on both sides.

Ozymandis

OK, heres why I ask.

In the past 15 yrs or so I have dismantled PAS racks from 3 different 5 door diesel mardi gras, all made in 93.

Every single one has the different length rod on the L/H.

My service box type CD`s from back then all list a unique to PAS L/H track rod.

Online service box doesn`t any more, but that changes through time with supersessions and substitutions.

I remember back then that you could definetley get a unique track rod from more than one brand as well as peugeot.

I took a rack off a 93 5 door diesel on the bank holiday and sure enough it has the odd track rod.

I will find the cd`s tomorrow and get the part numbers, also i will put up a measurement when get a chance.

Still,presuming you accept I`m correct then WTF could it be for?

welshpug

i do recall a difference in the part numbers but never seen what the physical difference was.

wicked

Last year I ordered a set for my GTI and both sides should be equal.

However, when you order aftermarket stuff, they can vary in length.

I ordered in the end 5 (yes 5!) rods of Moog in the same shop, to get 1 set of equal length and material. The other 3 were returned to Moog.

The difference between shortest and longest was about 3 cm.

jackherer

I just looked it up on Miami Stu's site as that based on the old parts CDs and it does indeed show a different part number:

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/3/38A01A.HTM

However that seems to include the gaiter so I imagine that is the difference.

If the track rod lengths varied you'd just end up compensating for it by winding the track rod end in or out to correct the toe.

The difference between shortest and longest was about 3 cm.

That's close to the difference between a 205 and a 309 rod funnily enough.

Ozymandis

If the track rod lengths varied you'd just end up compensating for it by winding the track rod end in or out to correct the toe.

Thats exactly what I always did, they are different lengths I promise you, it`s not the gaiter being included or anything.

Im rooting through my rack and front suspension crap to find one, the bank holiday one went with the scrap geezer who takes my s*ite.

I did a rack about six months ago for a diesel converting to power steering and used my last new one so i cant find the packet for the number.

If I cant find one i will have the wheel off the converted car and measure the thing. i think it was 20 or 25mm different.

wicked

I just looked it up on Miami Stu's site as that based on the old parts CDs and it does indeed show a different part number:

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/3/38A01A.HTM

That's close to the difference between a 205 and a 309 rod funnily enough.

Note that number 3: 3812 95

is the number for the rod without gaiter. Same for both sides. In aftermarket catalog you won't find any diff for left and right (for rods without gaiter)

The 3cm diff was not caused by a 309 rod; 1 was 3cm shorter.
I wanted to have equal length for both rods to make sure I could center it properly (converting to PAS)
The other racks in (ph1 PAS, Ph1 non-PAS and Ph2 PAS) had all equal lengths irc.

welshpug

ahh, I think you have nailed it, the rod itself is identical, but the boot that comes with it is different.

jackherer

So the difference between the part numbers is just due to the different gaiter as I said earlier.

The 3cm diff was not caused by a 309 rod; 1 was 3cm shorter.

Haha OK that's pretty bad then, definitely a manufacturing defect I suppose, there is no vehicle that would fit.