• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

[rally_prep] Road Rally 205 Gti

arwel
Looking good,are they GP-N billies?

They are the B6's, so I think they are the grp n ones. Those are the ones everyone recommended to go for. Should be good once their on the car. :)

matt.f

Yeah not too sure about bilstein codes,I've got new gp n ones to fit,supposed to be awesome mate good choice

arwel

Time for another update and its a good one.

Car has spent most of last week over at CAM Sport. Their a local company who mainly deal with rally prep but can do pretty much anything. So it now has the Billies fitted all around as well as the gravel springs and of course the cage is in. So here are a couple of pics.

Photo0072.jpg

Photo0073.jpg

It feels 100% better. The shocks that came off the rear were completely dead. I can compress them by hand and then they have to be pulled back out so that seems to explain the noise i used to get on the rear when going over bumps, touch wood, but it seems to have sorted it.

So had a little shakedown yesterday on the Black Mountain and it went well.....apart from snapping one of the handbrake cables whilst attmepting a bit of a slide. :)

Get that sorted this week then there's not a lot left before its ready for the lanes.

Spots, sump guard, nav lights, and a few other bits and bobs and were done. :P

matt.f

Looking good mate

Batfink

off the top of my head rear bilstein group n's are B46-1038, and V36-0548/ v36-0547 fronts

different part numbers for the b6's which are full length but 30% uprated over standard.

arwel

Not had an update for a while as not a lot has been happening, just bits and bobs here and there. It had a new rear box fitted on Monday as it was too loud for noise regulations, no pics as it looks the same really. It should be going in to CAM Sport again next week for wiring to be done for the spots and a couple of other things and we have put in an entry for the Kidwelly Novice road rally on 21st of August which will be our first event if we get in.

arwel

So for the last 5 days the car has been in having some wiring done. So we had it back Friday but havent had a chance untill today to do some work on it.

We have an entry for our fierst event on 21st of August so we have been busy. We fitted new tyres, padded up the roll cage and fitted the spots and a few other things around the car. Few jobs left now before the 21st like fit the sump and fuel tank guards and sort out a spare wheel holder.

So here are some pics of how it stands now.. ignore the lack of number plate.. it sort of broke as it was a bit old.. so new plates needed too.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

matt.f

Nice mate,good luck for the 21st.

arwel

Well we made our Rallying debut on Saturday night. It was a good event overall, well organised and a very good route. We had a slight hickup with the plotting.. by this i mean we didnt finish it all and had to finish it at the half way point which meant we couldnt make up any lost time.

Anyway, we did really well for our first event. We finished a credable 35th Overall out of 60 starters and 6th in our class. We can take a load of positives from the event and we know where we can improve for the next one. The main aim was to get around the route and get a result and keep the car in one piece. We did both so it was a succesfull event. The only slightly dissapointing thing was that at the half way halt we were 3rd in class but due to not being able to make up time as we had to finish plotting, we had to cut some route in order to stay within our maximum lateness. This cost us as we picked up 17 fails in the second half compared to just the 1 in the first half.

Next up for the car is a change of gearbox with new clutch and a few small changes in time for the next event. :lol:

qwerty

Well done mate! I,d be happy with that results for my first rally, sounds like you had fun and thats what counts :lol:

car looks great by the way

arwel
Well done mate! I,d be happy with that results for my first rally, sounds like you had fun and thats what counts :lol:

car looks great by the way

Cheers. We're both really happy overall. Our aim wa just to get around and finish without any issues and we did better than that so look out on the next one when we iron out our little miss haps. :o

matt.f

Nice one mate well done.What are you doing changing to an MI 16 4.4cwp?

arwel
Nice one mate well done.What are you doing changing to an MI 16 4.4cwp?

Nah.. nothing that drastic yet. We have another standard 1.9 gearbox to go in as the one in it has knackered synchro's in 3rd and 4th. We may put a slip into it at some point. Going to get a set of 14 rims to fit some forestry tyres onto as the 15's we have wont go under the arches. :)

matt.f

Yeah you can always add a 4.4 later,my Tran x diff is awesome and well worth the money.They look nice on challenge wheels(405gtx/205stdt).

bensonmi

cool project im doing something similar at the moment, hoping to get out in some night events soon, quite likely see you around!

arwel

Nothing has really been happening since the last rally untill a few weeks ago. We've put an entry in for our next road rally which is the Mel Harries Memorial that is run by Ammanford Motor club so is very local to us. We've got 8 1.6 gti wheels now so need to source some gravel tyres now to fit on them. Before the event I plan on changing the rear discs and pads and some better brake fluid and some braided hoses. So more updates in the coming weeks. :)

arwel

Another update time. We've got an entry into our next road rally which is the Mel Harries Memorial run by Ammanford motor club so its as bout as local as it gets for us. Few minor changes to the car before the event next saturday..if it runs as there's a fair dusting of snow and compacted ice around the area. We fitted some 14" `1.6 gti wheels with chunky forestry tyres. 2 are new Yokohama AO35's and 2 are Dunlop sp85's. Now I say we, I mean the mrs as I put my back out after taking the 1st road wheel off :lol: .Its going in to CAM Sport again tomorow for some new rear discs and pads to be fitted, new brake fluid which is being changed to motul rbf 600 and some Goodridge braided brake lines. So after Monday it should be ready for next weekend. 2 quick pickes below.

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

harryskid

Take it steady on that ice and snow, you don't want to do what i'am named for! :)

arwel
Take it steady on that ice and snow, you don't want to do what i'am named for! :(

:(

Took it out for a quick test last night. On the ice it was just like a normal car.. unless you have studded tyres your done for. On the snow though, the chunkies were brilliant. We'll see as the week goes on now what happens. More snow forecasted this week so the event could be in doubt. :(

harryskid

I did a tarmac stage rally last Feb and tried Kumho gravels and we had some snow and ice. The grip levels were not very good but better than the guys on slicks though. :D

arwel

Pugsley has now been finished by the boys in CAM Sport. New rear discs and pads, braided hoses and some new motul rbf 600 fluid. Also needed a new caliper as the bleed nipple broke off and there was no chance of getting it out. So all ready for the event on Saturday and it was postponed yesterday afternoon due to the weather conditions. It'll run now on January 8th so no further events untill then apart from a little scatter rally that our motor club will put on later this month. So not sure of any changes to the car yet apart from a service so we'll wait and see.

arwel

Another rally done Saturday night. We did the Mel Harries Memorial run by Ammanford Motor Club. A really good event with challenging roads all night. We finished 8th in class but as we were in class 3 and did less milage than class 1 then we didnt count in overall results. But based on time dropped and fails picked up then we would have finished 31st overall from 70 starters, so a very good result for our second rally.

The car was almost faultless, it picked up a missfire twice which brought us to a halt. Both times after a sharp right turn and up a hill so Im wondering if it was some kind of problem with the pump not pumping fuel through due to the fuel swishing around the tank... will have to investigate. We did lose our rear numberplate and picked up some damage to the rear valance and squashed the tow eye, not sure what we hit though :)

Next event next month so we got some work to do before then.

ebay2011.jpg

tdr_1976

Just had a read of your project.

It's great to see another novice road rally crew on here!

Keep up the good work!

arwel
Just had a read of your project.

It's great to see another novice road rally crew on here!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, I have had a read through yours as well, fair play the little xs has come a fair way since you had it. :ph34r:

Nice action pics too.. will try and find some of us in action.

Quick pic from the Mel Harries Memorial rally 2010/2011 on Abernant hairpin. Thanks to Garry Jones and his team for the photo's :D

http://garyphotos.zenfolio.com/p108522264/e1c51488b

Edited by arwel

tdr_1976

Nice pic!

You can't beat driving on the lanes in the darkness!