• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Xu10 8V Loosing Water!

pugpete1108

Had a problem s couple of days ago where the heating went cold and the temp went up ( not overheating but about 110 on gauge)

Topped it off with some water and bled it thought nothing of it other than I'd neglected it a little.

Yesterday had to put another litre in so started to worry, today heating has gone cold and temp rising again so I'm deffo loosing a lot of water internally as I've no leaks of puddles under the car.

Most likely hg failure? Haven't noticed too much white smoke but its been real cold so it could have been burning it off ?

Last thing I wanted to be doing this weekend but hey ho.

It's in my 306 cab btw 2.0 8v

rikky

any water in footwells? (matrix)

any smell or noticable mist on windscreen when heaters are on?

does it misfire when first ran from cold and clear a few seconds / a minute after?

Tom Fenton

I would have a bloody good check round all the hoses/pipes/radiator/heater matrix before ripping the head off. Doesn't take a big leak to lose a litre over a couple of days, and if its hot it can evaporate and leave not much trace.

dcc

could be the expansion tank cap failing, could be a split pipe which is exaggerated under pressure/temperature. could be hg. could be water pump. Could be many things.

pugpete1108

No water in footwells I'll go over the hoses later but it's just swallowed 3 ltrs with room to spare so if its external I'm sure it would be obvious .

Engine doesn't miss at all and starts fine from cold, and no water out of the expansion cap under pressure

pugpete1108

Got it up on the ramps and its the bloody water pump as its leaking on that end from behind the cover.

I got a new one in the loft for an xu5 is that the same part?

Anthony

No - XU10 uses a larger impeller than the XU5/9 as far as I remember.

pugpete1108

Odd as I've just taken off the xu10j4rs one from the garage and compared it to the (what I thought was) the xu5 one and it the opposite to what you have said.

The xu5 impeller is wider and has 8 fins as opposed to the gti6 one which is much smaller and only has 6 fins.

The xu5 one also has the alloy belt cover round the back whereas the xu10 doesn't

As point in using a second hand one?

Edited by pugpete1108

Anthony

For the price of a new one and the amount of work to change it, it's a false economy to even consider fitting a used pump IMO.

pugpete1108

I was in two minds but completely agree.

I'll pick one up in the morning then.

welshpug

dont forget the belt kit too, theyre cheap for these :)

pugpete1108

Job done today in -2 degs I might add.

Only took 3 hrs. Which seemed pretty good to me.?

Didn't use sealant on the pump (just new gasket) as I couldn't find my wellseal at the time.