• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blindreaper242

No Start- Please Help!

blindreaper242

Hi I've got a curious starting problem with my 205. I am very much an amateur so please help! I have tried searching the forum but nothing I have found has yet worked.

I drove my 205 into the garage in Jan this year, it worked perfectly then. Now 2 months has gone by and it won't start. It turns over fine, and the battery is fully charged. I replaced the spark plugs with brand new ones and checked and there is definitely a spark. However the spark plugs are dry so there is some fuel problem. I took the input fuel line off the fuel rail and the petrol pump is definitely pumping petrol through. I put a voltmeter to the injectors and they appear to have something flow through on starting. Curiously my petrol gauge doesn't come on like it normally does on the second click...

My car is a 1991 205 Gti 1.9. It has the multi-point injection system without the lambda sensor, before cats.

Any ideas/links I've missed?

Cheers, Rich.

205kenny

Does it sound like its trying to start/fire? and have you done any work to it while its been stood?

blindreaper242

Hi- It doesn't sound like its trying to start at all, the starter motor just turns the engine round, that's all. And no, I haven't touched it since January.

DamirGTI

Unbolt and pull the complete fuel rail with injectors off of the inlet manifold (but do not disconnect the wiring nor the hoses - leave everything on just pull the whole assembly out of the inlet manifold ..) and rest it on the inlet manifold so that you can see the tips of injectors from the car inside , then crank the engine and look at the injectors (if they're clear an if they receive opening pulse signal you'll see a uniform conical fuel spay pattern)

Also , buy an can of connector cleaner and spray clean up the lot of connectors on and around the engine (might be just a wiring/connector oxidation/moisture issue ..) check the fuel pump relay (should be under the dash near the steering column or the ECU) , check the fuel pump earth (it's inside the boot bolted on the body near the rear LH tail light ..) ... and check if you might have unplugged or loosen connector on the AFM (air flow sensor) and the ECU temp. sensor (it's down the dizzy on the thermostat housing , it has a 2pin blue connector on)

Damir B)

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/info/enginelayout.html

Edited by DamirGTI

blindreaper242

Cheers Damir- I'll try all that tomorrow.

Paul_13

Unbolt and pull the complete fuel rail with injectors off of the inlet manifold

Be very careful when doing this as you might cause the tips of the injectors to fall into the engine. If the valve is open and it drops in, it's head off time.

blindreaper242

Yay- fixed! Just cleaned all the ECU senors and got rid of any moisture. Cheers guys!

steve@cornwall

Be very careful when doing this as you might cause the tips of the injectors to fall into the engine. If the valve is open and it drops in, it's head off time.

Pintle caps are only plastic....pistons chew 'em up and spit 'em out quite effectively..... :unsure:

Sign in to follow this