• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Lambda (Non 205)

dobboy

I seem to have developed an intermittent Emission warning lamp on my R53 Mini, no limp mode though.

I put the code reader on and it say's a problem with the Pre-Cat Lambda.

I can clear the error and it clears for a few days/miles, including a Trackday.

Would this error normally point the Lambda being on it's way out? or something else?

TIA

Anthony

I don't know any Bini specifics, but usually there's three possibilities for lambda related fault codes.

• Either could be that the lambda itself is faulty (or there's a bad connection to the lambda)
  • Something else is amiss that's causing the fuelling to be wonky to the point where it's outside the ECU's margin to compensate, so the lambda is correctly reading rich/lean but the ECU flags the reading as implausible.
  • There's a pre-lambda exhaust leak that's messing with the sensor reading
The exact error code / description might help narrow it down.

PS. Whilst it might not be in limp mode (most older cars won't do that for a lambda issue, but again no idea on Bini's) you should be careful as if it's overfuelling enough you'll eventually kill the catalytic converter.

• Like 1

dobboy

I don't know any Bini specifics, but usually there's three possibilities for lambda related fault codes.

• Either could be that the lambda itself is faulty (or there's a bad connection to the lambda)
  • Something else is amiss that's causing the fuelling to be wonky to the point where it's outside the ECU's margin to compensate, so the lambda is correctly reading rich/lean but the ECU flags the reading as implausible.
  • There's a pre-lambda exhaust leak that's messing with the sensor reading
The exact error code / description might help narrow it down.

PS. Whilst it might not be in limp mode (most older cars won't do that for a lambda issue, but again no idea on Bini's) you should be careful as if it's overfuelling enough you'll eventually kill the catalytic converter.

Ah thanks Anthony. I'll get the exact description from the reader.

I didn't know the CC could get knacked, I better have a closer look at it.

dobboy

Anthony, code reader says, "oxygen sensor bank 1 pre cat malfunction."

I put multimeter on it and have open circuit on pins 1&2 (pins 3 to 4 closed)

I take it sensor is will need replacing ????