• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Worn Rubber Mounts

M@tt

right i put the shocks for my CTI back together but i found that there was loads of play between the top mounting plate and the cup that sits in it.

The play seems to be caused by the fact that the rubber donut is not pushing the top mounting plate sufficiently high enough so that it comes into contact with the cup and as a result the shock is able to move up and down a good 5mm which i think will proabbaly cause some clunking as load comes off the shock

anyone else had this??

Baz

Pretty sure my 1600 is doing this atm, have some BBM rubbers and new bearings to try and sort it.

M@tt

here'sa little vid of whats happening at the mo

the nuts are tightened down as far as they will go, and the spring is tight between the 2 pans so as far as i can tell its only the rubber donuts that are allowing such play

th_SNC00215.jpg

Tom Fenton

Doesn't look right, have you got all the parts in there assembled?

I've got some OK second hand rubbers you can try if you want, but my money is on something left out of the equation!

M@tt

between the cup that the nut sits in and the domed bit that sits on top of the bearing is there usually a washer? or are the 2 things just tightened face to face by the nut?

is there an exploded diagram anywhere of exactly what bits should go where

i've pulled apart and rebuilt shocks numerous times but this ones got me a bit stumped, the rubbers didn't look that worn tbh but i guess you can't tell unless you have some originals to compare them against

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

This do the trick? :)

309frontspringarrangement-1.jpg

There's always been a gap above my top mounts to the cup under the nut, even with new rubbers.

Masekwm

Wow, mine was moving a little so I replaced the bearings and top mount and that cured it.

From my untrained eye, it looks to me as if you have the rubber top mount under the metal piece which it sits on?

M@tt

i think what it is is that there is an extra washer in between the 2 cups that sandwich the rubber donut effectively creating a bigger gap for the rubber donut to fill and obvioulsy its not hence the large amount of movement.

The washer was there when i disassembled the shocks hence why i put it back but obviously in hindsight it isn't right so i'll remove it and hopefully find it makes things better.

However the washer will only be 3mm thick or so and theres a good 5mm play so i don't think it will cure all of the movement, so i think some of it must be due inpart to worn rubbers.

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this