Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[project] 205 Mi32 Project - The Twin Mi16 Engined 205

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
DrSarty> we're building the car for acceleration, not top speed. we're going to use standard 1.9 gearboxes
for now, so top speed will pretty much be the same as 205 Mi16's with the same gearbox :D. it's just getting
there that will be a lot faster :D. also, the drag coefficient will stay the same, so no changes there.

as you said, it all comes down to power-to-weight ratio (well, until we start talking very high speeds) but this
car will also pull quicker 0-60mph, 0-100mph and 1/4mile runs than a FWD 205 of the same power-to-weight
ratio, due to having 4 wheel drive.

i think you're overestimating the abilities though, as the weight will not be 1000 kg's like you probably think
it will. since it weighed 930 kg with Mi16 engine, full roll cage and half-stripped interior, after adding up
weights of things we're adding in/on the car, i estimate it to weigh 1150-1200 kg in ready-to-drive trim.
we'll be happy with low 13's 1/4mile (including reaction time) and low 5's 0-60 mph. everything under
those values is a bonus B).

tom_m> don't forget the story's running late behind the actual work done and i'm showing progress of
several days worth in each update. so far, what you can see took 10 days (from transporting the front
engine bay to taking those pics) of internsive, (nearly) every day work.

Clarre> as i said to teknopug, that will be the most interesting (and brain-challenging) part of the job :lol:

thanks for the comments, keep them coming! :(

chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey
  • Drivers
  • 186 posts
fantastic work nic im just trying to see where your fitting the parachutes to stop the beast!! on a more serious note i hope the build goes well for you
cheers gaz

de Noir

de Noir
  • Drivers
  • 501 posts
Oh NO! :(

This is ultimate hardcore. Who is going to read my project progress any more, after this?? :D :D

tom_m

tom_m
  • Drivers
  • 3,428 posts
  • Name:.

Kev-G> errm... didn't think about camber at all really.
will it be a big issue with the wheels not rotating though?

I don't know the issues, but i'm guessing its something like the front setup having too much caster for being at the rear [bump steer?]), but a set of coilovers with eccentric topmounts might to be able to correct it or at least lessen it

the answer might be somewhere in here: Honda Tech Mid Rear conversion thread, only thing is its at 120 pages and counting :P

tom_m> don't forget the story's running late behind the actual work done and i'm showing progress of
several days worth in each update. so far, what you can see took 10 days (from transporting the front
engine bay to taking those pics) of internsive, (nearly) every day work.

ahh ok, even so mate, its still phenominal progress, next you'll be telling us its built and you've been driving it for a month :) keep up the good work :D

veloce200

veloce200
  • Drivers
  • 929 posts
ok I'll break with the mould. twin engine is dangerous and a whole heap of work for not much gain :)
i'd have gone for a space framed, fibreglass paneled Hayabusa turbo mid engine ...

Martin@PRD

Martin@PRD
  • Banned
  • 757 posts
cybernck: Isnt it great what people think rather than what they really know.........

http://www.durocco.com/main.html

http://www.durocco.c...s. 9112mbps.wmv

Edited by Martin@PRD, 10 November 2006 - 01:10 PM.

veloce200

veloce200
  • Drivers
  • 929 posts

cybernck: Isnt it great what people think rather than what they really know.........

http://www.durocco.com/main.html

http://www.durocco.c...s. 9112mbps.wmv

not sure whether that is a reply to my post? If so please elaborate!

Martin@PRD

Martin@PRD
  • Banned
  • 757 posts

not sure whether that is a reply to my post? If so please elaborate!

Not at all fella, cybernck will understand where im coming from......

.........15 years ago the MI16 conversion was a only a dream......

Martin@PRD

Martin@PRD
  • Banned
  • 757 posts
I have just spent 5 hours on my project, as I'm becoming jelous that this will be the first twin engine 205 to hit the road......

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
haha well don't be jealous... afterall, your's is a hell-of-a-lot bigger project!

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
time for another update folks :(.

in the third and final episode of Phase 1 series, named "Hit the road, Pug!", our main character gets
a lick of paint, some nice bits installed on it, gets back on the ground and leaves the spot cruising
on the back of a flat-bed lorry :).

Posted Image

this update (52 pics) starts with the last pic on THIS PAGE and covers about 8 days of work.

so... after nearly 3 weeks of hard work... Phase 1 - Rear End Reconstruction is complete! :D

stay tuned for the forthcoming Phase 2 - Rear Engine Installation story B).

thanks.

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage
Good stuff CN (some of that local scenary looks familiar!). You know my feelings, a truly awesome endevour and smiles of new proportions and intensity will soon be born when you press the VERY loud pedal. :D

Reference the intentional holes on the body work, filler and odd paint schemes at present, and paraphrasing Star Wars here, Episode IV (aka the 1st one of 1978): 'she may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts'. Maybe the Mi32 will indeed be very much like the Millenium Falcon, making 'point 5 past light speed' :)

Dr 'Twin Scooby Engined Noble Pipe Dream' S :(

Daz_C

Daz_C
  • Drivers
  • 454 posts
  • Name:Daz
Garage View Garage

.........15 years ago the MI16 conversion was a only a dream......

And 13 years ago I forefilled that dream myself ;) But my god these projects would seem to be a nightmare to me.
Fair play to anyone who gives this kind of thing ago :D

Looking Good at present !
Are you thinking of changing from Mi32 too T32 when you have got it all sorted and any probs ironed out ?? :D :D :D

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
LOL... they've asked me that on EVERY forum i posted about it :D ;).

well... we'll see... :D.

sammyh

sammyh
  • Drivers
  • 17 posts
Looking good! I might just change my mind about selling my spare Mi engine now :lol:

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
Phase 2: Rear Engine Installation

after transporting the car to another workshop, it was time to get our Mi16 engine out of
the garage to put it where it belongs and matters the most - in the back of the 205 Mi32 :).

Posted Image

you can find the complete story (with 46 pics) on THIS PAGE.

it covers another 3 weeks of work - much longer than we had planned, but it wasn't our fault...

thanks.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,141 posts

Oh my... that is SOOO unusual to see, isn't it?! :-O

it is indeed very strange to look at something we've all pictured in our minds so much :)

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
ah bugger, just figured out i'd forgotten to upload an important pic:

Posted Image

the clutch plate :huh:.

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage

ah bugger, just figured out i'd forgotten to upload an important pic:

Forgiven! Due to contributions to 205 (often insane) religion.

DrS :huh:

Amen

P.S. Don't you need 2, or am I being dumb here?

Edited by DrSarty, 15 November 2006 - 07:52 AM.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,141 posts

P.S. Don't you need 2, or am I being dumb here?

not dumb, merely unobservant :huh: :o

And here's our custom 215mm 4-paddle sintermetal clutch plate with solid center. The front engine already has one, which we now got serviced with new paddles too.