• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiCRO

Oil Consumption

MiCRO

How much oil does your Mi16's consume?

Is it possible to reduce consumption a bit by switching from total quartz 7000 10w40 oil to total quartz 9000 5w40?

welshpug

not a lot at all.

MiCRO
not a lot at all.

What oil do you use? Do you think I could achieve lower oil consumption by changing the type of oil?

welshpug

standard spec total quartz 7000 iirc.

I doubt it, more likely to be due to wear in the engine, how much are you using?

MiCRO

I doubt it, more likely to be due to wear in the engine, how much are you using?

1liter per 1000km, but the car's performance are very good, and it doesn't smoke when I pull the dipstick out. :huh:

B1ack_Mi16

1liter per 1000km, but the car's performance are very good, and it doesn't smoke when I pull the dipstick out. :huh:

It sounds like my old Mi16 when I bought it. I had to fill 1 litre each week, so probably a bit more than yours.

The car had done 250000km when I got it.

After I changed the valve stem seals it would use 1 litre on about 10000-15000km somewhere so never again had to refill before next oil change.

MiCRO
It sounds like my old Mi16 when I bought it. I had to fill 1 litre each week, so probably a bit more than yours.

The car had done 250000km when I got it.

After I changed the valve stem seals it would use 1 litre on about 10000-15000km somewhere so never again had to refill before next oil change.

Mine's got 205 000km on the clock (probably it's more since I'm not the first owner)

That's just what my mechanic told me, valve stem seals :lol:

So there's no chance I could at least lower the consumption with higher viscosity 5w40 oil?

KRISKARRERA

How's that going to help though? The oil will just flow slightly better from cold.

cammmy

My BX16v has about 300,000km on the clock and oil use is sweet as. It's had the valve stem seals replaced with teflon units. Only other things that's been done is the big-ends which I changed because I had the sump off anyway.

Thicker oil may help, especially if with a few km's on the motor. Maybe go for a 10w-50 or 15w-50 which is what I run.

welshpug

mine is on 100k miles and doesn't use any oil between services, though haven't used it in 2 years :(

MiCRO
How's that going to help though? The oil will just flow slightly better from cold.

Because quartz 7000 10w40 has viscosity index of 150, and quartz 9000 5w40 - 170, so I thought it would be a bit better

cammmy

Try a good quality 15w-50 bud and see if it helps.

Another question, you're not using fully synth are you?

MiCRO
Try a good quality 15w-50 bud and see if it helps.

Another question, you're not using fully synth are you?

no, semi-synth why?

cammmy

I believe in older/higher milage engines, fully synth oil makes it into the cylinder much more easily which causes higher consumption due to looser tolerances. It's designed for more modern engines with tighter tolerances

Also:

The problem that most people encounter when switching a high mileage car to synthetics is due to the detergents in the synthetic oil. The conventional oil "gunk" accumulates around the gaskets and other places, often times preventing leaks. The synthetic oil begins to remove this "gunk" and things like oil pan gaskets, main seals, and valve cover gaskets beging oozing oil.

Another thing to consider is based on the year of your vehicle and the type of cam/lifter configuration. A roller cam system works fine with synthetic oil. However, with the removal of zinc from engine oil over the last few years, many flat tappet cams have been unhappy with this change. My personal opinion is that flat tappet cam engines need a zinc additive even after break in. Most synthetic oils don't contain enough zinc and arent additive friendly.

I've never run a fully-synth though so can't comment from experience

MiCRO

s*it I just bought fully synth 5w40 yesterday :lol:

Well, I'll give it a shot, I'm selling the car anyway so nothing to loose really.

And I got a friend who used full synth on a high mile Mi16, and got no problems, no oil consumption, so I'm hoping eveything will be ok on mine too. :o

welshpug

synth/semi shouldn't do one bit of difference, its the grade that matters.

B1ack_Mi16
synth/semi shouldn't do one bit of difference, its the grade that matters.

second that...

Sign in to follow this