• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

2litre Overfill With Oil

B1ack_Mi16

My 407 had 2 litres too much of oil in it. *(Strange some sensor didn't tell me that?)

Anyway I have problems with the car that it uses 50% more diesel than the trip computer tells me, which really is an awful lot.

Anyone on here got any experience with never Peugeot diesels?

I think it's totally unacceptable that the real consumption is 50% more, the computer says 6.2l/100km, while the amount of fuel I filled gets it to more like 9l/100km.

My good old 405 2.1 TD was using 6.5l/100km and then I drove it like it was stolen.

The 407 I've tried to drive as economical as possible, and still it uses just insane amounts... No fun..

2anda1/4
My 407 had 2 litres too much of oil in it. *(Strange some sensor didn't tell me that?)

Anyway I have problems with the car that it uses 50% more diesel than the trip computer tells me, which really is an awful lot.

Anyone on here got any experience with never Peugeot diesels?

I think it's totally unacceptable that the real consumption is 50% more, the computer says 6.2l/100km, while the amount of fuel I filled gets it to more like 9l/100km.

My good old 405 2.1 TD was using 6.5l/100km and then I drove it like it was stolen.

The 407 I've tried to drive as economical as possible, and still it uses just insane amounts... No fun..

Hi Kristian

The first thing to do would be to put the oil level right and make sure the breathers are not blocked or contaminated. We've seen diesel engines run on their own engine oil!! You can't switch them off in the normal way but you have to stall them - (practicaly impossible if it's an auto).

Then see how it performs. If it's still the same then find someone with Peugeot Planet diagnostic equipment and see what data is stored and also what live data you get. We find our Peugeot planet gives the best results but Texa is also very good on European cars. Bosch is another good one.

Without seeing any data it's difficult to guess where the problem lies, but the 407's aren't the best model Peugeot ever made.

Hope this is of some help

Kev

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks for your suggestions. I actually have got a china copy of Peugeot Planet / Lexia / DiagBox, but I don't really know how to use that thought.

But the car is not throwing any fault codes, so everything seem to be as it should, but somehow fuel gets lost somewhere.

I've started to think maybe the webasto kicks inn during driving, and is on all the time without me noticing?

After I drained the 2 litres of oil, the average consumption (calculated by the car computer) went from approx. 6.2 to 5.6l / 100km, so that is ok I guess due to reduced drag on the crankshaft.

2anda1/4
Thanks for your suggestions. I actually have got a china copy of Peugeot Planet / Lexia / DiagBox, but I don't really know how to use that thought.

But the car is not throwing any fault codes, so everything seem to be as it should, but somehow fuel gets lost somewhere.

I've started to think maybe the webasto kicks inn during driving, and is on all the time without me noticing?

After I drained the 2 litres of oil, the average consumption (calculated by the car computer) went from approx. 6.2 to 5.6l / 100km, so that is ok I guess due to reduced drag on the crankshaft.

Webasto??

B1ack_Mi16

The Webasto is the factory fitted diesel burner that is located at the front left side (in front of left front wheel).

It is for extra heating of the coolant water during cold periods. I thought that maybe might be running while it shouldn't, hence a lot of fuel is consumed without me knowing it.

2anda1/4
The Webasto is the factory fitted diesel burner that is located at the front left side (in front of left front wheel).

It is for extra heating of the coolant water during cold periods. I thought that maybe might be running while it shouldn't, hence a lot of fuel is consumed without me knowing it.

Ahh, of course. Would that not show on live data?

B1ack_Mi16

I have no idea really.

Isn't the live data just based on injector opening times, and road-speed?

I didn't think it should be more complicated than that.

So surely some other device might be consuming the fuel, or there must be a leak somewhere, but I can't see any traces of a leak around the car.

2anda1/4

I have no idea really.

Isn't the live data just based on injector opening times, and road-speed?

I didn't think it should be more complicated than that.

So surely some other device might be consuming the fuel, or there must be a leak somewhere, but I can't see any traces of a leak around the car.

Hi Kristian,

I've been asking around today but can't come up with any suggestions - sorry mate. Let us know if you find out what it is :(

Kev

Edited by 2anda1/4

B1ack_Mi16

Appreciate your effort anyway :)

I haven't found out more myself, added some injector cleaner additive the to tank just to try it. But guess I have to check the injectors somehow for leaks etc.

The engine is quite often if driven at 1400-1600rpm juddering a bit, I have just thought this might be the EGR that is a bit slow in the operating. Will try to block the EGR with a blanking plate and see what happens to the juddering.

If it is still there then it actually might be something injector based.

2anda1/4

I haven't found out more myself, added some injector cleaner additive the to tank just to try it. But guess I have to check the injectors somehow for leaks etc.

The engine is quite often if driven at 1400-1600rpm juddering a bit, I have just thought this might be the EGR that is a bit slow in the operating. Will try to block the EGR with a blanking plate and see what happens to the juddering.

Now you mention it, have you tried an injector leak off test? Maybe the injectors are at fault, we've had a few with high leak off which can cause rough running and higher fuel consumption.

B1ack_Mi16

Now you mention it, have you tried an injector leak off test? Maybe the injectors are at fault, we've had a few with high leak off which can cause rough running and higher fuel consumption.

I need to check the injectors indeed. Thought about it myself too.

Is it just to disconnect the return hoses, and connect some other hoses and drain into 4 small cups and see if they are flowing the same?

I actually think that one injector might be leaking quite much, maybe all the time? It seem to me "oil level" is rising again.

I poured out oil so that it was about 2mm below max on the stick. Today it was 2-3mm above max, but I'm not sure if the vehicle was 100% horisontal when I did the drain and check, so will give it some more time and see if it gets even more "oil" in it.

But a constantly leaking injector is probably not very likely? Anyway that could be a possibility if it gets diesel in oil, and uses more fuel than calculated indicates that more diesel passes injectors than what it is supposed to do.

2anda1/4

I need to check the injectors indeed. Thought about it myself too.

Is it just to disconnect the return hoses, and connect some other hoses and drain into 4 small cups and see if they are flowing the same?

I actually think that one injector might be leaking quite much, maybe all the time? It seem to me "oil level" is rising again.

I poured out oil so that it was about 2mm below max on the stick. Today it was 2-3mm above max, but I'm not sure if the vehicle was 100% horisontal when I did the drain and check, so will give it some more time and see if it gets even more "oil" in it.

But a constantly leaking injector is probably not very likely? Anyway that could be a possibility if it gets diesel in oil, and uses more fuel than calculated indicates that more diesel passes injectors than what it is supposed to do.

Have you thought about selling it?? :lol:

The leak off test is basically what you said but with more complex equipment. A bit difficult to explain here.

B1ack_Mi16

Yes have thought about it, but it's a quite nice car, apart from the diesel consumption I like it.

I got it quite cheap, so it ain't that bad. Just passed the MOT now, so really just the engine that needs to be sorted out.

Regarding the test, can't I just do something like this, I suppose if something is really off with one injector, I will see different amount of fluid coming?

2anda1/4
Yes have thought about it, but it's a quite nice car, apart from the diesel consumption I like it.

I got it quite cheap, so it ain't that bad. Just passed the MOT now, so really just the engine that needs to be sorted out.

Regarding the test, can't I just do something like this, I suppose if something is really off with one injector, I will see different amount of fluid coming?

Yeah, that would work but you would have to sacrifice your original leak off/return pipe for the connectors and buy a new one. They're not expensive.

B1ack_Mi16

I got some measuring equipment now and did the injector leak-off test.

After 10 minutes of running this is the amount of leak-off that came out.

To me it looks quite ok, not much difference in the big picture?

120617-IMAG0263.jpg

I also hooked up planet to see how the injector corrections values were, and also they were almost all at 100%.

120617-IMAG0258.jpg

Looking at the other engine parameters it also seem like the differential pressure sensor for the particle filter is not working, reading 0mbar?

Modern cars really is a pain in the ass.. long live the 405 :)

120617-IMAG0257.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

I must really say that this car and diesel engine is the worst crap I've worked on ever.

Why is the glow plugs behind the EGR system at the rear of the engine? I need to get the glow plugs changed to make the DPF regeneration system work properly and I started to remove EGR.

Well, bolts broken and now I need to take the engine out.

Can't see why they can't design engines that are a little bit easier to work on, this on is just a tight mess of wires and small parts all over it.

cybernck

So you'd have to take them to their garages for repairs, that's why.

(Also, 99.99% of today's car consumers are not B1ack_Mi16 :lol:)

B1ack_Mi16
So you'd have to take them to their garages for repairs, that's why.

(Also, 99.99% of today's car consumers are not B1ack_Mi16 :lol:)

Yeah seem like that's it.

I've started dismantling now, think I'll do cambelt, waterpump, oil-seals etc. at the same time when I'm first out with it.

Also my wallet likes to drive the 405 TD in the mean time as it uses less diesel than the 407 ever will anyway :)

B1ack_Mi16

Voila, engine finally out!

120705-IMAG0331.jpg

This far I got of 3 of the glow plugs. Need to remove EGR before I get out the last one (I don't have small enough tools to do it without removing it). The first plug (nearest cambelt) actually disintegrated when I tried to take off the small nut, so the internals of the plug came out.

120705-IMAG0329.jpg

Regarding the plug tip getting stuck in the head I didn't have any problems at all with that, the old plug (Bosch) have a chamfer/conical design on the tip and they came undone very easy, could turn them out with my fingers when first loosened.

The new Beru plugs though seem to be a straight design without the conical tip, so I guess they might get stuck next time I need to change the plugs :)

120705-IMAG0334.jpg

cammmy

Weld the wastegate shut while the motor is out please :D

B1ack_Mi16
Weld the wastegate shut while the motor is out please :D

It seem to be semi-electrical operated at least, so not sure how it will react to that :)

I'm shocked about the outlet diameter on the turbo, it's like a 2.5cm diameter hole, really didn't think that would be enought for 136bhp diesel.

Sign in to follow this