• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

V8T16

V8 Powered T16

V8T16

So this is my first post on here so play nice !!

I am in the process of gathering all the bits to build a t16. Off course I would love to build the original but with the cost of transmission and engine bits I just don't see it ever being finished as I would always be missing something

So my plan is to to use the r8 gearbox as it requires no mods and to turn the wheels in the right direction!! Plus I have a spare one and loads other bits from various r8 builds through work.

I will also use a an Audi v8 4.2l engine and dry sump that like the r8 to allow the prop to pass.

I will come ntinue the drivetrain theme and use an r8 front diff.

The whole car will be spaceframed to allow for the mix of components. I can buy the evo 1 rear clam etc but I do want to have the evo 2 look so I am on the lookout for a evo 2 rear spoiler.

Once the frame is underway I will post a build thread for anyone interested in following it time scale is when it's done this is considered a mid life crisis project!!!

Always wanted a t16 but I would never be happy unless it was the full blown evo 2 rally car and I know I can't afford one of them

The donor car will be a 3 door shell as I require nothing else from it but the wheel

• Like 2

camgti

Surely you can find a T16 that needs work for similar money your going to plough into this project.

Or just build a manic turbo gti6/mi16 and laugh all day.

V8T16

I hear what you are saying but it would not be 4wd and I feel if I bought a real t16 and ripped it apart to make it into an evo 2 I would be destroying a bit off history so to avoid this build your own!!

Plus this is not about the cost as I will only put in what I can afford at the time and if it takes 2, 3 or 5 years to build it's about the enjoyment of building it more than anything plus what's an engineer to do with his spare time !!!

As I have an r8 box sat in the workshop I am a step closer to the end game.

welshpug

think id rather build an r8 rep than a 205 t16 with the wrong engine.

still turbo 16 road cars about for pretty sensible money really and many have been converted to rally spec in some form or other

V8T16

Horses for courses really.

I want a quick hill climb and track car come the end this is what it will be used for so hence the desire to spaceframe ultimately all the running gear will be Audi.

My aim and desire is very different to yours I want and require a new competition car. I could just wind my s1 up to 450bhp or stick a charger on my r8 but neither will give me what I want it for.

I used to rally a 1.6gti back in the day and I always loved my adventures in that but as others have said taking a standard 205 upping the power leaves you with chassis tuning issues that require masses of modification. Then it's still fwd.

I don't really care what engine is in the back as long as it's over 400bhp revs to 8k and can be developed further when the need arises the v8 ticks all of those boxes and the 4wd system is an 80/20 split on the r8 so requires no further updating for my requirement.

My post on here I always felt would go one way or the other I understand keeping a classic a classic but I will be using any old 3 door shel so won't cut up another gti.

As I will be the builder of said toy I can only blame myself if it doesn't work.

Budget for the build is 35k before you all say go and buy a real t16 or buy another pre built competition car I don't want to!!

Rear end design as in the chassis and the tunnel will be copied from the r8 as it works well.

I want to have my own last little homage to the t16 I can't afford a real works evo2 so for me this is the next best thing and at some point forced induction will happen so I will name her the t32 then !

allye

Sounds amazing. I'm welcoming you to the club with open arms and please post lots of photos and updates.

Cut up a GTI if you like, loads of unfished projects and shells out there people can't give the time, money or skill too.

Fill your boots it's only a bloody car!

• Like 2

pugdamo

I'll be interested to see this unfold. I'm always fascinated to see big projects like this come together, how people solve problems and the discussions that come out of these problems. It sounds like a big project but you can look back at it being a complete one off and having done everything yourself. Good luck with the build and keep the updates coming. The build will attract positive attention once it starts.

Enjoy the mid life crisis, I'm 32 and have been going through mine for the last 10 years :-/

dcc

My only worry would be to make it a t16 lookalike or similar it would need the right wheels, with the audi 5 stud is wont look right. Its the main reason that cut up evo6 doesnt quite look right. Well that and the doors and front end.

Great bit of engineering mind :)

Why not go down the high boost 1.8turbo audi lump route?

I.e. relatively cheap way to get 1000bhp

V8T16

Thank you all for your responses I can tell welshpug doesn't like the thought of this for his own reasons at the end of the day what I feel is great and fantastic you may feel it is sh1t.

However I am building for myself and not welshpug so although I take all comments onboard my end goal remains unchanged I plan to order the rear clam in the coming weeks so when that arrives I hope to get things moving and I will start to post some pictures and updates as I go along my biggest challenge right now is getting all the bend dimensions correct before I start bending up the tube as once it goes in the Cnc bender it takes no prisoners or mistakes !!!!!

• Like 1

V8T16

So I won't change the dimensions of the original t16 and the 5 stud will be just something I have to accept as is

My original concept was to use a 4 banger then when I looked at the weight the adaptations required for the 4wd it worked out heavier than using the v8 plus the v8 lumps starts at 420bhp and with a charger kit in the future takes you over 700bhp with no internal modification required and it revs for England I would have loved the v10 in there but at 25k for an engine it went straight of the list!!!

I am going down the route of buying the reproduction clam wings bonnet side pods and doors as again buying genuine t16 panels are too expensive and if I fall of the track not feasible to replace. The reproduction panels are not the cheapest but I saw a complete set of t16 panels for 15k the other night I also looked for other t16s and the cheapest good condition car was 90k

My aim is to build a car that can just be thrashed and put away until it's next thrashing !!

allye

Assume you've seen the Renault 5 with the Audi engine in the back?

jackherer

Welshpug, find another thread to post in if you don't have anything positive to add to this one.

V8T16, Welcome to the forum and please keep posting about this project.

• Like 2

Goliath

Hi James, fancy seeing you pop up here haha!

Should be an interesting build, let me know if you need a hand with any bits as I'm only just down the road.

I had an idea to make a t16 rep using the pug v6 engine mid mounted with each driveshaft running to a front and rear diff, I'm never going to have time to try it out though!

I know ade_4wd on here is building a (RWD) t16 replica using the v6 engine, but he is a very knowledgeable chap so probably useful to talk to, especially when it comes to wiring looms as that is his bread and butter!

• Like 1

Simes

Go for it, it sounds like a cool project.

Keep updating us.

V8T16

You know me mate pop up in all things once the idea of a project is planted that's it I am away just look at the rs4!!!

We shall have to have a chat about it soon

toolie72

Go on- make a 205 monster that eats fords for breakfast!!!

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

So you want a car that looks the way you want, with the mechanicals you want, to perform the way you want in a way that is more than the sum of its parts. You can build it and enjoy the challenge and aren't asking anyone else to pay for it. Awesome. And you're inviting other car enthusiasts to watch and those that choose to ( because it's fun for them) to join the thought processes.

I shall be watching this with interest. Way above my capabilities (and wallet for that matter) .

On a side note, is a Ford pop not a ford pop if it has a rover v8 and jag axle? (Showing my age)

V8T16

How do I post images? Am I just being thick here?

Thanks in advance

pugdamo

You need to sign up to a hosting site like photobucket or flikr, upload your pictures to that then copy the link. I use photobucket, I think it's the img code you copy and that will show the picture rather than showing a link everyone would need to click on. You can tell if it works by clicking preview post to make sure the pictures work.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

V8T16

So as I intend to use a very similar chassis design as the r8 I thought I should just have a sanity check and make sure it will all fit. After some head scratching I have a whole 6.5cm of room from the clam to the back of the gearbox so it shall fit nice and snug!!

IMG_4959_zpsyduvthzc.jpg

IMG_4938_zpsoshqmnal.png

calvinhorse

Any idea what the bolt pattern is on the bell housing? Is it similar to front engine derivatives?

V8T16

It is different but you can buy an adaptor kit but you will need to run a dry sump as the prop shaft takes away the sump on the v8 engine and I would imagine it's the same for any other.

allye

This Is going to be insane!

When your first photo is the back end of a bloody R8 masked up for measuring, you know it's going to be good.

• Like 1