• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aronw2004

Realistic Value

aronw2004

hi. sadly it might be time to part with my gti.

1988 e reg. 95thou. white loads of history. mot and on the road.

used as a wknd drive car.

all standard spec but iv put bilsteins all round and a k.n filter. and ferodo ds2500 brake disks and pads.

done arround 500 milles every year the last 5 years.

body good condition. some usual carpark dents but nothing that stands out. looks stunning polished in the sun.

rust on rear quater sill and door pillar both sides that will need attention if you want it to be perfect but this has been covered / hidden with stone chip and paint but i know it needs doing.

4 good tyres amd id put fresh mot on it.

whats the realistic price i should be asking and expect to get?

• Like 1

Telf

Look on eBay and piston heads. Compare yours and price accordingly.

Gaz205

ebay might not be the best place to sell. Try a free ad on a classic car site and with it needing rear quarters sorting and other body work I'd aim around £2500 absolutely tops!

eBay is a lottery you may get more or less

johniban

i would have a look at sold prices on ebay rather than the dreamers that ask for silly money, but it all depends on what someone is after, as weve seen no pictures or anything its hard to say, but 2500 seems on the cheap side

ciarandeery1

Sold on eBay does that mean the buyer has actually went through and paid for it though?

aronw2004
the rust was showing through the paint so it got sanded back and filler then painted as a temporary fix with the intent to get it sorted over the winter but never got round to it.
​ill try and upload a photo of the sills as they are now.
these photos were from last year
​
post-23300-0-51685400-1359224834_thumb.jpg
​post-23300-0-42898100-1398202096_thumb.jpg
​
post-23300-0-60037200-1398202371_thumb.jpg
​post-23300-0-87112500-1392756476_thumb.jpg

Gaz205

A 77k mi16 needing similar only made 2500 on eBay a few weeks ago....

The rust doesn't seem too bad from those pics to be honest

Edited by Gaz205

aronw2004

would the mi16 be cheaper due to it not being standard.

been looking round the sites and there is not many standard gti's there. the only thing im missing is the standard 205 jack.

dobboy

I'd be getting a jack and changing the indicators back to yellow, and advertise for 3.5k and gauge interest.

How's the interior? Wheels? And how many owners?

dcc

Its what ever somebody will pay. Yours looks clean and standard, theres lots for sale at 5k+, but they have been for sale for a long time. Not likely to sell quickly for a higher price

Telf

So as a gauge, mine is insured for £3500.

Its a standard 1.9. Its had loads of welding etc done on it and most of its parts changed over the last 5 years and a folder full of receipts etc. You wouldn't know its been repaired unless I told you.

Its on about 257K. Is it worth £3500? I dunno but it sure looks nice so maybe its worth it to the right buyer!

Telf

Yours looks pretty tidy, The temporary fix on the sill would put me off though as a buyer, if it has a fully documented repair however I personally wouldn't expect it to reduce its value.

Mac Crash

The rust doesn't seem too bad from those pics to be honest

Are you mad? the sills are rotten, look at the holes on paper thin steel once ground back...

Sill are nothing to worry about though, just be honest and hold your ground.

Mind it's an (E) phase 1 and the better car and more desirable.... 3k minimum in my view.

• Like 1

welshpug

its an 88 car so early phase 1.5

aronw2004

yes its a 1.5 phase. interior is all spot on. minor wear on the drivers seat but no tears. original radio. had to replace the boot sound proofing tho due to its condition. had a quote last year of 400 ish to do the sills at a body shop. i think id get that back in the price if i were to sort it out. wheels were referbed last year. ( not in photos) . i just need to paint the spare wheel holder now and referb the spare wheel also and its sorted.

aronw2004

rear axle got reconditioned by the previous owner but i dont have a recipt.

Gaz205

Are you mad? the sills are rotten, look at the holes on paper thin steel once ground back...

Sill are nothing to worry about though, just be honest and hold your ground.

Mind it's an (E) phase 1 and the better car and more desirable.... 3k minimum in my view.

Sills are basic repairs, to me it wouldn't worry me at all. Few hundred tops I'd say so I wouldn't class that as being mad! ????

johniban

mine is only 95% finished, deffo not perfect by any means compared to others ive seen, insurance covered it for £5000 but thats obviously not what its worth, thats just what it could cost them to cover modifications/repaint ect.

id put it on ebay and see what it goes for with a reserve of £2500

johniban

Sills are basic repairs, to me it wouldn't worry me at all. Few hundred tops I'd say so I wouldn't class that as being mad!

Maybe to an experienced fabricator?

For people like me, i found it to be one of the hardest jobs replacing the sill/rebuilding the inner sill, mine started with a tiny bit of rust underneath, turned into a nightmare