Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Suspension And How It Works

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

Adi

Adi
  • Veterans
  • 560 posts

what is the standard rear track for the 1.6 and 1.9 ?

Rear track of 1.6GTI is 52.3" and the 1.9 is 52.7".

Loffas

Loffas
  • Drivers
  • 31 posts
ADI, this is really great reading :) ;)

Im thinking of getting av bigger ARB to a 309axel but not by changing the arb, but by adding an extra. same way that vw gti 99+ does. This picture explaines:

Posted Image

could this also prevent the arms from moving some? it bolts into the arms and helds up under the tube
(its rather hard and exspensive to find bigger arb for the 309.)

edit: adding another pic.

Posted Image

Edited by Loffas, 17 November 2004 - 11:12 PM.

Adi

Adi
  • Veterans
  • 560 posts

Im thinking of getting av bigger ARB to a 309axel but not by changing the arb, but by adding an extra.

LOL and good luck ;) I say this tongue in cheek......as I was contemplating something very similar to my last 206. Actually the Grp A Peugeot Sport cars whether they be the 106, 206 or 306 all had seperate roll bars front and rear. The roll bars were actually fitted thru the chassis legs with tubes welded into the legs and then a bar with bushes fitted and adjutable arms and links rose jointed on the arms both front and rear. The only problem is the amount of room on a normal road car.
I first started off by looking into a similar system as fitted to the VW's but quickly found it wouldn't work simply cos of the different ways the rear axles work on the 2 cars. The VW has a beam axle that moves in 1 so the arms are fixed. Where as the Peugeot has a fixed tube with trailing arms. So only the arms really move up and down. Also there are brake pipes etc running around the tube. So as you'll see when you get under.......room is really a problem hence why the rally cars use the chassis legs as a straight route thru from one side to the other.

Let me know how you go on.

christophe

christophe
  • Passengers
  • 17 posts
With regards camber seting, yeah the temperature is important, in racing necessarily road use,in my experiance anything of over 10 degrees difference between inside to outside, is not recomended it will start buggering up tyre psi's etc , but you tend to have as much neg camber as possible, at most 3 degrees. This works the tyre harder, but wears the tyres out quick!!!, and as a car rolls around a corner one side will gain neg and one will gain pos camber, but pos camber is to be all but avoided it looses contact patch and grip.