Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C5 Type Wheel Nuts/bolts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Mac Crash

Mac Crash
  • Drivers+
  • 536 posts
  • Name:Colin
Garage View Garage

What nuts or bolts are you using for these wheels? 

I have the correct bolts for standard mounting and the correct nuts for stud conversions... the C5 wheels are the type with the

concave/countersunk holes... should I be using washers with these? if so, where to buy them? Thanks.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
  • Name:Mei
i use the oem bolts with the loose taper washer on them.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,580 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor

There are two types. If yours is the tapered seat version it's easy. Just use any steel 60 deg tapered seat, M12x1.25 nut with the correct length stud.

Edited by petert, 24 July 2017 - 09:58 PM.

Mac Crash

Mac Crash
  • Drivers+
  • 536 posts
Garage View Garage

They're the tapered seat type wheels... just was thinking why the oe bolts would come with a washer... must be a reason. Yet you wouldn't use a washer if bolting onto studs with nuts.

I was aware of the unsprung weight saving on the wheel & tyre combinations, but still surprised at just how light these are.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,580 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor

Yes, the washer is nice but optional. You remove the washer from the standard bolt if you prefer and use a flat nut, but it all gets a bit messy when you're in a rush.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
  • Name:Jack
Garage View Garage
I thought the washer was probably to stop a normal steel bolt from chewing the wheel when tightening it. Whatever the wheels are made from is pretty soft compared to an alloy or steel wheel.

The washer on the correct bolts is conical btw if you don't know. I got the bolts from a dealer iirc.

Mac Crash

Mac Crash
  • Drivers+
  • 536 posts
Garage View Garage

Aye, your probably right Jack as the material is quite thin... I'll buy some oe washers, no harm in that, cheers...