Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How To Adjust Rear Drum Brakes?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

kachel

kachel
  • Drivers
  • 116 posts
  • Name:Rob Rosema
One drumbrake does not brake well, not on handbrake or normal breaking. The wheel can be turned around while breaking. I already bleeded the brakes and fluid came through the nippel. So is there a way to adjust the drum brakes to make it break well again?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
  • Name:Mei

take the drums off and check the cylinders are not leaking, it should be dry under the dust covers.

slacken the cables off and adjust the shoes up till they just rub on the drum, pump the pedal hard a few times then adjust the handbrake, there shouldn't be much tension in the cables.

kachel

kachel
  • Drivers
  • 116 posts
Thanks wp, how do i adjust the shoes and handbrake? The cylinder is dry. I already took the drum off.

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 335 posts
  • Name:Gareth

Thanks wp, how do i adjust the shoes and handbrake? The cylinder is dry. I already took the drum off.

I am all for learning about how to repair my own car but I would suggest using a manual or take it to someone that can talk you through it or pay and watch it be done. Brakes aren't trial and error, especially when it ain't joust discs and pads.

Wallby

Wallby
  • Drivers+
  • 310 posts
  • Name:Rhys

You can adjust the brake shoe by taking 1 of the wheel bolts out, then with a screwdriver, turn the adjuster cog until it just starts to rub when tou turn the wheel.

The adjuster cog is towards the top of the drum, shouldn't be too hard to find.

kachel

kachel
  • Drivers
  • 116 posts
Yes, fixed. When i found the adjuster cog it was a simple fix. Thanks all!

kachel

kachel
  • Drivers
  • 116 posts

I started doing the other wheel also but there something else occured....

I didn't get the brake power right after turning the adjuster cog, so ik removed the drum brake and pushed the brake, only on one side of the brake cilinder the brakepiston came out fully.

On the other side of the brake cilinder the piston did not come out, so it's stuck. After putting back the piston that came fully out of the cylinder i blocked the working piston to get the pressure on the stucked side of the cylinder but the piston did't came lose.

Any suggestions on how to get the piston lose?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
  • Name:Mei
pump the pedal harder.

pugdamo

pugdamo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,015 posts
  • Name:Damian
Garage View Garage
Buy a new wheel cylinder, if it's got a seized piston chances are when you free it off it will start to leak and for the price of a wheel cylinder and piece of mind is not going to leak and ruin your shoes the best bet is to get a new one.

kachel

kachel
  • Drivers
  • 116 posts
Thanks for the info!