• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

M3Evo

Had a bit of a break from housework last night, and started to make the internal structure molds for the charge cooler.

Was gonna go really to town and make a set of permanent molds, but had a bit of a reality check and so they're just made from cardboard covered in release film.

Here's the turning vane for the inlet. This extends all the way up the inlet pipe and runs to half way along the cores:

Image0157.jpg

And this is the start of the structure that will hopefully hold the top and bottom halves together:

Image0158.jpg

Idea with the second one is to have the reinforcement zig-zag up and down, being bonded to top and bottom of the cooler. Will remove a fair amount of material from it once it's done in an attempt to keep pressures throughout the cooler reasonably consistent.

shalmaneser

This is gonna be a work of art by the time it's finished....just hope it does what it's supposed to do!!!!

hman205

How the progress going?

M3Evo

It's not at the mo unfortunately <_<

Got the keys to my flat on the 4th of August, and haven't done anything except the tiny bit of the charge cooler since!

However, have done tonnes of decorating, plastering, building partition walls, putting up lining paper, wiring and so forth :rolleyes:

M3Evo

Anyone know where I can legally acquire an old metal beer keg? :(

mfield

Tradeteam ?

M3Evo

Ooh, will give 'em a shout! Although might end up using a dustbin instead ;)

Tiny (and cryptic) update!

Just had this delivered:

refractory-castable-grade-1700-3-p.jpg

Who can guess what's coming next :blush:

dcc

a friend has sevral in his back garden - how many do you need?

M3Evo

Beer barrels? :D

Only need one! :D

M3Evo

Hooooray! Finally got something meaningful done on the car!

Have spent some time measuring up the engine and dry sump pump and then putting all the data into the computer.

Had these two sump flanges cut last summer(!) which form the basis for the sump system.

Image0137-small.jpg

One of the flanges carries the pump and a crank scraper (the light grey assembly in the pics):

iso.jpg

right.jpg

While the other carries the sump itself (the orangey bit):

back.jpg

Really only started sketching the sump last night so what's shown is really just a first idea.

Also need the light grey assy to carry the oil pickup pipes and the connections to the outside world.

M3Evo

Slowly but surely, we're getting there with the sump!

Made a little template for the crank scraper over the weekend (and had many a computer problem! :lol: )

Image0251.jpg

The scraper clears everything nicely.....which is more than can be said for the oil pump! :lol:

Basically, it needs to be about 25mm shorter in order to clear the steering rack!

Took the new pump apart last night to see if this might be achievable:

Image0252.jpg

Luckily, it looks like the nose bearing can be shifted back and the front of the pump machined off! So all in all, a good evening yesterday :D

Image0255.jpg

M3Evo

Have been very busy this weekend, doing all kinds of terrifying things!

Have machined the nose off of the oil pump, terrifying because it needed to be very accurate, and cost lots of money in the first place!

Started off by moving this shoulder down by 25mm:

DSCI0416Small.jpg

Which meant clocking the housing in on the lathe:

DSCI0419Small.jpg

and then using the boring head to veeeeery carefully remove the offending metal:

DSCI0420Small.jpg

But the end result is this shortened nose:

DSCI0422Small.jpg

Need to order new bearings for it now, thinking that it can do without the front seal though, as it's living in an oily environment now. This probably does mean that I need to maching a groove for a snap ring though.

And while all that was going on, also decided to have another go at casting

pdd144c

Random question, and as I haven't had time to read all 64 pages, what size wheels and tyres are you running?

Cheers

Paul.

M3Evo

:lol: I'll be running 17J8 wheels and probably 205 section tyres at the front and either 235 or 245 at the back.

Whyeeeeee? :D

Little bit of progress this weekend.

Got the pump back together, very pleased with how accurately I managed to machine for the nose bearings. Just had to pop the nose section of the pump back on the machine to run a groove for a circlip:

DSCI0437Small-1.jpg

DSCI0439Small-1.jpg

And then it was just a case of making a spacer to seperate the bearings and chucking it all back together:

DSCI0443Small.jpg

Can't really tell here, but the sprocket has been recessed to allow the pump to move forward:

DSCI0446Small.jpg

And finally, started work on the mounting plate for the pump:

DSCI0445Small.jpg

It's 3mm steel with 3mm tapping plates welded on. There'll be some machining to clear the big ends, but hopefully I'll be able to get it tacked into place this evening :D

shalmaneser

yey!

Can't wait to see this start coming together again!

pdd144c

Coz I'm putting a S50 lump in my e30 which currently has 195/50/R15 R888s fitted! Diff is quite low ratio so may be ok, but I doubt it... Be a shame as I can get the tyre cheap.

M3Evo

Aah fair enough, guess the 15" wheels would limit the size of the brakes you could fit though.

Woo hoo! Started welding things into the sump last night! :D

Started off by finding out exactly how high the pump needs to be using these conveniently sized brass bars. There are some little spacers under the bars just to bring them up a bit.

DSCI0447Small.jpg

DSCI0448Small.jpg

Next up is to take everything apart and jig it up for welding. Even more convenient than the brass bars was the fact that the mounting plate needed to be exactly 3" from the side of the sump, hence the big block of ali over in the back there.

DSCI0449Small.jpg

Last job of the evening was to start making little arms to weld in place:

DSCI0450Small.jpg

DSCI0451Small.jpg

Where space allows, there will be full width bridging pieces spanning the sump.

The basic idea was to find the height of the pump, replicate that on the jig, then secure the mounting plate to the underside of the jig and weld it in place. Once it's all in, I'll skim the plate flat and any final adjustment of the pump will be done using shims.

Hopefully, more to follow from tonight!

M3Evo

Gleee! We have minimal warpage! :D

Have finished off the lateral braces for the plate this evening:

DSCI0449Small-1.jpg

And also knocked up a more substantial vertical brace. This runs over a main bearing cap so there's nothing moving too near to it :)

DSCI0450Small-1.jpg

DSCI0451Small-1.jpg

Next up is making the crank scraper and welding this in place. There are two clashes to resolve too where number 1 and 2 conrods hit the plate. No1 can be resolved by a simple pocket in the plate, No2 needs the middle of the plate to be removed so will have to reinforce it again.

Once all the welding's done, the plate will be skimmed flat and drilled and tapped to accept the pump :D

M@tt

love this project!!!!

hman205

any progress?

M3Evo

Sadly not.

Have been moving house for about the last 8 weeks!

Usual saga, our buyer threatens to pull out, our seller drags their feet (not necessarily their fault but the effect is the same)

So we've sold my GF's house and moved into my little flat.....and everything else is in storage!

If we're really lucky, we might move into our new place before Christmas!

After the move, let the DIY commence! :)

M3Evo

Can ya tell what it is yet? :D

Photo0023Small.jpg

Still no house unfortunately!

Merry Christmas everybody! :D

Rippthrough

It's a lathe.

What do I win?

Edited by Rippthrough

M3Evo

Half right!

You win a hand full of wood shavings! :D