• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[project] Project 205 Xu13j4

shine

No probs with a ride, but when I beeing a passenger with You, I'll notice my lack of 100 horses in my engine bay.................... :P

sonofsam

Really liking that colour Kristian, where did you fid it? :P

Great work BTW :P

B1ack_Mi16
Really liking that colour Kristian, where did you fid it? :)

Great work BTW B)

Thanks for that mate.

The color is actually just a standard industry paint color.

I can get the name for you if you really want it. ;)

Have updated the gallery with pics from my first attempt ever to build a rollcage.

It turned out pretty good, but I would have done some changes if I were to make it again, eg. get the main hoop a little further up towards the roof.

A picture of the finished product, made so it can easily be bolted in and out of the car, quite handy.

CIMG0739.thumb.jpg

The rest of the pics are here, probably lots of boring ones :)

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/b1ack_mi16-rollcage?page=1

B1ack_Mi16

Rear beam time :)

I got a 309 gti beam very cheap from a mate, I knew it possibly would be fubared, but didn't expect it to be as bad as it turned out.

This is how it looked when I was done with it ;)

CIMG0438.thumb.jpg

Obviously I had to get a new beam from the scrappy, but I saved the most important parts anyway, TB's and ARB.

CIMG0446.thumb.jpg

I sandblasted and painted the beamtube I got from the scrappy, it turned out pretty nice.

CIMG0495.thumb.jpg

The beam I got from the scrappy had one perfect shaft, and one fubared.

The latter is seen in the pic below.

CIMG0432.thumb.jpg

Got that changed for a new one and it soon looks so much better.

CIMG0498.thumb.jpg

Painted the torsionbars with red Hammerite.

CIMG0505.thumb.jpg

Also gave the rest of the parts from the beam a lick of black Hammerite, before I assembled it into this.

CIMG0510.thumb.jpg

Brakes and such to be added later :wub:

Mongo

Looking good, its been ages since you first started on this with the engine!

I contacted magnum motorsports a while ago about pictures of their bonnet, as i need clearance for my air filter as well with the throttle bodies (the support bracket on a normal bonnet hits off the filter, and i have no chance of fitting the airbox i have as it sits even higher).

Is there anychance you can grab some photos of the inside of the bonnet and bonnet structure (side on etc) for me, so i can see how it looks? As magnum motorsports couldnt provide me with pictures.

dodsworth_gti

this project is really inspiring me now lol,ive been reading a few 205 projects recently and they are really making me want to start one lol,im on my 2nd 205 now and not properly projected one yet,suppose the main thing is haveing the space lol

B1ack_Mi16
Looking good, its been ages since you first started on this with the engine!

Sure it's ages ago! Think it must be like 3 years since I first started the planning of the engine.

Is there anychance you can grab some photos of the inside of the bonnet and bonnet structure (side on etc) for me, so i can see how it looks? As magnum motorsports couldnt provide me with pictures.

Got some pictures of it here:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG1369.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG1363.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG1364.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG1365.jpg

On the inside it's got reinforcements around the edges of the bonnet, so it's not that wobbly, a little extra reinforcement could have been nice to have in the middle I guess, but I'm not sure how it will wobble, as havent driven the car yet.

You see my airfilter sit pretty high in the bay, and with this bonnet it just about clears the filter.

B1ack_Mi16
this project is really inspiring me now lol,ive been reading a few 205 projects recently and they are really making me want to start one lol,im on my 2nd 205 now and not properly projected one yet,suppose the main thing is haveing the space lol

Space is surely important, it's incredible how much space a complete car in parts occupies!

johnrobertgordon

Awsome looking car. Cant wait to see it finnished.

Billy_boy

coming along nicely mate, looking forward to the finished product! :D

Mongo
Sure it's ages ago! Think it must be like 3 years since I first started the planning of the engine.

Got some pictures of it here:

On the inside it's got reinforcements around the edges of the bonnet, so it's not that wobbly, a little extra reinforcement could have been nice to have in the middle I guess, but I'm not sure how it will wobble, as havent driven the car yet.

You see my airfilter sit pretty high in the bay, and with this bonnet it just about clears the filter.

Thanks for the links to the pictures its appreciated.

It does look quite sturdy, i am wondering if its still possible to have the bonnet catch though and if it will work off that, as im not too big a fan of bonnet pins (its a road car).

When the airbox is fitted it is around the same height as your airfilter (according to where the slam panel is). This is how the current air filter looks on a standard bonnet and as you can see, the support beam (on underside of bonnet), just catches the filter:

http://www.yamr1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/205engine.jpg

Edited by Mongo

B1ack_Mi16
Thanks for the links to the pictures its appreciated.

It does look quite sturdy, i am wondering if its still possible to have the bonnet catch though and if it will work off that, as im not too big a fan of bonnet pins (its a road car).

When the airbox is fitted it is around the same height as your airfilter (according to where the slam panel is). This is how the current air filter looks on a standard bonnet and as you can see, the support beam (on underside of bonnet), just catches the filter:

http://www.yamr1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/205engine.jpg

I think it looks like your setup will have much more clearance than mine.

Mainly because your filter doesn't sit as far to the front as mine, and that's actually where there's least clearance.

Get some aerocatch locks, I think they look pretty good :)

B1ack_Mi16

Back to the project also...

Regarding brakes I've used the 406 Coupe V6 Brembos up front, with the 283x26mm dics.

Bought this set of eBay, decided to paint them red, so started matting them down.

CIMG0195.thumb.jpg

Painted them with 2pac Foliatech calieprpaint using a small spraygun.

Turned out pretty nice.

CIMG0209.thumb.jpg

Also got some inverted stickers with the Brembo logo made up and painted the logo in silver on the calipers.

CIMG0216.thumb.jpg

Voila, front brakes ready to fit :)

At the rear I decided to use a special setup. I made my own caliper brackets with Autocad, and used 405 mi16 front dics, 266x20mm vented.. with a combined caliper from 1.9 rear and 1.6 front brakes.

Bracket for caliper (and exhaust manifold flange).

CIMG0806.thumb.jpg

Caliper fitted to beam, with disc.

CIMG0960.thumb.jpg

Also decided to refurb the brake servo, painted it black, and got a new aluminium mastercylinder from a early 406. My local pug dealer even had a brake fluid reservoar in stock. Got that cheap as it had been in stock for 8 years :P

CIMG1038.thumb.jpg

mickie

love the new calipers.. top work so far :unsure:

B1ack_Mi16

Time for an update, long time since last now.

I started mounting parts on the bare shell to make it a driveable car again.

Rear beam mounted.

CIMG1009.thumb.jpg

Also fitted front subframe after it was painted, and mounting the PTS front struts, rolling shell!

CIMG1087.thumb.jpg

Fitting a dummy engine with head, exhaustmanifold etc. to inspect clearance. Tight on the exhaust and also bonnet doesn't seem to fit.

CIMG1103.thumb.jpg

After quite some time sorting out problems with both exhaust and inlet clearance, the real engine was put in place. I'm pretty chuffed with how the install looks, even at this stage although it ain't finished.

IMG_1796.thumb.jpg

Mounting the rollcage after it's been painted.

CIMG1261.thumb.jpg

Bonnet, front wings and doors are on to be adjusted before painting.

CIMG1309.thumb.jpg

Car testfitted with one of the wide arches, wheels seem to fill them out nice enough.

CIMG1314.thumb.jpg

Now the car was ready for it's paint-job! :blink:

All the pics from the assembly and testfitting period can be found here:

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/b1ack_mi16-assembly?page=1

Powers

Looks great. Will be awesome when its done!

Its the attention to detail that makes all the difference!

DrSarty

Well impressed!

Not only a lot of hardwork, care and attention, but presented in a clear, easy to follow way too.

I like these chronological walk-through-talk-throughs as it inspires you to have a go yourself.

And that engine sounds a frickin beastie!! And how big are those valves :) . Most jealous.

Well done.

Rich :)

de Noir

Top small paintgun work. :)

I suspect you painted the servo housing with it too?

I'm about to do the same stuff myself, subframe and suspension parts + brakes. :)

Edited by MH_

Anthony

Nearly there now! Looking really good, and should be an animal :)

Henry 1.9GTi

:)

quality might have to go to norway just to see it in action.

B1ack_Mi16

Time for an update, and see how the paintjob went.

I did all the prepwork myself, and two mates of me was going to spray it in a home-made spray-boot they have access to.

Arriving the barn on trailer, sadly it was raining heavy and the plastic I had covered the car with blew away after just a few minutes of driving, so the car was soaking inside out and I wasn't too happy about that :(

CIMG0086.thumb.jpg

But we got it into the boot and turned on the heat, got rid of the water and started masking it up.

CIMG0090.thumb.jpg

And then we sprayed it :P

I was very sceptical about my choise of color when I saw it inside the spray-boot.

CIMG0096.thumb.jpg

After getting it into the workshop in more normal light conditions it looked much better B)

CIMG0098.thumb.jpg

CIMG0099.thumb.jpg

I also painted the bumpers and rear plate matt black in my garage while the car was away and I had the opportunity to do it.

CIMG0128.thumb.jpg

CIMG0129.thumb.jpg

Then got it home and started putting some parts on :D

CIMG0149.thumb.jpg

Just some assembly work remaining now, getting the screens mounted etc...

sonofsam

Excellent, looks lovely, really like that colour :P

Hoping to spray mine in a barn aswell :DB)

huckleberry

:P

It looks great!

oli-pug

lovely colour :D im so glad you didnt do any colour coding aswell, looks brilliant with all the factory black plastics back on! nice contrast :D

duncs

that looks the nuts :D