• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichEdwins

[project] My New 205... With A Honda Heart :-)

Guest RichEdwins

Hi there,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, and now seems like the right time to introduce myself. I've had peugeots since 2003 when I met Jon Ambler at University and subsequently purchased my first 106 Rallye. In 2004 I met Sandy, which has proved to be the most expensive friendship I've ever struck up! I bought his tb'd 16v TU engine, which went in my 106, and now belongs to Mark Yates of the 106 Rallye Register. In recent years I owned Sandy's 205 rallye:

100_0013red.jpg

Which I'm sure is familiar to many of you. I sold this late last year to Mark Davey who is going to hillclimb it with and engine built by Sandy, which will be great I hope!

After speaking with Sandy and Colin Satchell, I decided there was only one route to go for my next car, and it's Honda, but with a very french twist, here's some photos of the car looking a bit grubby:

205_engine_in_red.jpg

205_engine_in_2_red.jpg

What you can see in the engine bay there is a JDM 2.2 Prelude VTEC engine!

The car has widetrack front suspension, rear turrets, a mental cage, and lots of excess metal missing. Progress has been really fast, it came back from spraying last night, here's some pictures of how it looks now!

Wide!!

100_0786red.jpg

Light!

100_0783red.jpg

Are you getting a roll cage?

100_0782red.jpg

Mint

100_0781red.jpg

There is still plenty to do/buy, but to say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement, thanks to Sandy for the throttle bodies, wiring and mapping that will be going on shortly, Colin for all the fabricating and ferrying it about, and to Bart and his mates for the spraying. Roll on May!

24seven

looks like that's going to be mental! keep us updated.

j_turnell

Nice choice of engine, guna be a weapon!

mnaylor9

I have owned a 2.2 vtec prelude and they are very quick, the 0-60 book time is about 6.7 secs, 183 bhp. Think what it's going to be like in a 205 shell!

Seriously fast.

CaptainK

Is that the 2.2 VTEC 185bhp or the later 2.2 VTEC producing around 197bhp? My mate had a 197bhp 2.2 VTEC 5th gen Prelude and it was quite quick. Just a shame the standard gearing on it means that it revs its nuts off whilst cruising on the motorway. 80mph was 4500rpm I think (compared to 4000rpm for my 1.9 GTi and 3500rpm for my FTO GPX).

In a 205 though, that engine is going to be nuts. What gearbox are you mating it too?

Guest RichEdwins
Is that the 2.2 VTEC 185bhp or the later 2.2 VTEC producing around 197bhp? My mate had a 197bhp 2.2 VTEC 5th gen Prelude and it was quite quick. Just a shame the standard gearing on it means that it revs its nuts off whilst cruising on the motorway. 80mph was 4500rpm I think (compared to 4000rpm for my 1.9 GTi and 3500rpm for my FTO GPX).

In a 205 though, that engine is going to be nuts. What gearbox are you mating it too?

It's the early engine, but hopefully with throttle bodies and a decent exhaust it should see good power! I'm having Sandy's Accord Type-R gearbox with the LSD :D

danpug

Good to see you over here rich :D Car looks absolutely amazing.

base-1

f*** a duck Rich, I was in Wimborne the other day aswell and wondered what you were up to these days :D Looks awesome, finished in May you reckon then?

Longun

WOW. Nice work looks like it will be stunning. I like the extreme diet it’s been on :D

AdamVester

wow looks awesome you will have to make some videos of it running and in action when its ready.

Guest RichEdwins

Dan, it good to see you as well, glad you've got another 205 to be getting on with

Rich, it's been too long mate, hopefully it should be up and going in early summer, did I hear you're at uni these days?

Joe, the diet is pretty extreme, but if you're going to do something, you might as well go the whole hog....

Adam, there will be MANY videos!

Edited by RichEdwins

richsmells

Nice project. You're in Bournemouth too I see! :D

Atters

That is seriously nice!! Looks totally different to how it was a few months back, quick progress indeed. Those arches look huuuuge - get the wheel choice right and itll be perfect.

Sandy

It's looking great, Bart's done a star job of the panels!

base-1
Rich, it's been too long mate, hopefully it should be up and going in early summer, did I hear you're at uni these days?

Definitely, have to catch up properly at some point. May be coming down for the Sunseeker, can grab a pint if I make it. I'm a student now yeah, wish I'd kept a job sometimes....

What's the plans for the car? Going to compete in it or what?

Edited by base-1

Sam

Rich, do you want to jump in with me when I go down to see Sandy next week? I'm going to grab a load of bits and have a natter/curry etc.

Nice work on the car, I've been having a major rethink and am de-peugeoting mine too. Remove as much peugeot bits to make it a bit more reliable! I'm going VAG which will offend most but it'll be different and still with the same mental powerfigure, instead with a box that isn't made of yoghurt after a few runs.

Guest RichEdwins
Rich, do you want to jump in with me when I go down to see Sandy next week? I'm going to grab a load of bits and have a natter/curry etc.

Nice work on the car, I've been having a major rethink and am de-peugeoting mine too. Remove as much peugeot bits to make it a bit more reliable! I'm going VAG which will offend most but it'll be different and still with the same mental powerfigure, instead with a box that isn't made of yoghurt after a few runs.

When are you going Sam? I was intending to head down at the weekend, but if you're down during the week, I might be able to take some time.

I think de-peugeoting makes sense, they make great chassis, but the rest isn't a solid as some other manufacturers!

huckleberry

Looks like a pro job, but I think you've got a rodent there B)

Maybe the question you realy don't want to hear but I keep wondering; Why not go with a Honda shell too? It is because of the lightweight of the 205 shell? I mean for Honda's there seems to be endlessly more aftermarket stuff too which seems cheaper than the Peugeot stuff too.

Guest RichEdwins
Looks like a pro job, but I think you've got a rodent there B)

Maybe the question you realy don't want to hear but I keep wondering; Why not go with a Honda shell too? It is because of the lightweight of the 205 shell? I mean for Honda's there seems to be endlessly more aftermarket stuff too which seems cheaper than the Peugeot stuff too.

I think you're looking at it from the a different perspective to me. I knew I wanted a 205 shell, and then decided on the engine. Colin (the guy doing the fabricating) has so much experience making 205s handle brilliantly that I knew what I wanted, and then after driving Sandy's 309 with the ATR engine, the engine decision was obvious. I think in the future more and more people will start looking past peugeot engines, and toward more efficient designs.

Guest RichEdwins
Definitely, have to catch up properly at some point. May be coming down for the Sunseeker, can grab a pint if I make it. I'm a student now yeah, wish I'd kept a job sometimes....

What's the plans for the car? Going to compete in it or what?

I'm not sure if I'm around that weekend yet, if I am about a pint sounds like a great idea mate.

Initially the car isn't going to be competed, the engine would mean it's only eligable for the sports libre class at sprint and hillclimb events (I think anyway). We'll see what happens, i just want to enjoy some trackdays in it first!

GLPoomobile

I'm not in the least bit jealous, honest!! B)

That is just :D:D:wub:

I think it's great that in the last few years a few Honda powered 205s/309s have emerged. Years ago this sort of thing was my dream car - a healthy mating of one of the best 4 pot engines around with one of the best hot hatches ever produced.

Sandy

My sentiment exactly!

andychalmers

Mint conversion Rich, hows it getting on?

Any new pics?

Im doing a similar conversion for my new 205 rally car, sticking with the Honda 1600 16 V tho. Any info on the engine conversion would be very helpfull!

DrSarty
i just want to enjoy some trackdays in it first!

I think that's an under statement! Best of luck on this. I think I may have seen your car when I was visiting Colin with Sandy around Christmas.

You're in safe hands, and I think have a healthy following of jealous 205 owners. :P

Maybe you can come for a pub meal at the Jamaica Inn on Friday 28th March? (There's a thread in 'Meets'). Hopefully meet you there.

Edited by DrSarty

Guest RichEdwins
I think that's an under statement! Best of luck on this. I think I may have seen your car when I was visiting Colin with Sandy around Christmas.

You're in safe hands, and I think have a healthy following of jealous 205 owners. :D

Maybe you can come for a pub meal at the Jamaica Inn on Friday 28th March? (There's a thread in 'Meets'). Hopefully meet you there.

Thanks very much, I'll see how work is going that Friday, it'd be great to meet all of the south west lot, so I'll put it in my Calendar!