• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Anyone Have Experience Of Mk2 Golf Gti's?

ATK

Got a hankering for another classic hot hatch.

Max budget 5k.

Looked at Mk1 golf gti's but too expensive.

Really really like the look and idea of a Mk2 golf gti.

Anyone have any experience of them and what to look out for?

Cheers

Alex

Tom Fenton

About 4 of my mates had various mk2 Golfs over the years. They are approx 150kg heavier than a 205 which blunts the way they change direction and blunts the speed down the road. After a good 1.9 I think you'll be disappointed to be perfectly honest. The flip side is they are well screwed together and I think a decent looking thing in later big bumper guise.

Look out for rot as they do properly rot.

welshpug

Yep, rot is the main thing, depends what you want from it too, finding an unmolested original documented example under 5k will be tricky.

weird electrical faults can creep into them, they really don't like sitting, as well as all the points Tom raised.

engine tuning scope is vast as soon as you step away from the original engines, chassis is a bit limited, they do an ok track car but they seem too short travel for fast road and rally use.

ATK

From what I've read rot is much more common than the 205's.

I'm not looking to replace the 205, that's definitely staying - and I wouldn't expect the same driving experience from a MK2 golf GTI but they are intriguing me. Would be looking to keep standard.

Although this is 8v, this seems pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-MK2-MKII-1-8-GTi-8v-big-bumper-Retro-Original-Quality-/142432913846?hash=item2129a9c9b6:g:TasAAOSwvflZWN0U

And this one which is the 16v

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-1990-Volkswagen-Golf-MK2-GTI-1-8-16v-GTi-5-Door-Great-Example-Long-MOT/302387452888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

SimonJ

I had a 1989 one from 1996 to 1999 and surprisingly bad rot in surprising places when I went to sell it. Handled very predictably and easy to catch if not actually much fun. Would rather have a crash in one than in a 205.

tartanbloke

8v model has a measly 110bhp and the 16v has 137bhp.

Therefore, if it was me, I would be looking at the 16v as it has better power to weight ratio but even then, I would rather have the G60 model.

toolie72

Bought a mk1 when I already had 205 (before bankcrupcy that is kids)

Did welding to it, fuel tank and filler replacement (no end of fuelling faults) electrics that would fail (fuse box/wiring loom).

Didn't turn in the same way-wasn't as much fun (in my opinion)And a pretty boring place to sit

Just didn't have the grin factor for me and I can't imagine a mk2 would be any more fun as they're heavier

Upshot-kept 205(21 years now) sold golf-never even considered another one

Gaz205

5k would put you in a steady mk5 gti which to be fair will be the first of the modern classic golfs to take off as years pass by. My money would be on a Clio trophy rather than this old 'tat'

ATK

5k would put you in a steady mk5 gti which to be fair will be the first of the modern classic golfs to take off as years pass by. My money would be on a Clio trophy rather than this old 'tat'

Already had a MKV R32 before my B7 RS4 so not really after the newer models. And already had a Clio 172 (ok not a Trophy but close). Not looking for something that is going to be the 'next classic' or an investment as I buy them to enjoy rather than to increase in value.

Although I was surprised that you can get a sub 120K MKV GTI for 4 k these days - alot of car for the money!

Gaz205

Already had a MKV R32 before my B7 RS4 so not really after the newer models. And already had a Clio 172 (ok not a Trophy but close). Not looking for something that is going to be the 'next classic' or an investment as I buy them to enjoy rather than to increase in value.

Although I was surprised that you can get a sub 120K MKV GTI for 4 k these days - alot of car for the money!

Hmm with that in mind, there are a few 20v mk2's out there, it might be a fair assumption that if they've had the money thrown on the conversions they are a solid ish car too?

barneys66

You'd get a very good Mk1 GTI cabriolet for your budget..! :ph34r:

2-Pugs

Twenty-odd years ago my best mate was a dyed-in-the-wool golf-man, and had a string of to be fair, nice ones, including a Mk2 8v, mk2 16v, and a mk1 cabrio. Only problem I ever remember him having with his was the electric cooling fan which seized up or something. Something mechanical anyway. Anyway I'd got into 205s and have had them since, though I did have a Mk2 8V GTI for a few months in 2000, I bought it as a stop-gap from the local auctions when someone rear-ended my 205 and I just needed something quickly.

I do remember it was a bit smoky - valve stem seals I suspect, but other than that, in the time I owned it, it was capable and solid, if slightly bland, compared to the 205.

The other thing I remember about the K-jet fuel injection system, which I think the Mk2 had, is that there is some kind of mixture adjustment screw, whereby it is possible to inadvertently damage or bend something inside when you are adjusting it.

Wez_89

I had a mk1 golf with a ABF, K-jet fuel system(s*ite), built it to drive not stance like all the dub scene, I was told when I brought it they were the best thing since slice bread!, they're like steering a boat and mk2s ain't much better they're heavier, chassis better but still crap, save your money and get something you'll enjoy driving, I regretted buying mine

Leon

I've owned one (an 8v Digi that was as flat as a pancake) and drove my girlfriends older 8v K-Jet for years. The K-Jet was significantly better, felt very punch/grunty, especially at low/mid range. Gearchange feels awful, pedals and wheel are a bit offset, interior is boring as hell and it feels very high sided and slow to turn compared to a 205. Steering is a bit rubbery too, I found the Mk1 the same. Overall, if you are looking for excitement and you are coming from a 205 then you are probably going to be disappointed.

Definitely felt gruntier than a 1.6, though not as "alive" and the whole car feels quite solid.

I liked it, it was a good car.