Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help With 106 1.6 Auto

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

steve@cornwall

steve@cornwall
  • Veterans
  • 3,697 posts
  • Name:Steve !
I wonder if anyone can help here.An elderly friend of my mother, who is very community minded and run errands for the elderly has a problem with her ageing 106 auto. Apparently it is fine if put into reverse but won't go forward.

Her local garage (ex Peugeot dealer) has diagnosed that it needs a new gearbox but is finding it difficult to source one. (It's a Renault box apparently) but from what I can tell it's a complicated piece of kit with selector valves, leaky oil coolers and an ECU which may well require a dealer reset even once the box is replaced.

Cost of replacing with unproven second hand box? £700 .

This lady is herself 86! and if we can't fix this auto box (no manual licence) her driving days are over. She has been immensely helpful to my elderly mum so if there is a way of getting this sorted I would love to do my bit.

So any knowledge, hints and tips greatfully accepted and if anyone has an old 106 auto tucked away unloved let me know.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
I'd check the oil level first. Auto boxes generally are quite sensitive to oil level. Mind you, you'd hope the dealer has checked that before diagnosing a new box.

toolie72

toolie72
  • Drivers
  • 425 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage
Colour and smell of fluid-if it stinks and it's brown there may be a bad clutch band
Sometimes fluid change can persuade them to last a bit longer but if fluid is bad it's 50/50
Too many burnouts?

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 452 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage
More economical to replace the car - 300ish if what's been sold on eBay is anything to go by..

Here's one at 390 from a dealer, for example. No doubt some wiggle room too;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182429388335