• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dejbjaerg

Head Gasket On A Xu7Jp

Dejbjaerg

Hello

I was hoping to find some in here with a great knowledge about the XU engine (should be the right place I've come :)).

I have a 306 Cabriolet from 1998 with a XU7JP engine (1.8 8v 101 HP). Yes the car is from 1998, and yes it came with that engine from factory. I've had a thew who didn't believe me :lol:.

Right now the car is in winter storage and have been since November. Last week I moved it so a car behind it could come out. It fired right up like it had run the day before, and the engine sounded just as healthy as the day is was parked there last year.

I let the car idle for about 30 minutes before it was put back. I noticed some steam coming out from under the hood when I drove the car in again, and after a quick inspection I'm 99 % sure that the head gasket have started to disintegrate. Water is leaking out between the block and the head, and it seems that it's all the way across the engine (at least where I could see). There was no smoke, no oil in the water, water in the oil or hard cooling lines.

It didn't bother me that much, I've done maybe 10 head gaskets on TU engines and I'm not really scared of the procedure.

I ordered a new gasket, head bolts and some other small things I would imagine is worn. But after reading a bit about the XU engine, I discovered that there are different kind of head bolts. The car right now have inside torx head bolts. I have ordered head bolts with a outside torx head. I didn't notice untill after I made the purchase that there was a difference. Other than the head of the bolt, they are exactly the same.

Can I use my ordered bolts, or do I have to get a new set? I read that if you use bolts with a normal six-sided head for a car that originally had torx bolts, you could strip the threads in the block.

And are there anything else I should be worried about when removing and reinstalling the head? :)

post-28730-0-50154500-1491287127_thumb.jpg

post-28730-0-28640600-1491287128_thumb.jpg

post-28730-0-00515800-1491287129_thumb.jpg

welshpug

I don't recall ever seeing male headed bolts for an aluminium 8v xu, so I would check the packaging to confirm that they are M11, not the M12 that the Iron block engine used and does have male torx heads in use on later engines.

The engine is very similar to the later xu5 and xu9, just with a quite mild camshaft, much more advanced engine management and a catalytic converter.

Edited by welshpug

Dejbjaerg

I don't recall ever seeing male headed bolts for an aluminium 8v xu, so I would check the packaging to confirm that they are M11, not the M12 that the Iron block engine used and does have male torx heads in use on later engines.

The engine is very similar to the later xu5 and xu9, just with a quite mild camshaft, much more advanced engine management and a catalytic converter.

Okay, I took a second look and think I need to purchase a new set :(

Both sets are from Ering. I've bought 758.290, but I should have bought 758.280. Besides the head of the bolt, the lengths are different. Could it be that the bolts I purchased is for a TU engine? That would suck :(

EDIT: The TU bolts seems to be M10x1.5. I wonder what the bolts I ordered are for then. I don't think I'll use them if the XU is known for thread stripping. Those 7 mm of thread on the correct bolts may make the difference between a succes and a failure..

EDIT again: I think my new bolts are for the 16 v version. The parts finder came up with the wrong bolts because my car is from 1998, and Peugeot apparently only made the 8v version untill 1997. However, my car IS build with this 8v version, perhaps a special production for the Nordic countries or something. I don't know. But I will have to purchase a new set of bolts.. Just glad I discovered it now and not after I pulled a thread or something! :unsure:

post-28730-0-70305300-1491290279.png

post-28730-0-06121900-1491290280.png

Edited by Dejbjaerg