• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

Constant Pulling To The Left

Bakes100

Hi Guys, Im new to the forum and sorry if this question may have been asked before!

I have recently brought a 205 gti6 and the problem I am having is that the car is pulling to the left constantly, under acceleration, braking and constant speed. I found alot of topics on the forum where people had knackered wishbones or trackrod ends causing this but mine are all new with polybushed wishbones bushes and new hubs/ bearings etc.

The two things that I thought may be causing this are:

1. A problem with the steering rack?, it has the 6 speed gearbox and I was wondering if someone may have bodged the stop on the steering causing it to do this??

2. Maybe the rear mounts causing it to wander off course, due to them being worn and the beam not sitting square??

I used to have a 306 but am new to the 205's so any advice would be appreciated

j_turnell

First thing i'd do is get your tracking checked.

Tom Fenton

I'd also check the condition of the rear beam.

C_W

Tracking in my experience will never exhibit pulling to one side or the other since it will just centre itslef on driving and either both toe out or toe in (and you can set up tracking to either of these).

Obvisouly check tyre pressures, but I'd ry swapping your front wheels over and take a test drive. Other than that it might be geometry related; has it got adjustable top mounts or anything?

Guest MattyC

Does the car have power steering?

if your used to a 306 and the 205 has no power steering maybe its the difference in feel there?

Roads usually camber off at the sides; so you may just be feeling this, try driving down the middle, does that change how it feels?

otherwise if the car has history of a smash at some stage she could be a little shorter on one side!.

sutol

You will have checked the tyre pressures I pressume so try swapping the fronts with the rears because sometimes you can get a tyre that is less than perfect and it will feel odd.

Bakes100

The tracking was set parellel when i changed the wishbones, and it has 4 new tyres all set to 29psi.

I have tried it on all types of road and it does it on all, i have had a thorough look all over the car and there is no evidence of crash damage.

Also MattyC it has got power steering, i was wondering if maybe it self centres off centre?? if that makes sence.

Do knackered rear beam mounts have this effect??

Cheers

CaptainK
Also MattyC it has got power steering, i was wondering if maybe it self centres off centre?? if that makes sence.

I think I have this problem on my FTO with power steering. Its been checked for mechnical fault on the wheels, the tracking and alignment is spot on and the wheels are all balanced etc.

BUT, I notice that when driving in a straight line I have to hold the steering wheel straight. Steering wheel at 12 o clock is indeed straight driving for me. BUT, release the steering wheel and it instantly turns to about 11:30 o clock - like when you're going round a corner and let go of the steering wheel and it recentres itself. This obviously has the bad effect of making me turn to the left slightly.

mat1227

Yep I've noticed this on my Alfa. Be interested to know people's thoughts/experiences.

Has anyone had this and fixed it?

CaptainK
Has anyone had this and fixed it?

I'm slowly in the process of this, eliminating things as I go:

* Not tyre pressure

* Not wheels or tyres - swapped them all around

* Not alignment or tracking

* Not brake pads / calipers seizing / rubbing (replaced brakes etc)

* Not anything mechnically wrong with the suspension and shafts - been checked over by a garage.

Only thing I can thing of is the centering of the power steering, or an air lock in the power steering fluid or something wrong with my steering rack. :angry:

steve@cornwall

I'd go with tracking, especially if you have 1.9 alloys on 1.6 hubs - I find it almost impossible to get the tracking set correctly locally, even with having had it done on 4 wheel allignment. Brake binding on n/s? Were the wishbone bolts tightened with the weight of the car on the wheels? Ididn't know about this when changing mine and ended up with it lop-sided when parked on the flat.- not ideal for geometry

Sign in to follow this