• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

stuRALLYE

Emerald Start Up

stuRALLYE

Hi everyone,

I've finally got my car to a stage where id like to see it starting after 3 years off. I've got a standard xsara vts engine with jenvey 45s and an emerald k3.

I've been trying to get the car running tonight and I would appreciate some advice! The ECU is powered up and when cranking the light goes (and stays) green. I have set the crank settings to 60-2 and I have a couple of maps ive been trying, one from emerald and one which was already loaded onto the ECU when i bought it (standard xu10j4rs with jenvey 45s). I have also set the tps threshold.

The injection is set to sequential, is this wrong? I've had no luck getting it to fire so far and now the starter motor has died which isn't ideal!

can anyone tell me the basic setting that need to be seen for this engine to give it a chance of running? I am using a coil from a tu engined 106. Are 1&4 closest to the wiring plug and 2&3 at the rear?

sorry for all the questions and the general rambling, im just very impatient to see something happen after so long.

cheers

stu

welshpug

needs to be batch fire, check trigger angle, should be 114-117 iirc.

stuRALLYE

I've got another starter motor and I'm ready to try again. I have spark from the plugs when tested but I'm only seeing fuel being injected on number 2 cylinder!! I've got 12v at both pins to the injectors and the ECU should provide an earth to fire them but I assume this is only happening on no 2.

I've set my injection output to grouped and my crankshaft reference position to 117btdc.

Please tell me I'm missing something very obvious!

welshpug

if youre only seeing fuel from one injector check you have 12v to one pin of each injector plug, ecu pulls to earth to trigger.

check from pin to earth not across the two pins.

stuRALLYE

Yeah I've checked and they are all seeing 12v. It's now starting and running on 3 cylinders on the map supplied by emerald but something is still amis!

welshpug

try swapping injector plugs around, also check the spark plugs, if its on a base map they can foul up easily.

have the injectors been tested?

stuRALLYE

On closer inspection I think it's only running on two. Numbers 2 and 3. The plugs come out dry from 1 and 4 but 2&3 are wet with fuel.

The injectors were working well in the xsara the engine came from.

Is it possible that only one injector driver has been wired up correctly? I had the look made professionally so I'm pretty sure it will be correct

welshpug

if 2&3 are wet then i dont think you have spark on that side of the coil.

stuRALLYE

Thanks for the help here welshpug, appreciated. I've just taken the fuel rail and injectors out and turned it over and I'm only getting fuel from 2 and 3. The plugs are all sparking when tested out of the cylinder head

welshpug

check the woring back to the ecu time, not sure on the pinout of a k3 but its usually paired.

welshpug

manual says 23 & 24 are injector drivers 2 & 1

stuRALLYE

Yeah just checked that and the wiring all checks out ok. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong with the map side of things. I could do with a chat with emerald but they will be shut until Monday now

stuRALLYE

Well it turns out 2 of the injectors are shagged. Swapped them around on the rail and the fault moves with them. Off to the wanted section for me again then!

petert

Just buy new ones off ebay. 2nd hand injectors are a false economy.

stuRALLYE

Yeah that's what I've gone for. Should arrive on Thursday so fingers crossed it will finally run!

welshpug

Just buy new ones off ebay. 2nd hand injectors are a false economy.

unless its chinese knockoffs, in which case youre better with used serviced genuine items.

welshpug

400 vs 50.

thats my point

petert

What's 400 and what's 50?

welshpug

your massive overkill bosch greens which wont fit his inlet & fuel rail would be £400 delviered to the UK, a set of cleaned Clio injectors are direct fir pico type would set him back around £50.

Edited by welshpug

petert

Whether they fit his fuel rail or not isn't the point. They are just typical of the new cost of a std height Bosch injector, which incidentally fit an Mi16 or GTi6 rail. Last time I had injectors cleaned, baskets replaced, flow tested and new o-rings fitted they were $25 each cash. Add that to the price of sourcing an unknown 2nd hand injector and you're at $50 each total. At $62 each, I'd buy new ones. I'm sure there are sellers on eBay.co.uk offering similar prices.

petert

And 440cc is correct for a 250hp 4cyl running on E85.

welshpug

its a stock XU10J4RS on jenveys and we don't have E85 :lol:

petert

Shame, E85 is such a great fuel making hp. Cheap as chips too. Our V8 Supercars series has been using it for a few years now.