• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[project] 205 Mi32 Project - The Twin Mi16 Engined 205

jackherer
drsarty> lol, are you serious about cutting up? :)

You were probably on your bike :huh:

Nice project, cant wait to see this come together :)

Kev-G

In my head, that's how I had planned it :)

How are you going to resolve the castor for the rear struts? Swap the rear wishbones left to right?

It should all fit under the std. arches (or maybe the slightly extended arches which JERAM and smckeown have) rather that going for a wide-ass kit?

Guest Pugw0t

Whats your plans for the beast? Track car, Drag, day to day monster etc

Batfink

it would be good to see this hoon round a track though i think the twin engined cars are compromised by their weight in that respect. Certainly ones from the past seem to have been.

Great project :)

Will you be running both exhausts systems out the back?

TEKNOPUG

Looking forward to seeing how you get the gear linkages to work.

tom_m
Will you be running both exhausts systems out the back?

if you look closly at the photochopped mock up underside (the first pic in the second post) he's got both exhausts side exiting just forward of the rear wheels, one side for each engine. I'm liking the style :)

jackherer
if you look closly at the photochopped mock up underside (the first pic in the second post) he's got both exhausts side exiting just forward of the rear wheels, one side for each engine. I'm liking the style :)

It doesnt show how the rear one will connect up though, that could be an issue. Maybe the downpipe could go between the flywheel and sump TU style?

DrSarty

Cybrnck - I 'worked' in Bosnia, based at 'the metal factory', was joking about being cut up and would've been in a really big green vehicle.

Keep up the good work and rather you than me working underneath that precariously balanced on bricks monster! :D

Dr (one engined Mi) S :(

cybernck

Kev-G> errm... didn't think about camber at all really.

will it be a big issue with the wheels not rotating though?

Pugw0t> as it says in the intro... drag, but road-driveable too :(.

TEKNOPUG> hehe yeah, that will be the most interesting (and brain-challenging) job :D.

DrSarty> ah ok, you're not the first one i "met". Al from PPC Mag has also been there

and someone from 306GTI6 forum too :D.

maxi

JESUS!

Keep us updated boss, good luck with it all and Graham is right, you did keep this one quiet!

Maxi

cybernck

ok people, here's an update :(.

previously we've seen the 205 developing a hole in the boot:

205Mi32_Ph1_045.thumb.jpg

in this episode the hole gets transformed into suspension turrets and we have a guest star appearance too (me :D).

205Mi32_Ph1_064.thumb.jpg

61 new pic, so take a look and let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

DrSarty

Again...great, busy, inventive, committed work. What effort and progress! Fascinating pics too.

Incidently, from a pure physics point of view (not wanting to ruin any Trekkies' ideas of intergalactic space travel), the argument that light speed is not possible is proved here.

Why?....because if FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION (F=MA), then it's easy to see that to accelerate, and accelerate etc to get to ludicrous speeds, then the FORCE (you could read in this case as 'torque') required is constantly being battled by the MASS (weight of vehicle) which is ever increasing by adding another engine, the chassis, the fuel, the strengthening etc etc to support it, not to mention the inefficiencies of the (read: two) internal combustion engines (heat & noise etc) which being driven faster and faster create even more wind resistance which ALL combine to counteract the proportional gain in power you have to keep adding to seek truly stupid speeds and eventually - although never quite getting there because the last power gain step recquired is immeasurably massive - warp factor WTF.

In short, (unfortunately), 320bhp (2 x std Mi) cannot equal 280+mph AND is unlikely to achieve a 0-60 time of 3 seconds (again unfortunately). HOWEVER, this will be monstrously quick based on a massive power to weight ratio which will (I'm guessing here) be largely equivalent to a true top end supercar or kit car such as a westfield SE8 type beastie etc.

I expect it will excel where CN says he's aimed it, i.e. draggin' with a 1/4 miler of.......hmmmm bets anyone 10.5secs, poss. less?

I'm not entirely sure I know why I typed this - seemed like an interesting thing to say.

Dr(Boring)S :(

Edited by DrSarty

tom_m

now thats what i call progress! you'll be done by the end of next week at this rate!!! :(

RobMGti

Wow, missed this in the last day. Stunned to say the least Nik...

Best of luck, im sure its going to be a beast putting it politley!

Clarre

Good work so far.

I've only have one wondering?

How do you solve the gear linkage?

It's a interesting project IMO.

cybernck

DrSarty> we're building the car for acceleration, not top speed. we're going to use standard 1.9 gearboxes

for now, so top speed will pretty much be the same as 205 Mi16's with the same gearbox :D. it's just getting

there that will be a lot faster :D. also, the drag coefficient will stay the same, so no changes there.

as you said, it all comes down to power-to-weight ratio (well, until we start talking very high speeds) but this

car will also pull quicker 0-60mph, 0-100mph and 1/4mile runs than a FWD 205 of the same power-to-weight

ratio, due to having 4 wheel drive.

i think you're overestimating the abilities though, as the weight will not be 1000 kg's like you probably think

it will. since it weighed 930 kg with Mi16 engine, full roll cage and half-stripped interior, after adding up

weights of things we're adding in/on the car, i estimate it to weigh 1150-1200 kg in ready-to-drive trim.

we'll be happy with low 13's 1/4mile (including reaction time) and low 5's 0-60 mph. everything under

those values is a bonus B).

tom_m> don't forget the story's running late behind the actual work done and i'm showing progress of

several days worth in each update. so far, what you can see took 10 days (from transporting the front

engine bay to taking those pics) of internsive, (nearly) every day work.

Clarre> as i said to teknopug, that will be the most interesting (and brain-challenging) part of the job :lol:

thanks for the comments, keep them coming! :(

chunkymonkey

fantastic work nic im just trying to see where your fitting the parachutes to stop the beast!! on a more serious note i hope the build goes well for you

cheers gaz

de Noir

Oh NO! :(

This is ultimate hardcore. Who is going to read my project progress any more, after this?? :D:D

tom_m
Kev-G> errm... didn't think about camber at all really.

will it be a big issue with the wheels not rotating though?

I don't know the issues, but i'm guessing its something like the front setup having too much caster for being at the rear [bump steer?]), but a set of coilovers with eccentric topmounts might to be able to correct it or at least lessen it

the answer might be somewhere in here: Honda Tech Mid Rear conversion thread, only thing is its at 120 pages and counting :P

tom_m> don't forget the story's running late behind the actual work done and i'm showing progress of

several days worth in each update. so far, what you can see took 10 days (from transporting the front

engine bay to taking those pics) of internsive, (nearly) every day work.

ahh ok, even so mate, its still phenominal progress, next you'll be telling us its built and you've been driving it for a month :) keep up the good work :D

veloce200

ok I'll break with the mould. twin engine is dangerous and a whole heap of work for not much gain :)

i'd have gone for a space framed, fibreglass paneled Hayabusa turbo mid engine ...

Martin@PRD
not sure whether that is a reply to my post? If so please elaborate!

Not at all fella, cybernck will understand where im coming from......

.........15 years ago the MI16 conversion was a only a dream......

Martin@PRD

I have just spent 5 hours on my project, as I'm becoming jelous that this will be the first twin engine 205 to hit the road......

cybernck

haha well don't be jealous... afterall, your's is a hell-of-a-lot bigger project!