• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

davenport

top mount bearings needed bushes...

Photo221.jpg

done!

in stainless too so i aint got to worry about corrosion/plating

once my mate Spanky has machined down the narrow bit (12mm) at the top of my dampers (my lathe isn`t big enough to get the dampers in) so theres enough room for these AND the gaz spring top caps AND a nyloc to tighten the whole assembly up i can start building the front struts up...

grandos

I have to say that this is an awesome project just wish I was capable of half the stuff you've carried out. Top work.

By the way love the 'flying' wings in the previous post in your garage roof!!

davenport

thanks for the comments... its nice to finally put what skills i`ve learnt through work into something a bit more personal..

as for the roof joists!! a major untapped storage area!! theres also a front and rear bumper and a set of nova GTE side skirts up there with the aid of rope/tape/lockwire and cableties....

davenport

another day... another job

nothing to extravagant i`m affraid s i`m currently suffering with a poxy ear infection.. however stuff aint gonna do itself so..

a bit of disc cutting.. a bit of pattern making and finally a bit of MIG blobbing...

286.jpg

hey presto 1 heater inlet in the scuttle blanked off and watertight

johny105_y2k

this is one killer thread, will be following from now on.

wish i had the space/knowledge/tools/patience.

i bet you could of filled my garage with the disgarded jigs that you've made.

top work keep it up .

johny

davenport

front dampers..

12mm diameter section too short for my topmounts.... BOOOOoooooooooo

292.jpg

spanky in full handle-cranking-swarf-flicking flow... WOOOOooooop

293.jpg

top mounts fitted... HUUUUUUUUUUrahhhhh

291.jpg

davenport

despite a long weekend not much actually got done...

the turret tops i fitted a while back have been welded underneath for extra strength

a couple of holes in the floorpan that were used to secure the old battery box were welded up and ground off...

and i managed to get 1 side of the front gussets fully welded up and the other side tacked in place...

Photo231.jpg

quite happy with how they come down real low and also tie in with the bar that runs to the turrets

then spent a LOT of time trying to get a ceratin MK2 golf (belongs to spanky the machinist) going.. then following it back to the workshop.. then trying to find a fuel pump....

dcc

Its a shame all this work is wasted on a 106!

good stuff though :)

davenport
Its a shame all this work is wasted on a 106!

good stuff though :)

how rude!! but thank you for appreciating the work....

davenport

FINALLY!!

started on the tank today...

295.jpg

doing the bolt on top plate tommorrow that`ll hold the fuel level guage feed+return fittings and also the filler cap and that bolts over the hole in the top of the tank...

EdCherry

Going for a bag tank?

davenport
Going for a bag tank?

HELLLLLLLL no....

ATL want the best part of 3 grand for 1 so its 3mm thick ally for me...

davenport

got busy with the ally and made myself a top plate for the tank.. (it still needs holes for breather/feed/return/fuel level guage.. but you get the idea)

Photo247.jpg

then sat down and thought..... hmmmm

the more i looked at the HOOOOFIN gurt M8 bolts in the top plate the more they pissed me off.. so...

made another with M6 fittings... made a nut ring to go inside the tank.. ordered a gasket from ATL.. baffles cut.. end plates cut... with a bit of luck the c**t will be done over the weekend...

297.jpg

davenport

i then decided seeing as i`d been welding sainless for the past 2 years i better see if i can still TIG ally...

Photo248.jpg

beads could be little closer but i was in a hurry...

for the geeks...

125amps... miller synchrowave 300... 4mm tungsten.. #7 shroud (i think).. torch BLOODY big!!.. gas flow - enough to tickle my ear!!

EdCherry

Are you going to put a splash guard around the filler? Might be worth your while. Looking good, will be great to see what its like when its in one piece!

davenport
Are you going to put a splash guard around the filler? Might be worth your while. Looking good, will be great to see what its like when its in one piece!

aye i think i will... i`ve seen a few 1 with a outlet and a tiny pipe for those really really big spills... might have to see what BIG chunks of ally are kicking about and machine a nice billet 1 up...

seeings as the exhaust is gonna run right under the tank i`ve also got a sheet of some wierd fibreglass matting stuff with foil on both sides.. its what we use at work to wrap lorry air and leccy lines when we fit aftermarket exhaust systems so will line the base of the box with that..

EdCherry

I know the heat stuff your on about. Why you going to make it out of billet? You can make a really simple splash bowl, I dowt you will spill that much, let me see if I can find a piccy for you.

davenport
I know the heat stuff your on about. Why you going to make it out of billet?

1- i`m a tart

2- i can

3- see #1

hahahaha was just thinking something simple like this...

falconfueltank.jpg

swordfish210

Some very imperssive work there, something for me to aspire to :D . I'm liking the work on the tank, i'm looking to build one for the 205 as a 3rd year Uni project.

davenport

good luck to ya mister fish...

i had toyed with the idea of having an internal collector like the pro-alloy ones do but after speaking to a few peeps on the ten-tenths forum it was suggsted having things easy to get at and easy to change/clean out/service was a better idea..

i`ll be using a facet red or blue top pump as lifter to feed the swirl pot and have jut got a bosch 044 high pressure beast to feed the fuel rail..

all fittings will be aeroquip type with -6 lines and -10 swirlpot to high pressure pump...

as well as the baffles in the tank i`m gonne fit tank foam as ot only does it help prevent surge its also a good safety feature...

if you need any dimensions for the std nut plates the ATL site is great.. they`re also a helpful bunch when you phone them..

welshpug

surely with a well designed baffled+foam filled tank you wont need a swirl pot?

davenport

quite possibly i could rely solely on the pump sucking stright out of the tank.. but the only tanks i`ve seen that can guarantee i wont need 1 have complicated internal collectors using either 1 way valves (as in the pro ally items) or a trap door arrangement (cant remember that brand now!)

Sam

This is looking brilliant. Wish I had your "mad skillz" ;):)

allanallen

finally managed to read through all of this. Your work looks absoloutley brilliant, a truely excellent looking car with some nice little touches and cunning soloutions (top mounts etc).

davenport

many thanks.. i cannot take credit for the top mounts.. well for execution YES i take full credit but the idea was copied from the norwegian chappy on here espen?? shiny racing?? i saw them first on his car and instantly knew it was the way to go...

works been a bit slow recently (mostly been doing stuff on mates cars.. a mk2 golf got a new exhaust system.. and a E36 328 lost its hideous viscous fan!

i did however manage a few things...

ignition barrel - with all the stalk controls going to toggle switches in the centre consol this was left poking out like a pubescent schoolboys cock when he watches the girls do volleyball!!

so....

299.jpg

298.jpg

another tweak was the lower spring platforms on the front struts...

until this rebuild i`d be running pug sport coilovers with there odd 90mm internal springs.. (i have gravel/tarmac and a custom wound low-n-pose set) however the custom wound units are expensive and the choice is useless compared to 65mm internal ones...

the top was easy i got some GAZ bits and wapped them on under my topmounts.. the bottoms however needed something more drastic..

Photo255.jpg

luckily the threaded section JUST allows clearance for 65mm internal springs so all i need to do is machine 4 cutouts for a C spanner and its ready to hve the legs mock built ( they`ll come apart again when the car gets sprayed.. ally bits - anodised,, struts - powder coated)