Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[project] 205 Mi32 Project - The Twin Mi16 Engined 205

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

boombang

boombang
  • Drivers
  • 2,345 posts
Like it!

One big question - how are you sorting the rear engine turning the wheels the right way?

inferno

inferno
  • Drivers
  • 1,504 posts
Quality start to a mental moter there! would be intrested more in how you plan on keeping the engines in sync, but as far as the engine bay in the boot, imo thats the only way a rear engine car should be built, i dont like the whole space frame setup,too much room for error for my liking!

Keep the piccys coming!

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage
I'll watch this one too - very impressed. Should be a b&stard of a fast motor!

Incidently, at a recent Pug owner curry night I suggested that, IF I won that whopping 100million Euromillions lottery thingy, then I would attempt to commission Prodrive and Noble to help create a twin (flat 8!) subaru STi engined Noble - that would/could be an awesome, mid-engined, 4x4 quad turbo 800bhp uber vehicle n'est pas?? Quite feasible too.

Good luck Cybernck - P.S. I spent 6 months in Banja Luka in 1999-2000, I think you cut me up once ;)

DrS :D

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
huxley> yeah i think a 309 would have been a better choice due to it's extra length.

jon> if you read the first post you'll see that it was a perfect shell for the project really.

and having had a front :P mi16 engine already installed, there was less work to do.

pugtorque> i think the lights might stay ph1 on this one (clear).

skeggyrik> well i didn't want to even have a remote chance of becoming one of those
who "talk the talk, but can't walk the walk". rather, i decided to actually start the job
and then start writing about it.

boombang> eh? the bay and engine are going in the "right way", not reversed :).

inferno> they get sync'd automatically, helping eachother. like when someone helps
you push your broken 205 - it gets easier and you've no objections, don't you? :)

drsarty> lol, are you serious about cutting up? :huh:

thanks for all the comments - updates coming in very soon!

Guest_pim_*

Guest_pim_*
  • Guests
verry nice project ill be following this:)

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,181 posts

drsarty> lol, are you serious about cutting up? :)

You were probably on your bike :huh:

Nice project, cant wait to see this come together :)

Kev-G

Kev-G
  • Drivers
  • 738 posts
In my head, that's how I had planned it :)

How are you going to resolve the castor for the rear struts? Swap the rear wishbones left to right?

It should all fit under the std. arches (or maybe the slightly extended arches which JERAM and smckeown have) rather that going for a wide-ass kit?

Guest_Pugw0t_*

Guest_Pugw0t_*
  • Guests
Whats your plans for the beast? Track car, Drag, day to day monster etc

Batfink

Batfink
  • Drivers
  • 4,802 posts
  • Name:Kev Self
it would be good to see this hoon round a track though i think the twin engined cars are compromised by their weight in that respect. Certainly ones from the past seem to have been.
Great project :)

Will you be running both exhausts systems out the back?

TEKNOPUG

TEKNOPUG
  • Drivers
  • 3,285 posts
Looking forward to seeing how you get the gear linkages to work.

tom_m

tom_m
  • Drivers
  • 3,428 posts
  • Name:.

Will you be running both exhausts systems out the back?

if you look closly at the photochopped mock up underside (the first pic in the second post) he's got both exhausts side exiting just forward of the rear wheels, one side for each engine. I'm liking the style :)

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,181 posts

if you look closly at the photochopped mock up underside (the first pic in the second post) he's got both exhausts side exiting just forward of the rear wheels, one side for each engine. I'm liking the style :)

It doesnt show how the rear one will connect up though, that could be an issue. Maybe the downpipe could go between the flywheel and sump TU style?

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
Garage View Garage
Cybrnck - I 'worked' in Bosnia, based at 'the metal factory', was joking about being cut up and would've been in a really big green vehicle.

Keep up the good work and rather you than me working underneath that precariously balanced on bricks monster! :D

Dr (one engined Mi) S :(

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
Kev-G> errm... didn't think about camber at all really.
will it be a big issue with the wheels not rotating though?

Pugw0t> as it says in the intro... drag, but road-driveable too :(.

TEKNOPUG> hehe yeah, that will be the most interesting (and brain-challenging) job :D.

DrSarty> ah ok, you're not the first one i "met". Al from PPC Mag has also been there
and someone from 306GTI6 forum too :D.

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage
JESUS!

Keep us updated boss, good luck with it all and Graham is right, you did keep this one quiet!

Maxi

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
Garage View Garage
ok people, here's an update :(.

previously we've seen the 205 developing a hole in the boot:

Posted Image

in this episode the hole gets transformed into suspension turrets and we have a guest star appearance too (me :D).

Posted Image

61 new pic, so take a look and let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
Garage View Garage
Again...great, busy, inventive, committed work. What effort and progress! Fascinating pics too.

Incidently, from a pure physics point of view (not wanting to ruin any Trekkies' ideas of intergalactic space travel), the argument that light speed is not possible is proved here.

Why?....because if FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION (F=MA), then it's easy to see that to accelerate, and accelerate etc to get to ludicrous speeds, then the FORCE (you could read in this case as 'torque') required is constantly being battled by the MASS (weight of vehicle) which is ever increasing by adding another engine, the chassis, the fuel, the strengthening etc etc to support it, not to mention the inefficiencies of the (read: two) internal combustion engines (heat & noise etc) which being driven faster and faster create even more wind resistance which ALL combine to counteract the proportional gain in power you have to keep adding to seek truly stupid speeds and eventually - although never quite getting there because the last power gain step recquired is immeasurably massive - warp factor WTF.

In short, (unfortunately), 320bhp (2 x std Mi) cannot equal 280+mph AND is unlikely to achieve a 0-60 time of 3 seconds (again unfortunately). HOWEVER, this will be monstrously quick based on a massive power to weight ratio which will (I'm guessing here) be largely equivalent to a true top end supercar or kit car such as a westfield SE8 type beastie etc.

I expect it will excel where CN says he's aimed it, i.e. draggin' with a 1/4 miler of.......hmmmm bets anyone 10.5secs, poss. less?

I'm not entirely sure I know why I typed this - seemed like an interesting thing to say.

Dr(Boring)S :(

Edited by DrSarty, 09 November 2006 - 09:00 PM.

tom_m

tom_m
  • Drivers
  • 3,428 posts
  • Name:.
now thats what i call progress! you'll be done by the end of next week at this rate!!! :(

RobMGti

RobMGti
  • Drivers
  • 573 posts
Wow, missed this in the last day. Stunned to say the least Nik...

Best of luck, im sure its going to be a beast putting it politley!

Clarre

Clarre
  • Drivers
  • 50 posts
Good work so far.
I've only have one wondering?
How do you solve the gear linkage?
It's a interesting project IMO.