• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Aluminium And Steel Fasteners

bren_1.3

i planned on replacing all the steel m6 bolts that hold the thermostat housing and the dizzy housing to aluminium anodised bolts.

i know that aluminium bolts arent meant for safety critical areas, i.e bottom ball joint pin! but are they ok to use on the engine side of things?

secondly, i know aluminium and steel corrode when in contact with each other. im assuming its a good option to replace all the non-critical steel fasteners on the engine with aluminium ones. having said that ive never had a problem with getting the steel fasteners out from an alloy blocked engine. be it TU or XU..

anyone have any comments or thoughts on the subject.

base-1

I wouldn't personally use ali on something like that, they're not strong and as a heated type area you might find that eventually, after a few heat cycles, it gives up and you s*it your water and thermostat out mid-stage, which would be a bit of a fail for saving 12 grams. Might be slightly overcautious there but you get my jist.

Things like plug covers, timing beacons, panels, dash, blah blah is the kind of thing I'd use them for. Light stuff mainly though inside, don't want more stuff hitting you in the face if you drop it!

mrswampy
I wouldn't personally use ali on something like that, they're not strong and as a heated type area you might find that eventually, after a few heat cycles, it gives up and you s*it your water and thermostat out mid-stage, which would be a bit of a fail for saving 12 grams. Might be slightly overcautious there but you get my jist.

Things like plug covers, timing beacons, panels, dash, blah blah is the kind of thing I'd use them for. Light stuff mainly though inside, don't want more stuff hitting you in the face if you drop it!

Seconded

id not use ali bolts full stop

bike fairings etc yes but not on a car

if weight saving is the game go for titanium ones,and it wont only be the car thats lighter

on a mates track bike we shaved off just over 1kg by replaceing the steel bolts with ti ones

if nice looking ones is what you want drop me a pm with your requirements,

bren_1.3

i do get the jist yes. thats a fair point. ive done the belt covers using the ali bolts, i suppose i might get away with the front wing bolts and thats about as far as it goes?

if nice looking ones is what you want drop me a pm with your requirements

mrswampy just to confirm we are talking about aluminium bolts not titanium?

if weight saving is the game go for titanium ones,and it wont only be the car thats lighter

ive only really looked on ebay for titanium bolts but they seem to be very expensive. Five m8 x 50mm bolts are nigh on 20 pounds.

are they available cheaper elsewhere?

mrswampy

No even me buying them wholesale doesnt make them much cheaper

and there just isnt the interestd in them for it to be viable for me to invest in them at wholsale qtys

Sign in to follow this