• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dobins

Mi16 Conversion Track Car

Guest Dobins

Right guys really fancy going down the mi16 route, what is needed to make it reliable on the track as ive heard alot about oil surges and dont want to be blowing engines all the time. I will prob fully rebuild the mi16 before i fit it. How difficult and much work is involved in the conversion and what sort of bhp can you expect with a few mods, also will the 1.6 box be ok with an lsd

cheers

nick

All the answers to your questions are just a search away.....

There is a guide to the conversion on the main site (the conversion is as easy or hard as you make it, depends on how conversant you are with 205's)

1.6 box should be fine with an LSD if the box is in good nick to start with.

Nick

Saveit
All the answers to your questions are just a search away.....

There is a guide to the conversion on the main site (the conversion is as easy or hard as you make it, depends on how conversant you are with 205's)

1.6 box should be fine with an LSD if the box is in good nick to start with.

Nick

Yeah the answer is just a search away. But if you can take your time to write that, then why dont you just answer his question, or atleast point him in the right direction. I think using the "do a search" sentence every time a new post is made is both arrogant and irritating :( At some point there will be so many threads about each subject that, if we were to do it your way, we should tell almost everybody to just do a search. But sometimes you only get half an answer by reading others post. No one forces you to answer his question, so if you are tired of people asking the same questions, then feel free to stop answering those. And Nick - it is nothing personal, just my opinion :o And it is not only you i am referring to regarding this ;)

Back to the question... Actually Nick just may have figured out a solution to the oil problem regarding the mi16. Until more people have tested this, we cannot be not sure if it is a definite solution. But if you plan on rebuilding you engine anyway, then change the crank to a crank from an 8v, and get the 8v rods machined so they fit the mi16 pistons. By using 8v crank and 8v rods, Nick didnt get the same drops in oilpressure as he used to. Using this together with a baffled sump is probably the solution to the oil problems. With the oil problem fixed you should be ready to use the mi16 on the track.

As regards to the conversion, you need to either move the radiator or shorten the mi16 intake manifold to get it to fit. Then you have to do some smaller changes to your exhaust to get it to fit the mi16 manifold. Last problem to solve is the electrics. Here you have to options; either use the existing wiring with the 8v distributor, an adaptor (you can make you own if you want to - contact me if so) and a delimited ecu. Or you can use the mi16 wiring by replacing most of the 8v wiring with it. Using the 8v distributor is definitly the easiest, and it works just fine. But many people in here recommends using the mi16 wiring if you know how to install this, since this should be more reliable. Mine works fine with the 8v distributor though, and i am running about 200 bhp on my mi16 engine.

Hope you can use it.

Edited by Saveit

nick

Not taken personally, but the reason to do a search first then ask later is that if every thread is answered with the same thing when people do a search there are hundreds of threads with all the same answers to trawl through making searching even more difficult...... There isn't a single part of the Mi conversion that hasn't been covered a million times on the forum, also someone has taken a lot of time and effort to write a complete conversion guide on the main site, do you not thing it is a bit lazy and disrespectful to not at least browse through that first and then ask questions on any points that aren't clear?

Nick

Saveit

I fully agree nick. I see what you are saying. But i just think that many people answers every new question with "do a search". I have gotten this answer once or twice myself, but believe me, i have searched everything through. There are so many great threads in here, that you should definitly take the time to look some of the through. But sometimes it doesnt completely answer your question.

An yes, he should definitly read the conversion guide on the main site.

And Happy new year by the way :o

nick

The point is that this isn't a "new" question.... this is one of the oldest questions on this forum. To "completely" answer his question would be to write out a guide to doing the conversion.... there is already one of those... plus there is a thread on oil surge running at the moment on the same page as this thread...!!

I wasn't being unhelpful, I was helping someone new to the forum to find the answers to all his questions in the proper mannner.

Nick

Guest Dobins

Sorry to cause a row but if you look at the question its how to make it reliable, nick i did read yours and crf450's post but as your the only person to do this and havent put it on the track yet i thought i would get another opinion as there are a few members who say they have never experienced surge on the track in the mi16.

Batfink

the point is not to ask the question or not but when to ask the question....

Learn all you can, then discuss the subject with either new knowledge or new confusion rather than asking the generic question with no understanding at all.

sorry - im trying to improve my intellect with big words and philosophic insights

nick

As Batfink says really.

Dobins, it's not really caused a row, it is just that the question was a bit broad to be answered without going into great detail (which as mentioned, has been done time and time again) have a good look round in the search function and if there is anything you don't fully understand, don't hesitate to ask.

Nick

Sign in to follow this