• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnie205

Gti-6 Conversion Alternator Bracket And Tensioning

jonnie205

Currently undertaking a gti6 conversion. I have done a few of these before but they have run pas so have used a 306 rallye setup as we did not need AC. The car i am converting is a non pas car. I have removed the pas pump from the engine whcih has left some unsightly mounting brackets and no way of tensioning the aux belt as this was previoulsy done by a sprung loaded tensioner when running AC, PAS, ALT etc.

The question is: is there a xu iron block engine that has no ps or AC from which i can rob the alternator mounting bracket and have some way of tensioning the belt? I have seen some people make there own alt tensioning bracket and saw pas pump brackets off but there must be an iron block engine which alraey has a propper setup (306, 406, ZX, 405 etc)?

many thanks

smighall

Not really help to your question, but i'm very interested in the answer should anybody know it.

As you said above, i just made up a bracket so i could tension the belt the same way as you would with a 205 w/o PAS and AC

jonnie205

i think it could be s16. just seen a pic and there is no pas pump on top and there is s belt tensioner stay but maybe the ps pump sits below alternator?

B1ack_Mi16
i think it could be s16. just seen a pic and there is no pas pump on top and there is s belt tensioner stay but maybe the ps pump sits below alternator?

Get a complete top mount from S16, 405 Mi16 2.0, 405 T16, 306 XSi 16v.. maybe some citroens got it too.

And get an alternator bracket from a 2.1 TD engine.

mbayley77

I used a standard 8V bracket on mine and bought the correct length belt. The only mod i had to make was to lengthen the slot in the 8v Bracket by approx 5mm iirc.

I can post a pic later when i get home.

jochem

I also adapted an 8v bracket to tilt the altenator. Its connected to the lump just above where the top altenator bolt used to be. Works fine and i didnt have to buy any materials.

jonnie205

Would one of you guys post up a pic? did you cut down the brackets that used to mount the pas pump?

mbayley77

I can post a pic this evening. didnt have to change anything to the mounts themselves no. really is straight forward when you see it.

jochem

I did it with the lump in the car, but will saw of the pas support later on.

mbayley77

Here is the link that shows what i have done. Cant remember the length of belt now but the code is PK*** - where the 3 stars denote the length. I am sure its like 500 odd but any belt supplier will be able to give you the options and if you measure it with a bit of string first youll not be far out as thats what i done. the next belt is completely too long so its obvious.

DSCF1598.jpg

Actually looking at the belt in the photo I think it reads 720 : so PK 720

Edited by mbayley77

Sam

Very handy to know, anyone got any spare 8v brackets?

mbayley77

Ok so now its my turn!!!

I am putting power steering onto my car so am now after a pic to show how it should be set up by using original gti6 tensioners etc. Am ideally after a pic of the tensioner and belt routing etc, but NO air conditioning.

Thanks

inferno

my turbo xu10 had the xantia 16v non aircon braket and mount. this had a roller tensioner underneath the bottom run of the belt, and it pushes up as you tighten an allen head bolt to tension it. iirc similar can be found on basic 1.8/2litre 306s? i think the pas models use the same tensioner too but the braket is in two peices so you can mix and match, as i did on the engine i used with cast iron mount.

mbayley77

Do you have any pics? And does the pas pump sit on top of the engine or down under the alternator on yours? Thanks

jonnie205

mbayley that mount you ahve used to tilt your alternator is actually an mi16 one.

What belt is that you have used there?

mbayley77

Ah yes it is now you mention it. sorry.

Belt I have was bought from a belt supplier in exeter. Code PK 720 i believe. Any belt supplier should be able to supply or ill get you one from exeter if needed and send it on if you need me too as they are just around the corner from my work.

jonnie205

Cheers, do you know what model its from?

pugpete1108

saw this post the other day and over the weekend set about stripping my gti6 engine down and just thought i would check to see if the alt would fit as in your picture , but it doesn't .

the lower mountings on the alt are too close to fit on the mountings on the engine.hmmmm??

is that a standard gti6 bracket on there? and what alt is it , i got a 1.9 one but i'm guessing they are all the same?

take a look you can see that on the left the bracket just wont fit .

alt2.jpg

any ideas or am i just being thick :)

jonnie205

you will need a gti6 alternator not the 8v one

pugpete1108
you will need a gti6 alternator not the 8v one

ah i see that would be why then ;) .

will any 16v alternator fit? or must it be gti6?

obviously still using the 8v tensioner for the top

Edited by pugpete1108

jonnie205

I would imagine a 406 petrol alternator will fit but you will ahve to go to the scrappy and have a look or look in the euro car parts catalogue at the part numbers etc

whizzer71

Hi Guys,I used Engine mount and alt bracket from Zx16v along with Zx Alternator and bracket,tou have to trim air con compressor mounting lugs off the sump to get the bracket to fit but thats no hardship.

I then Got a Pk700 belt from local factors and bingo it all fitted fine so theres another angle at sorting another common problem .

Cheers

Tris

:(

Sign in to follow this