• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peter

[engine_work] Budget 16V Turbo In Laser Green

davey sprocket

Falling to bits? What happened?

See pistons on page one!

Good project Peter, you've certainly got stuck in. Keep the updates coming, there's room on this forum for different approaches :-)

• Like 1

peter

Wracing, that would be nice, but re-flashing the EPROM each time and the difficulty of it, I think would take far too long.

Unfortunately the car has developed a fuelling problem, it was working %100 but now when it comes on boost (.5bar) it runs massively lean. 22.4-1 Afr (off the wideband scale)

I'm thinking map sensor, as there isn't much else that controls fuelling.

What do people think to a data ecu?

wracing

use something like tuner pro you will have to create your own definition file but you will be able to change what you need to quite easy.

If you can change the rev limit and things you already know how to edit the checksum and things like that so full mapping isn't much further away :)

James

• Like 1

peter

i havent changed the rpm limit,

when i said id bodged it i meant the fueling and MAP sensor (that i think is now broken)

i have tuner pro, and some 'MAPS' not for this ecu tho, for an s50b30 (m3)

i have very little time at the minute working 7days a week :( however i would like to do it that way!

it now ocasionally runs lean for no reason at all, at idle or light load. but always lean when it comes on boost :angry:

i need to sort this problem out then play with the ecu

GLPoomobile

Peter, don't interpret this as me being smug or trying to start an argument etc. I don't have a problem with you, and admire what you are doing here. But you've got to see the funny side in this - it was less than a week ago that you were saying that aftermarket ECUs and "proper" tuning was too expensive and pretty much pointless on a car like this. Literally days later you were talking about upgrading to a DTA or something (correct me if I'm wrong), and now you've got fuelling issues.

Fair play to you for trying to do a build like this in a budget fashion, but you wouldn't be the first, and certainly won't be the last, to realise that sometimes there aren't any shortcuts and that sometimes doing things cheap means doing it twice!

• Like 2

peter

The map sensor came loose, sorted now, it out accelerates a 330ci like its standing still. Im gessing its about 240hp thats cost less than £400

With proper mapping for an extra 40hp i do think it would be worth it, This is a 16v not an 8v The 8v would gain very little.

tbh i want the holset on and it 450hp and im well aware the standard ecu wont cope with that too easily

i dont understand your logic, if the car was working perfectly then it suddenly doesnt what makes youy think it would be the map?! :blink:

Edited by peter

wracing

To be honest standard management if far far better than 90% of the after market offerings out there. you do seam to want any new features so why not keep the ecu? learn how to use tuner pro its a great tool.

If you can get a bin file for your current ecu i can do you a tuner studio definition.

James

• Like 1

wicked

@ james; did you ever succeed in remapping a motronic 3.1? In theory it's simple, but making a new checksum etc is not easy if you don't have inside info about the memory mapping etc.

• Like 1

wracing

I have done the MP3.2 (S16 ecu) & MS41.1 from my BMW 328s.

James

peter

You quite right I don't need anti lag or any other features, just up the rpm limit back the ignition off and increase the injector duty cycle.

The current map is totally fine for cruise and light load. So it all ready has a good base map so to speak.

I've been hunting for a bin file for this ecu for a while and never found one, I've got one for an e36 m3 but to be totally honest I don't know what I'm looking at.

Is it possible to download the file from the EPROM? Then I could compare that to the s16 ecu to see the difference for the rpm limit.

I really really want to learn how to map an ecu. :-)

wracing

You need to find out the part number on top of the prom and then get a reader/writer to suit. If your handy at electronics they are quite easy to build if you have a parallel port on your computer. don't remove the sticky tape!

Don't bother with trying to find one off the internet subtle differences can waste a lot of your time :)

The checksum is the hardest thing to do. If you can expose the BDM port or similar it makes the job very easy.

James

• Like 1

peter

I'd have to use a USB to parallel port for my laptop, I was looking at buying an EPROM reader willem? to save a bit of time and effort, ill take the ecu apart tomorrow to check the EPROM, what tape should I not remove?

Exposing the port shouldn't be hard at all really

Edit, the uv erase sticker/tape :)

Edited by peter

wracing

The tape on top of the prom some of them are uv erasable so if it has tape on it don't remove it.

The MP3.1 is Motarola/freescale based so it should have a bdm port close to the processor.

How good are you at electronics and understanding micro controllers? its a very steep learning curve if you haven't had any experiences of it before.

A quick guide it.

Study the processor datasheet understand what modules it has this will help you ascertain how the Checksum is calculated.

Back up the PROM.

Use winOLS to find a map and change is program your prom

Connect bdm step through the program (Make sure you enable logging in your debugger)

because you have changed the program and not changed the Checksum it will stall and no to some nop address or into an infinite loop. when it does this you can view in the log what operations are done and from what address the checksum is read from. (You will need to understand ASM language).

Now you have your checksum value and where is stored you can now start making some changes that wont cause to processor to hang :)

Once you have figured this out let me know and ill talk you through how to find the rev limit.

James

peter

I did 'systems and control' at a-level but that was 7 years ago, I know logic gates and hex values but not a lot more tbh it probably will be a steep learning curve but I'm at the point where it needs to be done.

Off to learn asm language...

wracing

time to find a programmer, and remove the IC and socket is you quick removal. With that sort you can program them in situ but i wouldnt advise it :)

Thanks

James

peter

I've been looking at programmers but not sure which, I've heard the willems ones are ok and obviously it needs a 32pin one but appart from that I'm not too sure.

What would you advise?

Cheers!

wracing

I have built my own and have an old rs programmer from my 8051 days.to be honest i have just had a quick look round and if you have to buy chip programmer, BDM interface, a couple of spare proms you are looking at around £300

if your doing one car its not really economical

James

wicked

On ebay you'll find some programmers from china for 30-40 quid....

I have been looking into this in the past and I think there was a difference between the early 2.0T ecu's and the late ones... (different EPROM)

peter
wracing

the first item seams popular. I have no experiences of ebay BDM interfaces I use one from PEMicro.

Take a picture of your ecu circuit board

Thanks

James

peter
image_zps2c9fb461.jpg

wracing

Hve you got a higher resolution picture of the processor.

peter

i dont im afraid. Ill get one tomorrow, had a long day, then started race preparing an M3 evo.

Which is the processor?

wracing

would appear to be the Siemens IC, but could also do with knowing the large IC next to it. when you get the PROM downloaded to me send it to me and ill have a look