• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Uberderv

[Engine_Work] Peugeot 205 Hdi

Uberderv

Not a lot to show recently but I will get this up to date ( especially after deleting all my pics on phone :unsure: ). With the rad lowered I had planned on using a Range Rover P38 oil cooler for the chargecooler pre-rad. It fits in the space perfectly but I am quite aware that its far to small once I start tuning the engine.

IMG_20130712_232759_zps3210f25d.jpg

IMG_20130712_232722_zpsb7958246.jpg

I have also tried fitting a 2wd cosworth intercooler in the gap but the engine is just to close to use it. I am considering turning the intercooler into a rad as it has a much larger capacity than the oil cooler but I will explore other options first.

Other little jobs I have been up to are - repairing sheared bonnet hinges, Fitting bonnet pins as the bonnet pin gets in the way, Bonding arches back on, Raising the front bumper by 10mm to keep the gap under the lights as small as poss. Oh and testing my top secret bumper restorer

....................................................................................................................................................................................................Cherry Blossom :ph34r:

IMG_20131019_120818_zps3e95abe6.jpg

IMG_20131019_120809_zpsbf4d9aa6.jpg

Edited by Uberderv

blacksmoke2.0

after many frustrating nights trying to reset passwords and find my user name ive decided to register a new account.

anyway did this conversion actually get anywhere?

i'm on doing a hdi conversion in my 205 gti and have a total different aproach to this. it's a lot easier and more straight forward than what this project makes it out to be.

Uberderv

Yeah the engine is in an runs smooth as owt, when driven (on a private road) it feels quick even for 90hp. I'm just sorting rear brakes, fuel tank and lift pump. Personal issues have severely delayed the MOT date but I'm getting back into it now.

Any details on your conversion?

Its not meant to make it look complicated, more detailed in case anyone else wants to do it.

Edited by Uberderv

blacksmoke2.0

ive been thinking about doing for years, just never had the car to do it. ive got a 1992 1.6 gti with 90k on it which i'm currently doing the conversion on. basically its got a 306 engine/box with r70 pump, iveco 2.8 turbo daily turbo ,1.6 rail sensor etc...I'm gonna start a new project thread soon when i get a few more bits together.

opticaltrigger

Hi Uberderv,

Just come accross your thread.Great mate.

Really interested in Diesel performance tuning myself.Have you still got plans to do anything performance tuning related with it.?

I did quite alot of work some years ago playing around with injecting different chemicals like propane and toluene into turbo diesel's, with some astonishing results in torque.Allways wanted to try nitrous in a diesel engine but havent got round to it yet.

Anyway's totaly great project mate.

All the very best

O.T.

piglet14

Is this on the road yet?

Could be a good end use for my 406, never liked it anyway.

Uberderv

Hi Opticaltrigger,

Sorry for the mega long delay in replying and thanks for the positive comments.

Water injection pre turbo has always interested me but i've never really experimented with chemicals except for 2-EHN and Acetone in my 406 which runs on waste vegetable oil. When I eventually get in on the road i would like to experiment with fuel pumps and different injectors plus a VNT turbo setup.

Piglet14-

Unfortunatley it is not on the road yet, when I posted last we had to move house again which put the car on the bottom of the to do list. I have been collecting parts to get it finished but at the minute its in the back under a cover as I discovered the sunroof had leaked allowing about 2" of water to settle in the drivers footwell.

To get the car up to date-

I decided that the chargecooler idea although good was not going to be good enough due to the pre rad being too small. After much searching i settled on intercooling it. First I bought the intercooler fitted to a Cosworth, this fitted in the gap above the radiator but I felt there was too much space either side which could be better used.

IMG_20140201_104222_zpsxs9q38bp.jpg

After a fair bit of research I found the intercooler off a BMW was perfect, it had the inlet/outlet pointing straight out and compleltey fills the void from the lowered radiator.

Screenshot_2014-01-13-08-54-48_zps5pripo

So once this was purchased I had to make new boost pipes in 54mm stainless. It was clear from the mock ups that the original fuel filter was going to be in the way so off it came with its mounting bracket.

20140327_225718_zps0144b58b.jpg

With the new intercooler fitted and the boost pipes finished I re positioned the airfilter and the TPS. The TPS required me to make the cable shorter which was done by making a mold from wood, cutting the cable to length then making a new blob on the end out of solder.

20140526_221029_zpsustuajmz.jpg

Not a very good pic but the blob on the end of the cable sits inside the TPS at about 6 O'clock on the pic. The new shorter cable allowed me to fit the TPS behind the drivers headlight on a bracket.

Here is a pic of the engine bay which I took the other day, I still need to sort the fuel filter out but that can wait as I am fitting new fuel lines from tank to filter. You can also see the new location for the TPS.

IMG_20160207_131005_zpswcxytvwm.jpg

I have also fitted 266mm brakes, 15" speedlines which makes the car look alot better than the 14" version.

IMG_20160207_130945_zpsnnpmdsgc.jpg

Things left to do are-

Fit drivers belt.

Fit GTI fuel tank.

Fit 10mm Nylon fuel lines.

Fit a 406 HDI fuel pump in the original housing.

Sort the interior out as its been damp in there for quite a while.

Edited by Uberderv

Paul_13

Nicely done, is the MAF just under the header tank?

Edited by Paul_13

Uberderv

Yeah the pipework is 3" at that point so fits nicely. I am a bit concerned about it being so close to the exhaust with heat etc... But if it turns out to be a prob I'll move it closer to the filter.

3oh6

Did you manage to get the last bits sorted?

• Like 1

lybker

Hey Pete

Hope things are clearing up, and as others I am looking forward to seeing your project progress. How about an update :-)