• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 Supercharged

Garry

Another weekend on the car. It was actually quite pleasant sat out in the sunshine, much better than the wind and rain last weekend.

Last weekend I managed to strip the thread from my 13row x 235mm oil cooler I was planning to use on the supercharger cooling circuit. So I bought a 10 row x 115mm cooler from Ebay. I asked for ½’’ BSP fittings, but it arrived with -6An fittings. To save the hassle of sending it back and trying to find a different one I bought new fittings from Think Automotive to suit.

270408007.jpg

I had already bought a new 19row x 235mm cooler for the engine oil, which fitted nicely behind the fog light cut out. Both of the coolers were mounted using some brackets bought from Focus.

270408006.jpg

I painted the intercooler using Satin black Stove paint, which is heat resistant and will help hide the intercooler until I get really close! I mounted the intercooler in position using some threaded bar, washers and nuts fixed to the lower brace that runs along the front of the engine bay.

270408001.jpg

I trial fitted the throttle body and air filter to get an idea of the finished product.

270408005.jpg

270408011.jpg

I have also plumbed in the fuel lines, engine oil lines and supercharger oil lines, but I didn’t take any pictures yesterday.

It’s starting to look like a car again now, a great white springs to mind from this angle!

270408012.jpg

The car has to be completed next weekend ready to be ready to go to DES Developments for a new Group A exhaust, albeit with a 2’’ tail pipe to try and keep the noise down.

On a worrying note, my neighbours have a reported people having a nose around the car when we have been at work. I have taken the wheels of the shell as a precaution, but I am a little concerned to say the least!

Alastairh

In that case mate, get a car cover on it.

Looks good :)

Al

Batfink
In that case mate, get a car cover on it.

Looks good :)

Al

and insure it!

Garry

It is covered and insured, but it annoys me that someone has been on my property looking at my stuff. I am out at work to pay for this, and some f***er decides they will just take it!

easypug

Are you not going to be running with a fan then? Also how much space is there behind the grill as my intercooler will be slightly larger.

Garry

Yes, there will be a fan. I am putting a 'sucker' to the right of the air filter. I don't think there is room between the rad and intercooler, I have about 50mm or so between them and the fan is 48mm I think.

The grill sits surprisingly far forwards, so there is a fair bit of space. behind it.

tom_m
270408012.jpg

subtle :)

Daz_C
Yes, there will be a fan. I am putting a 'sucker' to the right of the air filter. I don't think there is room between the rad and intercooler, I have about 50mm or so between them and the fan is 48mm I think.

The grill sits surprisingly far forwards, so there is a fair bit of space. behind it.

Is the Radiator holding the Grill out or the intercooler ? You should be able to move the radiator back abit between the headlights to allow the grill to sit back to its original position. Or haven't you got the room ? I had looked at this when I had the Rad built and on both my 205's the Grill didn't sit too bad at all.

Ah so your up this way next week then - you could pop in and take me for a spin if i've finished work before you head off home ? :)

Also on a more serious note if you need any modding of the radiator brackets or anything (as I didn't have it designed for your application) then if you have time you could arrange to go to Radtec and have any adjustments made while your up this way ?

There about 10-15mins from Des.

Garry

There are no problems with the Radiator Daz or the grill, it all fits! I meant that as standard the grill sits further forward and more upright than I thought.

Garry

Evening all, got my new dummy Power steering pump today from Rich Walker. I have to say I am really chuffed with it, much better than running an actual pump in a closed loop as I had originally planned.

030508001.jpg

030508002.jpg

You may remember earlier on in the thread I made up a template for the pump and forwarded the details to Rich, the ‘pump’ had to be notched to clear the radiator.

From this:

190408009.jpg

To this:

030508008.jpg

030508007.jpg

Garry

I got the drive belt fitted to the charger aswell. I spent ages sodding around with the tensioner pulley trying to bend it back in order to fit the belt, I tried hitting it with various hammers, levering it with various screw drivers and chisels, taking it off and utilising the wife to hit it whilst I levered it (note: very risky activity). I then resorted to the Haynes manual (under wife’s instruction) although by this time I was convinced it was seized, low and behold all I needed to do was insert a ratchet into the square hole and lever it down! With that sorted progress could continue albeit with a very smug wife/ assistant :ph34r: .

030508016.jpg

I had to cut a section out of the inner wing to clear one of the belt tensioners

030508017.jpg

030508015.jpg

I fitted my new SPAL 10’’ Fan, note the fitting kit is some long thin pins that slide through the radiator between the fins:

030508005.jpg

030508014.jpg

I finished plumbing in the supercharger fluid circuit, the black cylinder with the blue cap to the left of the headlight opening is the header tank.

030508011.jpg

030508012.jpg

Also a pic of the 19 row engine oil cooler fitted:

030508010.jpg

taylorspug

I really like how you have mounted the coolers, nice idea putting them there. Everything on it looks superb, you have obviously put alot of thought and effort into the whole thing. Its nice to see projects being done this way instead of just bashed together. Well done!

Out of interest, how much did the fan setup set you back?

Garry

Fan was £50 from ebay, it is supposed to be a genuine SPAL, but I am not convinced. The fitting kit was £6 delivered, alot of money for what it is but, it does the job and has saved me some time trying to make it fit.

• Like 1

DrSarty

Crackin' job SCGazza.

:)

28CRAIG

Looking very nice there mate but you better pull your finger out if it's to be done for this weekend :P

WhartonMotorsport

Just out or interest is that kind of power not going to be too much?

They say anything above 225BHP ish is too much for a front wheel drive car and this will probably have more than that.

How do you plan to ensure the power is useable? :rolleyes:

dan

Garry

I should be OK, the 400 bhp 306 manages with traction, so I should be alright.

It doesn't create mega torque and it is a very smooth delivery, more revs more power, so it should be quite controlable.

tidypug

Do you need to run 2 pumps or can you use one uprated one instead?

I hope you can get it running in time for your track day. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Garry

You can run off the standard pump for the low boost, as you keep the same fuel pressure (3bar) the I would suggest the high boost setup needs a bigger pump.

I am running 2 pumps due to fitting a swirl pot, to stop fuel surge whilst on track.

JamieTonks

well done mate. who's this bloke who is supplying you with the stuff

easypug

Richard Walker supplies the supercharger stuff. Rich_W I think he is on 306drivers and rich_gti6 on here.

You need to run 4 bar fuel pressure for the high boost set up and a 255 lph pump.

tidypug

thats ok then, as mine will be a road car

Garry

Just a very quick update as i am pushed for time!

It runs! :rolleyes::ph34r::D

And it is very very fast. B)

I haven't driven it much as there still loads of fiddly things that need finishing. I worked on it yesterday from 7am til 11pm yesterday.

Thanks all that have contributed and helped along the way.

There will be a proper update with pics and vids when I get back from the 'ring and Spa.

Garry

rich_gti6
Just a very quick update as i am pushed for time!

It runs! :ph34r::DB)

And it is very very fast. B)

I haven't driven it much as there still loads of fiddly things that need finishing. I worked on it yesterday from 7am til 11pm yesterday.

Thanks all that have contributed and helped along the way.

There will be a proper update with pics and vids when I get back from the 'ring and Spa.

Garry

Well done Garry. Congratulations on having the first Rotrex Supercharged 205 GTi-6!

Are you a happy man then?

I can imagine its very very fast - you'll have to take me for a ride sometime!

I'm glad it's been a success - this conversion is definitely bolt-on tuning at it's best!

I shall look forward to the vids and pics…

Rich

:rolleyes: