• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tuuba

[Engine_Work] 205 1.9Gti Tic >ew10J4S Tic

Tuuba

Hi!

At the start I tell you a little bit of the car itself: It`s a 205 1.9GTi from year 1987 with XU9JA 130hp engine. I bought it thre years ago and then it was sad looking old and seriosly raped by couple of ex teenagers. It worked somehow but it wasn´t in good shape at all. First I overhauled the engine, but after two months, I started a turbo conversion. In second winter, when turbocharged engine was proven functional, it was time to strip down the whole car and do a little bit body makeover. So the whole car is now like a new. Engine runs with E85 fuel and gives about 300hp (calculated, not checked at dyno). 0-160 time with standard tires was 9.3 secs at autumn, not so bad...

The car was in three shows last summer and one magazine made an article from it. We don´t have so many 205´s here which is in good condition, so I´m very happy for the result. This was my first car project and turbo conversion project.

Few photos where it stands at the time:

P5050069.JPG​

P5050051.JPG​

P5050036.JPG​

This engine will get retired now... Garrett T3/4 + Siemens DEKA V 875cc injectors. 240 flywheel hp with pump gas, about 300hp with ethanol.

P5050058.JPG​

BUT!

Now it´s time to do something new :)

This is obviously common thing in UK, but here in Finland, no one has yet made this conversion into any (road)car. I supposed to build a typical Mi16 Turbo, but when I got it don, I sold it and bought this EW. It´s from 2005 206 RC, which did suck water, thanks to great K&N Typhoon filter kit, which takes in alla smallen than a squirrell from asphalt. One on the pistons and conrods were brokn, but anything else wasn´t broke, luckily. Engine has been running only 100 000 km so it is like a new at other parts.

My plan is to make it turbocharged, and my habit is to get to know what engine can handle with OE parts and design. So let´s see it then :)

Planned mods for the powerline are:

- Custom built Garrett GT40 charger with.88 Motorsport turbine housing etc. + External 38mm wastegate + DIY stainless (AISI409) manifold.

- Megasquirt III based Finnish ATDriveboard ECU + 4-ch EGT + Innovate MTX-L WB + SD card Logging + Bluetooth + Samsung Galaxy Tab II as in extra instrument/gauge screen.

- Cable driven 70mm Billet throttle body with RC OE intake manifold

- 3" exhaust with one Simons silencer

- Original BE4R gearbox, flavoured with Quaife ATB and RC´s cable gear selector (thanks to exhaust, 205 own doesn´t fit anymore, oops)

It was easy to make custom engine fitting when I took one scrap and cutted the whole front end into my garage :D (if you wonder why engine bay is so rusty and white in some of the pictures :D)

Few photos from fitting:

WP_20140104_20_18_31_Pro.jpg

First fitments into scrap engine bay (this is the separate "fitment bay" very useful and handy!

WP_20140101_21_18_56_Pro.jpgDIY Upper mount

WP_20140302_19_22_10_Pro.jpg

Manifold

WP_20140308_19_06_36_Pro.jpgâ€WP_20140308_19_06_56_Pro.jpgâ€

Empty engine shell but taken off from fitting. It fits perfectly :)

WP_20131128_18_06_33_Pro.jpg

Reason and cause why I have this engine...

I´m very sorry if the images are too big, don´t expect that one dumb Finnish guy can us a computer, just look at his writing ;)

• Like 2

cybernck

Very interesting project!

How are you going to control the variable valve timing though, if that's what the engine normally has anyway?

That conrod looks all too familiar unfortunately:

307breaknck_141.thumb.jpg

Tuuba

My ECU has a full support for VVT, first we try to control it in fully variable PWM but if that seems too difficult we make it like on/off type. But if they use it with BMW VANOS system with success, I think we can manage.

What happened with your conrods? My engine had a hydrolock (cylinder filled with water, thanks to that air filter which was in front of left front wheel behind foglight and guy drove onto a large pond ow water on higway @ full throttle) by previous owner. But the real blessing is that the conrod is still in one piece. We don´t have a block anymore if that went cutoff. I already had a plan to order custom CP pistons and Carrillo rods @1800€ but at the last second, I found one rod/piston combo from british E-Bay @27 pounds :D

Let´s see first what it can handle with OE parts and we make EVO II more rigidly then. We must remember that this body doesn´t need 400-500hp, 300-350hp is enough for FWD 900kg car (at first) and I think this can be done with STD parts with ethanol easily. Because so did that old 8V XU. Only mod in engine was baffled Mi16 aluminum sump :)

Edited by Tuuba

Kev-G

First evolution of the car (1.9 8v) looks stunning. Excellent workmanship. Could do with a small drop on the rear IMO.

I like the colour....What is it? Can't make up my mind if it suits the 205 or not though.. :D

I also like the rear mud-flaps....A bit neater than full-size, but still protect the rear valance.

What are the mirrors from?

Tuuba

First evolution of the car (1.9 8v) looks stunning. Excellent workmanship. Could do with a small drop on the rear IMO.

I like the colour....What is it? Can't make up my mind if it suits the 205 or not though.. :D

I also like the rear mud-flaps....A bit neater than full-size, but still protect the rear valance.

What are the mirrors from?

Thanks! My way to do things is that you don´t have to shame your quality of work :) I´m kind of esthetic person or something...

Rear axle is just been repaired and yes, I dropped it a little bit. I had same opinion =)

The colour is Citroen´s EHJ - Rouge Pivoine (rose red). Earlier owner had sprayed that color already but quality was s**t an lacquer stripped down with pressure washer etc. I looked other colors, but when my painter did me a sample piece, I made my mind. It acts very neat in sunshine. Looks dark in shadow, put shines up in sun. I think it suits fine now. I didn´t want same red or black because my friends have those :)

Mud flaps are little bit too small, but I agree: I don´t want big ones either.

Mirrors are originals.

I wanted the car look as much normal stock GTi as possible but with a little makeup, such as that spoiler and wheels. Intercooler is also quite good hidden in there so in traffic, no one will guess it´s powers. Few BMW drivers has already been little desperate one of them was E39 M5, apologies to that guy... :D

Now when the EW comes, I have less space in front, so i hope I don´t get into troubles with cooler fittings. I wouldn´t want to put IC anymore visible.

Pics where you see the sunlight effect on the paint:

20130501_145909.jpg​

20130329_180131.jpg​

20130328_155832.jpg​

allanallen

Nice project, I look forward to seeing it progress :)

And excellent results with the old 8valve motor too!

Tuuba

Yes, good old D6B was surpsisingly good! I had few issues with pump gas and STD liners, I cracked #4 cylider liner twice before I swapped them to Mi16 ones. Real reason was too much ignition advance, which we noticed at the dyno. It was quite sensitive to detonation, but with 0,7bar boost, about 12 degrees advance it gave 208whp/270Nm (about 240 engine hp) with old T03 from Aero Saab. After that, old turbo resigned and I swapped T3/4 version and got an idea of changing fuel to E85. I added bosch Motorsport -044 pump. I made 3" Downpipe and exhaust and gave it a go. Then it was time for tracday and I didnt manage to get into dyno before it. My friend mapped it while driving and with 1bar boost, 875cc Siemens injectors were 95% open and still AFR was round 12,5-12,9 @ mid range. So if we carefully calculate the power, it might have been around 300hp. The it blew by my own stupidity: Plastic coolant hose flange behind block was cracked by violent downpipe maker and it spitted coolant out at the track... It is still working but when it really gets excited, oil stick pops up, oil spills from there and coolant is everywhere :D

Still, I managed to get a little performance figures out, though head gasket is dead:

0-100: 5 secs

0-160: 9,3 secs

Tested on a road, with road tires (chinese plastic :D) and at night wit mist on teh asphalt. I thinki t´s a good time and I was very happy :)

Here´s a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5e4oXeBw7s

Here´s couple more:

Video from fist dyno /w turbo, before full overhaul (You´ll see the engine bay is red etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXF0Uv7dQCo

Ooold video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rHqW6tMbE

Couple trackday videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA3QreyBPQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ll4juaBoGI

My friend drove and it hit a fence. Only the red stripe on a bumper and his Ego was hurt :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0bF9NU1UYU

Edited by Tuuba

Schumi

Another nice EW10 swapped 205. :) Good job. But I think 11.0:1 Compression ratio to high for 1 bar turbo charging even on E85. You need docompression plate :) Like what I did for my friend.

http://i.imgur.com/JMaiWVi.jpg

If you interesting this I can send you DXF file so you can go to lasershop and made your own decompression plate.

Its for EW10 engine. Same for GTI and GTI 180/RC (EW10J4 and EW10J4S)

Tuuba

Some progress has happened, but still some things to do. Ex. manifold is at welder, I might have it back next week. Now, I´m starting to do wiring loom for ECU.

I´m very happy that the look of the car remains as "sleeper", from outside, you still don´t know what it has inside :)​

Intercooler is in same place, but I had to move coolant radiator about 4cm more forward, so I must put one 300mm sucking fan behind it... Radiator is from VW Golf III 2.0 GTi, you can´t fit much more larger than that.

I hope I can get it running before Pugfest, we are coming to visit there, with my 407 sw though. Journey is about 5500km long so we have to come with little more comfy car (my wife insists!) But it would be nice to have a little ride before with this little bastard :D​

Few pics attached

post-22118-0-30774500-1401132812_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-61509600-1401132847_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-79350700-1401132862_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-37730400-1401132926_thumb.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

You using VW/Audi FSI coils?

Looks same as the one I bought for the T16, just black instead of red. Nice and good looking build :)

• Like 1

Tuuba

Yep, they are VAG 1.8T / TFSi ones. Let´s see how long do they last, good thing that they don´t cost much and you can get them almost from the milkman :lol:​

2052NV

Is that a custom throttle body? Looks very nice!!

wicked

Nice car!!! If it's ready before Pugfest, you have to bring it!!! Give the lady some earplugs and promise her to go shopping in London or so ...

Tuuba

Is that a custom throttle body? Looks very nice!!

"This car is built using genuine E-Bay parts" :D

70mm Universal TB from China, pretty good actually, bearings OK, tidy flap and good finishing. 205´s throttle cable/pedal just opens it fully open without mods. TPS sensor needed new adapter but it was easily done from PEHD plastic disc.

MAP/MAT sensor is fitted from VW 1,9 TDi, fits when you cut off both bolt flanges ande make a metal clip that presses it on it´s hole. After that, it was fully Bolt-On :P

Idle control valve is a stepper type from Renault Megane.

Clutch cable is from Citroen Berlingo (with auto adjuster) so I had to build the pedal end to fit and make a little space for adjuster.

I also fitted 206 cable assisted gear levers and knob with adapter plate from original gear knob, so I didn´t have to mod the body itself at all (except 40mm hole for cables)

And when the new engine had a Steering pump, I digged one 306 HDi steering rack from backyard.

Thanks to new gear linkages, it now has really good space for at least 3,5" Downpipe...

post-22118-0-43944700-1401200172_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-06941500-1401200687_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-92676400-1401200709_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-67848100-1401200730_thumb.jpg

post-22118-0-90993300-1401200780_thumb.jpg

Tuuba

Little bit of progress has been done, I have a bit of hope that I get to test it before Pugfest, but lets see... Ex. manifold is still at welder. Wiring loom has been done and ECU is attached.

WP_20140607_23_16_15_Pro.jpg

As usual, things got out of hand and I bought an I7O expander for the ECU, so now I´m doing it with anti-slip system (ASR), gyroscope and full data collection. I install all pressure and temperature sensors through ECU so I can replace OE gauge cluster with 7" touch screen (Samsung GalaxyTab II) an get all data I need with enough accuracy. But in phase one, I use original dash and sensors, it´s enough work already to get engine with all electronics to operate properly. VVT is a little mystery but I think we can operate it with no problems.

ECU and Xpander: Made in Finland.

WP_20140605_21_28_27_Pro.jpg

And YAY, I can lower it down a bit, .33L beer can still fits below oil pan :D

WP_20140529_19_38_17_Pro.jpg

Tuuba

YAY!

In couple of days, this little princess will sing! Just before Pugfest, as I planned =)

I can tell you, it wasn´t easy to fit all those pipes behind the engine but somehow I managed (about 20 cigarettes, hundreds of lost hair an on 2nd degree burn :D)

It begins to have a few millimeter tolerance in everything that needs to be fitted but it´s worth it =)

Few pics, more info later:

WP_20140702_19_57_25_Pro+%25281%2529.jpg​

WP_20140702_21_42_28_Pro.jpg​

WP_20140702_21_42_45_Pro.jpg​

WP_20140702_21_43_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20140702_21_45_58_Pro.jpg​

2052NV

I cant see pics in the last two posts... is this just me?? :(

Weser

Working ok for me! Lovely motor!

Tuuba

First show over and car is ready to run! Now if only I can manage some time on my schedyle to get it mapped and MOT.

Some little job there still is, like making proper air intake. Now there´s only cone filter and very bad looking hose between it and turbo. But that´s little problem!

Few pics:

WP_20140727_15_48_58_Pro.jpg

​WP_20140727_15_51_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20140727_15_51_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20140727_15_52_30_Pro.jpg

So specs for my 205:

Year 1987 205 GTi 1.9 130bhp originally

Body/Chassis/brakes:

- Koni Sport suspension +60mm lowering springs

- 306 HDi brakes

- 406 HDi master brake cyl.

- Manually adjustable bias valve,

- Steering rack from 306 HDi, with 206 GTi180 power steering pump.

- Sparco R100 seats + 4-point harnesses

- Ph. 1,5 interior from ´90 1.6 GTI

- Ph.2 rear lights and rear wiring harness.

- Battery in boot.

Engine:

EW10J4S 2.0 16V from ´05 206 GTi180/RC

- Stock internals

- VVT in use

- 11:1 Compression ratio.

- Ethanol fuel (E85)

- Bosch 044 fuelpump + Aeromotive regulator (installed under the boot, 1 line system)

- Megasquirt 3 based ATDriveboard ECU

- Fully sequential injection with Siemens DEKA V 875cc injectors

- VAG 1.8T redtop COP ignition

- Stainless steel exhaust manifold+ 3" Downpipe made by me.

- 38mm external wastegate

- Garrett GT40 modified turbocharger with .88 Motorsport turbine housing and custom blades.

- 3" Exhaust with one 2,5" Simons rear muffler.

- ECU guided boost control.

- VW Golf III GTi coolant radiator.

Coming soon:

I/O extender for ECU and traction control system, also all measuring instruments via ECU. Standard 205 GTi dashboard will change into tablet, showing me all possible gauge data I need.

Gyroscope and other cool stuff..

Driveline:

HDi Clutch

BE4R gearbox from 206 GTi180

Quaife ATB LSD

206 GTi180 gear lever system with cable shift.

etc.

Will be continued...

waiy

I also have a EW engine too, planning to put it in my 205 later, just miss the engine mount, will you sell the enigne mount?

Tuuba

I also have a EW engine too, planning to put it in my 205 later, just miss the engine mount, will you sell the enigne mount?

Unfortunately, I don´t have a spare one. You have to make upper right and that lower fork must be few centimeters longer. Gearbox mount will do as original. Another thing what came in mind, if you install the whole package with BE4R gearbox, engine is in 15 degree angle and you have to be sure to lift it as up as it goes with bonnet closed. Otherways you don´t have so much clearance under the car. Mine has about 9cm ground clearance measured from oil sump, so it has to be modified also. Meaning that you cut off that niche and weld the bottom straight with new oil plug. That gives you about 5cm more gap between the sump and ground. Then the sump needs proper splash plates.

unariciflocos

Very nice car.

I've been thinking about building a tablet dash myself with a bluetooth I/O module just to gain some new much needed Android programming knowledge, but so many things to do on the mechanical side that I don't think it

waiy

Unfortunately, I don´t have a spare one. You have to make upper right and that lower fork must be few centimeters longer. Gearbox mount will do as original. Another thing what came in mind, if you install the whole package with BE4R gearbox, engine is in 15 degree angle and you have to be sure to lift it as up as it goes with bonnet closed. Otherways you don´t have so much clearance under the car. Mine has about 9cm ground clearance measured from oil sump, so it has to be modified also. Meaning that you cut off that niche and weld the bottom straight with new oil plug. That gives you about 5cm more gap between the sump and ground. Then the sump needs proper splash plates.

Thanks Tuunba