• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gman

Milltek Exhaust - Anyone Tried One?

Gman

My standard exhaust is blowing but fancy going for a stainless, but I'm not a fan of the larger exhaust tips/ outer rolled/inner rolled etc. Milltek have released an exhaust as part of their classic range, but it's pretty pricey.

I rated the quality on my clio trophy, and the exhaust tip is fairly unfussy - just a straight cut polished pipe.

Just wondering if anyone has tried one out?

Hheppy

I am having one put on mine shortly and if you are on the facebook groups there is a guy called Chris Hughes who has recently had one fitted, he might be able to help you.

he did say that the note was slightly deeper than the standard exhaust, but not too loud.

I got a 15% discount because I had spoken to them at the Autosport show in January and the Classic Car show in November last year, both at the NEC, which I am sure you attended too!

Gman

Thanks for the heads up Andrew! Let me know how yours sounds once you've got it fitted.

Cheers

welshpug

Their older stuff was good, uncertain about the more recent stuff they're knocking out, a friend works for a place that used to use a fair bit of Milltek but have moved up to Akrapovic now!

Gman

I think they remain of good quality, although the Akrapovic stuff if something else!

Perhaps a stupid question, but as Miles fitted my engine for me, could any full exhaust system bolt straight on to the gti6 exhaust manifold? From memory the downpipe needed modifying and lambda boss fitted, so assume the same would need to be done on the Milltek, or any other manifold-back system I presume?

Thanks

Pugleyrich

I'm also interested to hear more on this - I think my exhaust is on the way out. How much are they? I can't seem to find a price

Gman

ca. £540 for a full system (excl. manifold), but a 15% discount may be possible according to Andrew's post above.

welshpug

crikey!

Gman

Does seem very steep. My cat back system on my old Clio Trophy was only around 380, and that had two back boxes!

Henry Yorke

Personally I am not a fan of the tailpipe on the Miltek as it would look better if they had made it a stainless version of the original which bent down and had the same size silencers. For the little mileage that most people do in the 205's now, you may as well fit a mild steel one as it will last forever, especially if garaged and used on dry days.

I haven't a clue on the quality though, but if I wanted a sports exhaust I would look for a period looking one like a 3" Magnex back box as there are plenty around still.

£540?.... you can buy a whole 205 for that! Oh wait, that was 2 years ago....

Simes

Just make the standard one fit.

Any decent exhaust place can knock up an adaptor to allow it to fit.

Allows you to buy off the shelf and no baked bean can sized tailpipe!

Miles

I have the stainless D/P's on the shelf and if your not fussed about polished stainless finish I do need a car to jig up a std type system at cost as I will be bringing out a proper OE exhaust system

nomis

I need a full exhaust and had considered the Milltek one too but had been put off by a combination of cost and fear that it might be too rowdy.

I currently have a standard exhaust of some form fitted by a previous owner who also removed the middle box, sounds OK if a bit loud on A and B roads but really booms on the motorway.

I was considering a Walker system as a replacement.

Are you looking at doing a full exhaust system, Miles?

allanallen

Have to agree, the miltek tailpipe looks rubbish. The system looks decent quality but the design is nothing like an original. Just another aftermarket system with a high price tag.

Hheppy

I'm putting the milltek system on a Dimma, I don't want a 3 inch Magnex as they are too loud (in my opinion), I have seen the milltek at the Classic show last year and it looked good, the tail pipe at 2.5 inches is about the right size for my project, I even had the owner of a T16 measure the tail pipe and it as a 2.5 inch one too.

The feed back I have had is that they aren't that loud, which again is what I am after, for the purists out there the fact that the tail pipe is straight and doesn't copy the original design will be a bug bear.

When I bought my car, 3 yrs ago, it had a Magnex system on it, which I replaced with a standard mild steel version, I have to say that has been fine, especially as I only tend to use the car in the dry and keep it garaged the rest of the time, just as Henry said above.

I will gladly let you know what it sounds like once it is fitted.

acox99

2.5" sounds rather large for a system that is meant to be a direct replacement for a standard 1.6/1.9. 2-2.25 would be the ideal/max pipe diameter I would have thought.

Redtop

Since most if not all people on this thread are just making a lot of asumptions on the miltek system, it might be better to get more information from those people that have actually got one of the systems or fitted it themselves before making your mind up on whether it's good or bad.

I have a new miltek system that I'm currently fitting to one of my cars which is more or less a standard 205 gti. I've only got round to looking at it tonight. Now in the kit it comes complete with new rubber mounts for the hangers and a new flange seal and the kit of bolts for mounting the down pipe. The problem I noticed with it, is that the bolts are too short for the spring and nut kit. The genuine Peugeot ones are longer and this is needed to get the part fitted, instead of the ones supplied in kit. I was doing this with the subframe out, as I was doing other work to the car, but it would be very awkward to mount the down pipe with the subframe in situ imo.

I will fit the rest of the system once I get my subframe back from being painted, as the engine is not sitting at the right angle, with the bottom mount off. Once this is all back in place I will know better how well the system fits and also what difference in sound is. So far the quality of the system where the bends are and also the welds look very good.

• Like 1

Redtop

I have now fitted the complete milltek system to my car. The only awkward part as I've said in the previous post is the front clamp. I am fortune enough to have my own 2 post ramp, but if your considering fitting one of these, it'd be a lot easier to have access to a ramp. As far as aftermarket exhausts go and from what I've fitted to cars in the past, this is a very good quality fitting exhaust and all the clamps and hangers line up correctly. Price wise yes they are expensive enough, but where I'm from you can't get a proper exhaust made up for any less, that wouldn't be a hash together/poor workmanship.

Hheppy

Mine is on my car now too, sound wise it is definitely louder than the standard system and has a deeper sound to it, I have only driven the car a short distance so unable to comment yet at cruising speed etc but in terms of a product, it is well made and for my purpose, which was to go on a Dimma it is a great fit and really looks the part without being a massive noise box stuck out the back end.

I should be able to give you more feedback once I've got the car home and have had a drive around.

Gman

That would be great Andrew - cheers.

Richard - any feedback on the sound compared to a standard system?

• Like 1

Redtop

Definitely notice a sound difference Gman. Now mine was a bosal that was fitted some 10+ odd years ago and I was needing replaced. But it's a decent note, not too loud. You could tell the difference with my totally standard 1.6 [bosal], compared to this on my 1.9 [standard except the milltek exhaust].

Hheppy

should have said, mine was on a standard system before the milltek

Hheppy

Very pleased with how it sounds, slightly deeper on idle, but you can't tell from inside, nice rasp at about 3000 revs and not too loud at all, I managed 200 miles the other weekend and it was great.

there is a clip on youtube if you look for "Prise de son ligne echappement Milltek 205 GTI"

16 seconds worth!

nomis

What's it like in the motorway? I ideally want something that doesn't boom at 70 to 80 which is what mine does now.

Hheppy

Not used it on the motorway yet, tend to avoid them like the plague. Will let you know if I do venture on to one, might be around Pugfest time if I do.