• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

changingman

Fan Direction? ?

changingman

Hi , I've got a bit of an issue in as much as I am not sure which direction my fans should be turning, clockwise or anti clockwise.

I am wiring In a switch so I can turn them on and off manually from inside the car as the sensor that told the fan when to come on and off didn't always work.

It's a track car so I want full control over it.

I've wired in a switch but all the existing wires to the fans are made up of half a dozen bits of different coloured wire joined together and I have got new wires run but I don't know which way the fans should turn.

The fans run in either direction if I reverse the polarity of the wires.

Thanks

Liam

post-9565-0-86119400-1501793798_thumb.png

Simes

Depends if they suck or blow.

By your picture I'm assuming they blow, check with the manufacturer.

Btw The sensors are £9, I bought one last month.

I hope that there is a relay in there somewhere.......

changingman

Depends if they suck or blow.

By your picture I'm assuming they blow, check with the manufacturer.

Btw The sensors are £9, I bought one last month.

I hope that there is a relay in there somewhere.......

Cheers, I think cold air is drawn from the outside and blown onto the rad so that ties in with what you said.

And no relay, just 30 amp wiring, 30 amp switch on the dash and a 30 amp inline fuse.

I openly admit I know very little about auto electrics !!!

Cheers

Liam

Tom Fenton

I don't understand people's obsession with manual fan switches. In my opinion they are awful. Get distracted by whatever and the car should be able to look after itself. Instead with the wonderful switch it's boil up time. Fit a auto switch in the rad and make it work then forget about it.

• Like 3

changingman

I don't understand people's obsession with manual fan switches. In my opinion they are awful. Get distracted by whatever and the car should be able to look after itself. Instead with the wonderful switch it's boil up time. Fit a auto switch in the rad and make it work then forget about it.

It's not an obsession on my part Tom , if rather the car did what it was supposed to but I have no trust in it so a manual switch it has to be!!!!!!!

I've shagged one 205 and one EVO on track to date and I don't want to add this to the list. Lol!!!

petert

Normally you can flip the fan blade over, depending on whether you want it to suck or push. The direction remains the same.

• Like 1

changingman

Normally you can flip the fan blade over, depending on whether you want it to suck or push. The direction remains the same.

That's interesting to know,thanks.

Biggles

Why not have both ? My fans are on a temperature switch but have a manual override should I feel the need (which I regularly do).

• Like 1

petert

Retaining nut is usually left hand.

• Like 1

changingman

Why not have both ? My fans are on a temperature switch but have a manual override should I feel the need (which I regularly do).

I had thought of that but as it's only ever going to be used on track I decided against it!!

Simes

Me too, the original system is ample.

Just make sure you have the correct switch and thermostat.

30amp wire is huge.

A simple relay set up will be far easier and safer for you.

changingman

30amp wire is huge.

30amp wire is huge.

Yeah I know it is , and using ohms law the ampage will be just under 14 amps but as it's gonna be spent most of its life on I thought I'd better be safer than sorry.

It's wired in now all bar connecting the spades onto the fans which takes seconds once I found out which way the fans should run!!

Cheers for the input.

pug_ham

It's wired in now all bar connecting the spades onto the fans which takes seconds once I found out which way the fans should run!!

Run the fans & see if you can feel air being pushed through the rad with your hand on the other side, if you can that's the way they need to be wired, iirc this should be with the fan spinning clockwise as you look at them, assuming your fans are mounted in the same orientation to the original ones.

g

• Like 1

changingman

Run the fans & see if you can feel air being pushed through the rad with your hand on the other side, if you can that's the way they need to be wired, iirc this should be with the fan spinning clockwise as you look at them, assuming your fans are mounted in the same orientation to the original ones.

g

They are in front of the rad behind the grille.

They are sucking air and blowing it onto the rad so it all good I believe!!!

Cheers.

Liam

Henry Yorke

Dangle a piece of toilet roll in front of the grille to confirm what way it is blowing. It is amazing how many can get wired up wrong.

Also shielding around the rad would force more air through the rad and help your cooling issues

welshpug

most decent fans will have a direction of rotation arrow, and different blades for pull and push.

Simes

Also shielding around the rad would force more air through the rad and help your cooling issues

And / or put them on the other side and suck the heat out.

changingman

Cheers guys, I have lost heart now , all I want to do is cycle cycle cycle, never thought I'd hear myself say that but I've got a track event on aug 23rd at Bedford auto drome and then I'm selling it to concentrate on my cycling.

petert

What bike?

changingman

What bike?

What bike have I got do you mean??

Scott Addict 15 di2 Road Bike ,

Salsa Mamasita 29er,

The Paingiver , Fixed Wheel.

Saracen MTB

petert

Well that's a nice group of bikes. Not a great fan of 29er's however. What's the track event?

changingman

Well that's a nice group of bikes. Not a great fan of 29er's however. What's the track event?

29ers kick ass , much faster than a standard MTB.

The track event is aug 23rd @ Bedford Auto drome , open pit lane!

Edited by changingman